Season 2 officially cancelled (for now)

What was retconned in the anime?

Scenes involving Chai and fighting Lan Di instead of Lan Di leaving in the Helicopter. The Helicopter scene is especially annoying because that was one of the most memorable scenes from the game.

I wasn't all that impressed by the anime anyway, so I can't say I am as disappointed as the rest of you. I thought the art style and animation was mediocre, the voice acting the same and I wasn't a fan of pretty much any of the big changes they made.

There were a lot of people saying that they would hope the story would continue in the form of an anime if a 4th game couldn't be made, I would have hated that personally. I am surprised so many Shenmue fans were okay with the changes and they thought this would be a good substitute to finish the series if we couldn't get anymore games. You're basically saying you're okay with them retconning parts of a story you have immersed yourself in for over 20 years. I would genuinely rather have no end at all than to finish it in anime form. Also, experiencing Shenmue in tv form is nothing compared to actually playing the game where you can fully immerse yourself in the world. It's very hard to immerse yourself in a world and story that has time restrictions.

There has never been a story from a game or book that was improved in the form of a tv show or movie and I still feel that way after watching Shenmue the Animation.
Retconning like the way Suzuki retconned the magic sword in S3? That kind of retconning?

Scenes involving Chai and fighting Lan Di instead of Lan Di leaving in the Helicopter. The Helicopter scene is especially annoying because that was one of the most memorable scenes from the game.
But what did any of that change? Lan Di fights Ryo again but so what? A retcon is a continuity change, not just something that's different. You might say something like Lan Di giving Ryo his cheek scar, but that would depend on whether or not that scar had any significance in the original script which, as of S1-3, was not the case.

Unless the anime becomes the official continuity, I wouldn't exactly call those changes retcons IMHO. Just changes for the sake of accommodating the anime. I knew some changes were going to be inevitable and I was welcoming to a majority of them. Even though Chen and Gui Zhang are not directly stated to be "criminals" in the game, I say it makes perfect sense with the anime did it. I'm pretty sure whatever they're selling, they had to smuggle them into Japan so they won't have to pay taxes on them. And I'm also guessing Iwao had to illegally smuggle the mirrors to Japan. Considering we now know that they're imperial relics that could exceed $10,000USD in value, Iwao would be in a legal mess of trouble if the government happened to know about it.

Here's an idea. Has anyone thought about doing a video package for the next Shenmue 4th day? I was thinking; could someone maybe make a video package set to one of the orchestra tracks highlighting the Anime and maybe release it on one of the next Shenmue 4th days to maybe help the cause and spread the love?

I know we did some montage photo's a few years ago where each person got a letter and it made a giant message. Would be happy to help with that again!

Here's an idea. Has anyone thought about doing a video package for the next Shenmue 4th day? I was thinking; could someone maybe make a video package set to one of the orchestra tracks highlighting the Anime and maybe release it on one of the next Shenmue 4th days to maybe help the cause and spread the love?
I'm trying to put a video together designed to spread the word but it's not quite like this.

But this is also a good idea as I don't know if mine will get off the ground. We shall see.

Last edited:
I know we did some montage photo's a few years ago where each person got a letter and it made a giant message. Would be happy to help with that again!
Something to conisder for sure.

The game still exists, it's not like that moment is gone forever.
But when people are saying they would be happy for the anime to continue the story, then suddenly that becomes canon rather than just a different take on the story.
Retconning like the way Suzuki retconned the magic sword in S3? That kind of retconning?
I didn't like that either.
Unless the anime becomes the official continuity, I wouldn't exactly call those changes retcons IMHO. Just changes for the sake of accommodating the anime.
That was pretty much what I was getting at though. If the anime had continued, without any sign of Shenmue 4 getting announced, it's highly likely the anime would have become the official continuity. If they are going to squeeze Shenmue 1 and 2 into 13 episodes, then it wouldn't need 13 episodes to tell the story of Shenmue 3, which would likely mean that Shenmue 4's story would take up the second half of the anime.

But when people are saying they would be happy for the anime to continue the story, then suddenly that becomes canon rather than just a different take on the story.

I didn't like that either.

That was pretty much what I was getting at though. If the anime had continued, without any sign of Shenmue 4 getting announced, it's highly likely the anime would have become the official continuity. If they are going to squeeze Shenmue 1 and 2 into 13 episodes, then it wouldn't need 13 episodes to tell the story of Shenmue 3, which would likely mean that Shenmue 4's story would take up the second half of the anime.
Idk Hermit, I do think Lan Di's chopper exit is awesome and logical.. today with my adult criteria but should I forget my 14 years old me? You Hermit, at 14, what did you thought on Lan Di's leaving without stand off? Mate I was pissed.
I also look for fidelity to the series, and that the anime paid enough but shouldn't one remember that this is also for the kids and they deserve some different take, extra fight...
I can't find any change that qualify for desecration.

The Tekken OVA from 90s, that's what I feared the most to happen. It wasn't like that, imho the Shenmue anime talks love to the game story. I find every change, carefuly tailored again imo.

Don't think you have anything to worry about, there will always be people who prefer the games. Peter Jackson's films didn't become canon over the Lord of the Rings books. The resident evil films didn't become canon over the games.

Don't think you have anything to worry about, there will always be people who prefer the games. Peter Jackson's films didn't become canon over the Lord of the Rings books. The resident evil films didn't become canon over the games.
Even if the anime went into canon, is that wild? It happened to me with Spiderman, I love it since kid and I was little dissapointed with some changes that we're skipping now for not derailing but, the thing is the kids leaving the theatre after the movies were in ecstasy. For who is Spiderman or who owns him? Me or them?

Guys, I'm 33 years old. I first played Shenmue at the age of 11. You ever wonder if this is all just a waste of our time and we are losers?

I personally don't think we are wasting anything, because surprisingly enough people can live their lives normally while waiting for shenmue. like, I'm pretty sure that people who waited for s3's announcement did not lock themselves up in a basement for 20 years or something

Guys, I'm 33 years old. I first played Shenmue at the age of 11. You ever wonder if this is all just a waste of our time and we are losers?
Everyone thinks that from time to time about anything they do that isn't "productive". I just wish Suzuki was more transparent with the fans at this point. I get being tight lipped before S3 was a thing but it would be nice to know where we stand in light of the cancellation. As of this year he's said there are no plans to release S4 in the near future, and considering we're already 3 years removed from the release of S3 (which needed to be Kickstarted by the fans in order to be made in the first place) I think that he owes the fans an explanation of what he plans to do in the event that he's unable to make S4.

I disagree, why would he prematurely share plans before Shenmue 4’s fate is definitively known?

We know they were trying to shop the prototype which we can infer didn’t go anywhere. We had recent release of Shenmue anime which before it’s unfortunate cancelation due to merger was probably another avenue they were looking for outside funding. Finally they just released mobile game on Apple’s platforms. If it was all quiet on the western front I could sympathize more, but if you compare it to the dark days of Digital Rex, or Suzuki when he first left Sega, we are getting more activity than you can know.

Of course us fans want don’t want to be in the dark but when there is something tangible to share or in the works I’m sure we will hear. As long as Suzuki is actively trying to make it happen, I believe he deserves opportunity to explore all avenues.

Back