Random Shenmue Thoughts

I highly doubt that it's the discs that are getting too old. It's rather the laser in the console. Sooner or later these things will burn out, especially if they have been abused with CD-Rs.

I highly doubt that it's the discs that are getting too old. It's rather the laser in the console. Sooner or later these things will burn out, especially if they have been abused with CD-Rs.
Every other dreamcast game I played has worked fine though, I also own another copy of 2 where it doesn't give me this problem

Every other dreamcast game I played has worked fine though, I also own another copy of 2 where it doesn't give me this problem
Both Shenmue games are some of the hardest games for the Dreamcast to run, so if it’s struggling with multiple copies of them it could definitely be the laser starting to ware out.

Not sure who backed the Lock-on Kickstarter, but there's a lot of nice bonus Shenmue related fan merch to buy. I'm not getting any (have to be careful with finance as I hope to move house soon), but i'll put them below for potential archiving purposes.

1646477553783.png

1646477588237.png

1646477630657.png

1646477657322.png

1646477716982.png

Agree with the sentiment and most of the content, but I hate how sometimes even defences of Shenmue take on a "damning with faint praise" tone.
To be fair, I read it at midnight half cut, so might not have picked up on the subtleties, but I have to wonder if it's trying to give modern audiences...not so much a warning, but an expectation that yes, you'll love this game if you give it a chance, but you have to understand it was made a long time ago and to be more forgiving about it.

I think it's covering their backs in case they get criticism from people saying "hey! this game is shit!"

The disc warnings are a bad disc--not laser. My original Kowlooon Disc3 way back in the day suffered same fate :(

Luckily back then there were frequent Bay listings for individual discs.

You know, it might be weird, but I had a disc 1 that had the data read and I cleaned with alcohol and it worked without any data read errors, of course it was dirty though. Should I try this with my disc 3 and 2? They look flawless, but should I give it a try?

The anime made me wonder why Joy and Xiuying don't seem to know or mention each other at all. Specially since both seem to have some relationship to the Chen family (and both being pretty famous people in Wan Chai, too).

The anime made me wonder why Joy and Xiuying don't seem to know or mention each other at all. Specially since both seem to have some relationship to the Chen family (and both being pretty famous people in Wan Chai, too).
Maybe they're the same person. We know Xiuying has different names like Lishoa Tao. She's called Joy which is like the opposite of Xiuying's persona who subdues her feelings. Polar opposites, Yin/Yang, on the box art they're facing opposite sides like they're mirror equivalents.

9610-shenmue-ii-dreamqljta.jpg

Why does Xiuying appear in Kowloon and knows something bad has happened to Ryo and Ren? Because she was there acting as Joy. Why doesn't Xuiying help Ryo at the yellow head building? because she is there as Joy.

Lisle Wilkerson voices both of them, going to be a great twist if in Shenmue IV we see her take the orange wig off lol XD.

The anime made me realize that Joy is a foreigner and not a native Cantonese (in hindsight, this was actually horrendously obvious), which in turn made her family’s connection with the Chens all the more intriguing. I’d never thought about how Xiuying is connected to the Chens (or, by extension, Joy), but now that you bring it up, it does raise some interesting questions (particularly with the anime doubling down on Master Chen being a shady character). I could buy Joy’s father being some illegal importer of Chinese artifacts to the west or something (especially with Hong Kong still being a British territory during the period that the games are set), but it’s hard to imagine Xiuying being connected to Hong Kong’s criminal underworld by anything other than her brother. Maybe the anime will touch on this?

Going to be a great twist if in Shenmue IV we see her take the orange wig off lol XD.
LOL. I love this theory, it makes plenty of sense :p.

I'd add that, while in Hong Kong, Joy and Xiuying take perfectly synchronized turns to give Ryo some accommodation. Particularly that day when Xiuying and Ryo argue, and Joy is conveniently there to remind him of the Come Over Guest House.

S U S P I C I O U S...

LOL. I love this theory, it makes plenty of sense :p.

I'd add that, while in Hong Kong, Joy and Xiuying take perfectly synchronized turns to give Ryo some accommodation. Particularly that day when Xiuying and Ryo argue, and Joy is conveniently there to remind him of the Come Over Guest House.

S U S P I C I O U S...
The poison brothers are really scared of Joy. Maybe they tried to pester her, and she used Bajiquan to knock them down.

Back