Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

if you became a shenmue fan, only at the launch of the 1/2HD release, you've been waiting 4 years for shenmue 4.

if you were a shenmue fan since the dc days, you've only been waiting 22 years.

edit.. maybe that doesn't make sense.. anyway i'm jealous of new fans lol they haven't had to suffer.
True, but we grew up with the series and have many wonderful memories attached to it!

star-wars-episode4.gif

Me describing the horrors of the 2004-2014 drought to our dear Shenmue baby noobs. ❤️

The interview is out...

Google translate:

keywords for 2022​

MIX, ENGLISH AND "MIX"

2022 aspirations​

work with people from different industries, such as movies and musicians.

i want to breathe a different wind into making games.

i hope to know something in 2022.

status report​

i'm playing the game without a pattern. if you don't know about trends, you can't talk to people around you. i was happy to have so many unique games.

what to look out for in 2022​

Of course, it is"Shenmue the Animation"scheduled to be released in 2022! You can enjoy the world of "Shenmue"much easier than the game. Please look forward to "Shenmue" that anyone can enjoy.

"I hope to know something in 2022".

I truly hope it means knowing if Shenmue IV has been greenlit <3 And his aspirations to work with folk in other industries does feel very much feel like Shenmue seeing as the original games had architects, script writers, etc involved.

Signal received!
Q: Your Keyword for 2022?

YS:
"Mix" [Suzuki uses the word borrowed from English, and also adds the English spelling of the word].
Q: Your New Year's Resolution?

YS:

To work with people from different industries, such as movies and musicians.
I want to bring a different style to game making.
I hope to have something to announce in 2022.

Q: Status update?

YS:
Unusually for me, I've been playing games... I can't really have discussions with people around me unless I know at least the trends. I've been delighted to see so many interesting and unique games.
Q: What will you be keeping an eye on in 2022?

YS:
Of course, Shenmue the Animation, scheduled for release in 2022! It will allow the world of Shenmue to be enjoyed much more conveniently than the games. Everyone will be able to enjoy it, so please look forward to it.

https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2021/12/yu-suzukis-new-years-resolution-for.html

Last edited:
It's quite exciting. I wonder if Suzuki might do a tiny little game similar to the one Yuji Naka did the other week. I'm certain Shenmue is strong on his mind even if I sometimes to get the vibe he would like to try something else...

"Mix" could mean so many things; a mixture of styles in gaming perhaps (thinking of RGG/Ubisoft games etc where there's a whole mix of styles within one game) or a cross mixture of media (the Shenmue anime)

As for playing games and following trends? So long as he avoids microtransactions, NFT's and pointless DLC, then go nuts!

It also seems like he will actually start playing contemporary games... He used to avoid that.
I'm sure he read many reviews & took their criticism seriously. He's a perfectionist after all. I just hope he doesn't take their criticism TOO seriously and change things up for the worse.

YS: "Mix" [Suzuki uses the word borrowed from English, and also adds the English spelling of the word].

My comment: I think this can mean that he will work on different projects in 2022, and like he said to work with people from different industries, i'm not sure what else "Mix" can mean in this situation.

YS: To work with people from different industries, such as movies and musicians. I want to bring a different style to game making. I hope to have something to announce in 2022.

My comment: it is nice to see that Yu Suzuki want to work with people from different industries, really interesting. He said he wants to bring a different style to game making, this is good in my opinion, Yu Suzuki have a different style and this is good for the game industry, i'm looking forward to see all the different things he will make in 2022.

The thing about to have something to announce all i can think is Shenmue IV but let's see what will happen.

YS: Unusually for me, I've been playing games... I can't really have discussions with people around me unless I know at least the trends. I've been delighted to see so many interesting and unique games.

My comment: Yeah... i agree with mjqjazzbar, probably Yu Suzuki read all those critics saying that Shenmue III is dated, people saying that he learned nothing in this 18 years and much more.

I saw that Yu Suzuki don't like to play games that much, he likes to do other things but i think is a good point that he wants to see other styles, he even said he enjoyed seeing so many interesting and unique games, i really want to know what games his saw and played.

I agree that he is a perfecionist when it comes to his art. Yu Suzuki said that he made Shenmue III for the fans, now for Shenmue IV i think it will have different things but i feel the essence of Shenmue will be in the game, i don't think Yu Suzuki will change the Shenmue Style/experience drastically, but from all the things he said in the interviews after Shenmue III i think we will see different things in Shenmue but not to point of changing the Shenmue style/experience drastically.

I just hope he don't take this critics TOO seriously like mjqjazzbar said but i feel that some things he will never put in Shenmue, for example Ryo with weapons, i think for him this have a limit, some things he will never put in Shenmue but other things maybe he want to try to do different this time.

All i know is that i'm happy for Yu Suzuki, happy that he will continue in the game industry and wants to do a lot of things, i will always respect and support him.

Last edited:
Personally, I stand by my sentiment that Shenmue IV will be made.

Regardless of the divisiveness of the 3rd entry, the fact remains that the series is getting an *ANIME* over 20 years since the originals released(yeah, we got the HD Collection, but still).

The fanbase is strong, vocal and the foundation is already there from Shenmue III to be improved upon. It is worth noting that Unreal Engine 5 is *ridiculous* and I'd love to see Shenmue IV on that.

2022 looks to be an astounding year for gaming(assuming Omicron doesn't upend everything again). I look forward to us possibly seeing the franchise continue.

2022 looks to be an astounding year for gaming(assuming Omicron doesn't upend everything again). I look forward to us possibly seeing the franchise continue.
Don't worry the government & people in general will always find a worse way to upsend things just like what happened last year on the 25th of May.

Back