Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

I'm trying hard not to let my expectations run wild, but I admit I'm getting pretty excited after Yu-san's tease.

The announcement could be for a completely different project separate from Shenmue, but with 2022 also being the year of the anime and knowing that YS Net were pitching Shenmue 4 to publishers last year, I can't help but wonder. Could this be it?๐Ÿคž
It just seems more than a coincidence that last year he said for his 2021 new year resolution "A Sequel To..." But obviously covid must of pushed that back and Cedric said they're pitching IV around that time also now this year "I hope to announce something in 2022" bearing in mind like you said he is focusing on the anime but that will be done in the same year how can you not announce the 4th part during the same time frame, it seems like a perfect opportune time to strike while the iron is hot as they say. I got a feeling same as you ๐Ÿคž

Again it all matches up also opening up to playing games which his never done, wanting to work with musicians, writers etc like he did for shenmue 1 ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค” I'm trying to stay open minded but there's just a few to many things pointing to it either way 2022 looks to definitely be shaping up to be the year of Shenmue and we are all here for it!๐Ÿ”ฅ

I want to believe that Shenmue IV announcement will happen in 2022, i feel that 2022 will be a good year for the Shenmue series, the Shenmue series is more alive now than it was in the past in my opinion.

If the announcement doesn't happen in 2022 i will start to have doubts if the saga will really continue in game format, but for now i'm optimist. At this point i just need to know if Shenmue IV is in development...

I want to believe that Shenmue IV announcement will happen in 2022, i feel that 2022 will be a good year for the Shenmue series, the Shenmue series is more alive now than it was in the past in my opinion.

If the announcement doesn't happen in 2022 i will start to have doubts if the saga will really continue in game format, but for now i'm optimist. At this point i just need to know if Shenmue IV is in development...
Very true if it was 2005 none of this would of happened, no kickstarter, no shenmue III, no merch, no anime absolutely nothing...it would still remain in uncertainty locked away in the dark and in a vault somewhere just gathering dust but the fans all around the world were the key to getting it out and seeing the light once more on hardware, in items, on clothing, in bottles, in camera lenses & now on TV screens. I feel like not only has a deal for an anime been reached but also deals in other places have been made in secret elsewhere too but finding the moment to announce them has been difficult what with covid running amock even the biggest studios are having a hard time but I know 2022 is the year shenmue gets it long overdue love and respect...one way or another we will find out about IV's status next year I feel very confident in that now that the tease has been put out there once that happens & know & find out after the first season of the anime comes to a close then that's the moment we as the community plans it's next course of action and start prepping our own combined responses. ๐Ÿ‘Š

Very true if it was 2005 none of this would of happened, no kickstarter, no shenmue III, no merch, no anime absolutely nothing...it would still remain in uncertainty locked away in the dark and in a vault somewhere just gathering dust but the fans all around the world were the key to getting it out and seeing the light once more on hardware, in items, on clothing, in bottles, in camera lenses & now on TV screens. I feel like not only has a deal for an anime been reached but also deals in other places have been made in secret elsewhere too but finding the moment to announce them has been difficult what with covid running amock even the biggest studios are having a hard time but I know 2022 is the year shenmue gets it long overdue love and respect...one way or another we will find out about IV's status next year I feel very confident in that now that the tease has been put out there once that happens & know & find out after the first season of the anime comes to a close then that's the moment we as the community plans it's next course of action and start prepping our own combined responses. ๐Ÿ‘Š

I agree with you, now we have Shenmue I and II HD, Shenmue III, clothing and other things, Shenmue World magazine, Shenmue anime in 2022 and maybe Shenmue IV in the future, this is all because the Shenmue community never gave up of Shenmue, and of course because Yu Suzuki never gave up as well and this is beautiful.

I saw that you are new here, welcome to the forums.
๐Ÿ˜Š

Last edited:
I agree with you, now we have Shenmue I and II HD, Shenmue III, clothing and other things, Shenmue World magazine, Shenmue anime in 2022 and maybe Shenmue IV in the future, this is all because the Shenmue community never gave up of Shenmue, and of course because Yu Suzuki never gave up as well and this is beautiful.

I saw that you are new here, welcome to the forums.
๐Ÿ˜Š
It's a collective & collaborative effort from you himself and every member here and all the other distant fans spread across the globe that all these things now exist because we never gave up on this series. I couldn't agree with this more, this fanbase is nothing less than amazing and it's a real treat to be apart of...the ride into 2022 is truly looking as beautiful as the games we've come to love & no matter what his announcement will be anyway i can support him, his staff, studio and project I'll be there every step of the way. Thank you for the warm welcome appreciate that very much my friend, very nice to meet you! :)

As for Yu Suzuki playing games; I guess he is researching on how he can modernize Shenmue IV enough to captivate new players into the franchise and at the same time keep some of essence intact for older more hardcore fans of the series.

I agree, in my opinion this is what Yu Suzuki will try to do for Shenmue IV, how he can mordernize the experience to captivate new players, also i feel that Yu Suzuki want to try new things and at the same time keep the essence of Shenmue intact.

For example if Yu Suzuki decide to put quest markers in Shenmue IV, Yu Suzuki can put a option for this so the player can turn this on or turn this off, this way the players can choose what is best for them, in what style the players want to play.

In my opinion if Yu Suzuki continue with the same Shenmue style but just adding new things like he did with Shenmue III i would be completely okay with this because i love the Shenmue style/experience, i love even the voice acting that some people say is cheesy, it is one of the charms of the series to me but i play more the Shenmue games in japanese.

But after Shenmue III i really feel that he wants to do exactly like you said. Trying new things, changes and new ideas for the Shenmue style/experience, and it is good that Yu Suzuki wants to try new things, Yu Suzuki and the team should feel free to do that, was because he tried new things that we got Shenmue I and II that revolutionized the game industry at that time.

I believe that Yu Suzuki can do what you said and that Shenmue will continue to have its own identity and essence, i really believe that this is what will happen and i'm looking forward to see all the different things Yu Suzuki will do for Shenmue IV, i'm opstimistic about this.

4Gamer has released their own mini-survey. Here are Yu Suzuki's responses.
Q1: Of all the games released in 2021, which title impressed (or shocked) you the most?
YS: Little Nightmares II. I was impressed by its atmosphere, and could really feel the creators' passion. The animation in particular is excellent.

Q2: Of the entertainment content that was released or announced during 2021, which one left the deepest impression?
YS: "Finch".

Q3: Which figure personally caught (or is catching) your attention in 2021?
YS: [Japanese female professional billiards player] Samia Konishi. I like her decisive, aggressive play.

Q4: What are your aspirations for 2022, and what is your message to 4Gamer readers?
YS: To the readers of 4Gamer: next year's zodiac sign is the Tiger, which is also the trademark of Shenmue's Ryo and can be seen on the back of his jacket. Please look forward to "Shenmue The Animation," which is scheduled to be released in 2022, as we are working to make the world of Shenmue easy to grasp and enjoyable to all.

https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2021/12/yu-suzukis-responses-2021-end-of-year.html

Man, Fortnite does absolutely nothing for me and I despise the modern way of a 'never ending' game (it's for that reason I won't touch Minecraft or other similar games), but even I wouldn't balk at having Ryo in Fortnite. The kidz(tm) might not get it, but it would be brilliant publicity and would be good exposure.

The thing is, would Suzuki/Sega allow it? There have been cameos in other games, but a game where the object is to kill each other (even if in a comical way) might not fit with the Shenmue sensibility? Dunno...maybe i'm just being a party pooper!

As for Suzuki's other interview, it's fascinating to hear his comments on other media. I've not played Little Nightmares II, but I might be tempted to give it a go.

I feel confident 2022 will be a great year for Shenmue. The positive buzz for the anime is comforting and I do think the series is in the strongest position it's been since maybe 2015. The good work of the forum, other Shenmue communities and the close knit fandom gives me confidence that more is to come!!

I would love to know what games Suzuki played or was exposed to.

For someone who always keeps cards very close to his chest, potentially reason to be excited outside anime.

Yu Suzuki playing vidya in 2022? This means Shenmue IV is about to be fire.

If I were a betting man, I'd say he's been playing Yakuza since his game gets so many comparisons to it.

It also makes sense as to why he's looking at collaborating with more musicians and directors. Considering that these are both Sega IP's I imagine he has a very unique viewpoint of RGG .

Happy new year to you all my friends...it's a new opportunity to thrive with all our individual hard work and make it a year to remember I think 2022 ours and especially yu's wishes will be realised and the saga will continue. ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽŠ๐Ÿฅ‚

Get Ryo in there immediately haha
I find it a bit odd, intriguing and interesting at the same time that Shenmue 3 became the first free game out the whole 15 games they have been giving for free; and know interestingly enough Florklifts are going to become drivable vehicles; wich is an iconic symbol of the series.
Another complete but interesting coincidence is that this will become available in Fortnites next update wich is 19.20 ; being 19 the release day of Shenmue 3 and 20 wich is also the age of the Shenmue series.

I find it a bit odd, intriguing and interesting at the same time that Shenmue 3 became the first free game out the whole 15 games they have been giving for free; and know interestingly enough Florklifts are going to become drivable vehicles; wich is an iconic symbol of the series.
Another complete but interesting coincidence is that this will become available in Fortnites next update wich is 19.20 ; being 19 the release day of Shenmue 3 and 20 wich is also the age of the Shenmue series.
Very intriguing more than a coincidence ๐Ÿค” I think more than an anime deal has been done behind closed doors. I feel they were going to announce something last year what with yu's new year resolution being "A sequel to..." But obviously covid must of pushed that back and plans were changed but to say this year "I hope to announce something in 2022" other than the anime dropping what could you be announcing around the same time? Even in the end letter of shenmue III he said as long as there are fans that want to see the series continue he won't ever give up trying to tell its full story. Not a huge fan of fortnite don't understand the hype but each to their own but if it's indeed because of shenmue and they've paid to include it and it goes towards a final game I'm all for it. Nice keen eyes on the dates there too

Man, Fortnite does absolutely nothing for me and I despise the modern way of a 'never ending' game (it's for that reason I won't touch Minecraft or other similar games), but even I wouldn't balk at having Ryo in Fortnite. The kidz(tm) might not get it, but it would be brilliant publicity and would be good exposure.

The thing is, would Suzuki/Sega allow it? There have been cameos in other games, but a game where the object is to kill each other (even if in a comical way) might not fit with the Shenmue sensibility? Dunno...maybe i'm just being a party pooper!

As for Suzuki's other interview, it's fascinating to hear his comments on other media. I've not played Little Nightmares II, but I might be tempted to give it a go.

I feel confident 2022 will be a great year for Shenmue. The positive buzz for the anime is comforting and I do think the series is in the strongest position it's been since maybe 2015. The good work of the forum, other Shenmue communities and the close knit fandom gives me confidence that more is to come!!
Lol, I donโ€™t think itโ€™ll ever happen, but putting Ryo into a game every kid in the world still plays canโ€™t hurt. Wonder if Sega would allow it.

What I can't understand is why Epic didn't do a tie-in with Fortnite with their exclusives? Buy Control, and get a Jesse skin? Buy Shenmue, and turn all the trolleys into Forklifts? Have they seen how much exclusive skin DLC codes go for on ebay? Probably would sell more copies of the game just to keep those in Fortnite skin FOMO happy. Who cares if it's awkward, a sales a sale at the end of the day. Bit of an own goal by Epic IMO

Someone at Epic has been reading my posts ๐Ÿ˜‚

In this episode of Shenmue talk i shared my opinion and theories about Luoyang, the old capital of China. A city that i feel will be really important for the Shenmue story. If Shenmue IV happen maybe we will see Luoyang. Yu Suzuki spend 2 weeks in China.

In the first episode i felt that sometimes the Google voice was too fast, this time i did it in a way that i feel that now is more enjoyable to hear, thank you all for the support.

Last edited:
Back