Yu Suzuki seems to be working on a NFT project

I agree it’ll likely die off like the VR thing, which also had some cryptocurrency connection. I just hate seeing him align himself with these shady types of businesses. Doesn’t make me feel too hopeful things are going to happen with bigger game development either.
Agreed. It doesn’t paint him in the best light.

I feel like we are owed an explanation of what to expect, but there seems to be very little transparency so it's hard to see anything positive.

Yu Suzuki doesn’t owe anything to anybody. As much as it pains me to see him allowing some shady crypto bros to use his name to hawk their digital garbage, it’s his reputation to do with as he pleases. If he wants to put his legacy on the line for a chance to make a quick buck then that’s his business.

Last edited:
Suzuki can do what he wants, but I just hate that it's more ammunition for people who have an obsession with dragging him and Shenmue over the coals. Willing to bet that a lot of people are going to permanently affix the "NFT shill" label to him and dismiss his future works from now on. Not a fantastic look.

Also, can't wait for people to incorrectly associate this with Suzuki wanting to make Shenmue a blockchain game.

Tbh, that's partly the consequences of his actions...he should've known better. Like cmon, a simple research (probably even a simple google search) could have saved him, so yeah if there was going to be a public outlash, it'd would be sorta justified, IMO.

Suzuki can do what he wants, but I just hate that it's more ammunition for people who have an obsession with dragging him and Shenmue over the coals. Willing to bet that a lot of people are going to permanently affix the "NFT shill" label to him and dismiss his future works from now on. Not a fantastic look.

Also, can't wait for people to incorrectly associate this with Suzuki wanting to make Shenmue a blockchain game.

This will absolutely make him and Shenmue look worse in the public eye. I am one of his biggest fans and I am personally disappointed over his decision--imagine how someone actively against him and his series feels.

Note that this may sideffect Steam, Epic and specially the hideous Play Store improving something for a change.

NFTs, like modern art are just a money laundry scheme but if we can benefit from it what's the problem. I never read anyone here complain about Master Chen's business, let Suzuki sensei get some of that sweet yakuza lettuce.
Certainly I hope they pay him well, but these NFT announcements always seem to come and go, with the person selling the stuff coming away looking worse. Reset era simply locked the thread, not because of YS but because NFT projects are so un newsworthy at this point.

I’m just sad it’s been three years since S3 and this is the headline we’re reading. Doesn’t feel too encouraging. This feels like the stuff that would pop up in the dead years between AM2 and Shenmue 3.

Last edited:
I'll always keep the faith, but it's been 3 years. It's not looking great. The thing that is depressing for me is there just doesn't seem to be that passion. I wouldn't blame Yu Suzuki if he just felt burnt out from Shenmue 3's long development, the struggles of Kickstarter and all the backlash and controversies he faced.

With Shenmue 3, I always thought there was a chance, because it always felt like Yu Suzuki really wanted to make the game. I know he has been working on that Apple Arcade game and that they have tried to pitch Shenmue to publishers, but it just doesn't feel like there is that same level of I don't know what, but passion from him about making a fourth game.

I repeat, it has been 3 years. If no publisher has wanted to touch the project in 2020, 2021 or 2022, then why would any in 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026 etc...?

I'm grateful that this news has been buried somewhat (although it's clearly out there). I must admit that I do get angry that people will likely tarnish Suzuki with this brush as if all the works he did i nthe 80's and 90's mean jack shit. If there's one thing the gaming industry is poor at, it's respecting history and legacy.

Then again, we live in an age where things get forgotten quickly, so this is one bit of news i'm happy to see buried.

If anyone could make an NFT project work, I daresay it's Suzuki; the problem is that I have zero interest in it and feel it's a distraction from Shenmue. Then again, I think the important thing here is that it's Suzuki the individual that is mentioned and not YsNet.

Hopefully he'll get bored, pocket the cash and move on to Shenmue IV.

Im restricting myself to the fact that now Sega and Yu Suzuki are at the same table again. For how long and what that results, we'll see.
Lets keep in mind this is post Atlus Sega and expanded YS offices talking...
Will we see AM2 resurrection?

More likely he’s just desperate to secure funding for Shenmue 4 before he gets too old to make it.
or just desperate.

I think this is a bad move from both a PR standpoint and just an overall well being of the company. If he's moving into this space it's a signal that YSNet doesn't have anything on the horizon and Suzuki is running out of options to find income for himself.

Given the news about the anime this is pretty much it for Shenmue I think. At least from Suzuki.

or just desperate.

I think this is a bad move from both a PR standpoint and just an overall well being of the company. If he's moving into this space it's a signal that YSNet doesn't have anything on the horizon and Suzuki is running out of options to find income for himself.

Given the news about the anime this is pretty much it for Shenmue I think. At least from Suzuki.
Don't you think thats rather drastic? Think about ex-3DO Trip Hawkings being tech consultant for 110 Industries. Thats more the case to me. While we just heard about Oasys it has been some time out there announcing and it was just Square Enix and Sega. Probably some people from those got in contact with Yu Suzuki or someone close and "proposed"* him to be a consultant (what he is in Oasys).

*"c'mon, Yu-sama, this is such an oportunity, if you miss it you gonna regret... Etc-etc.

If this success then yay, Shenmue 4 and more YS games.
If this sinks, then Yu Suzuki just fell in a crypto scam like a tribute to us for showing he is also human. A eyeblink to our imperfection, like Lucifer missing a piano chord.

Agreed. It doesn’t paint him in the best light.

Yu Suzuki doesn’t owe anything to anybody. As much as it pains me to see him allowing some shady crypto bros to use his name to hawk their digital garbage, it’s his reputation to do with as he pleases. If he wants to put his legacy on the line for a chance to make a quick buck then that’s his business.

Seeing as how his fans paid for Shenmue to continue the last thing, I would expect him to do is a fucking NFT. It's disgraceful.

I'm done until further notice. I think it was a bad sign when I saw "Air Twister" pop up here and people actually supported that shit and told him it was okay. The guy is becoming a con artist like most people that designed games in Japan. The sad thing is I thought Suzuki was beyond that. Apparently not.

Don't you think thats rather drastic? Think about ex-3DO Trip Hawkings being tech consultant for 110 Industries. Thats more the case to me. While we just heard about Oasys it has been some time out there announcing and it was just Square Enix and Sega. Probably some people from those got in contact with Yu Suzuki or someone close and "proposed"* him to be a consultant (what he is in Oasys).

*"c'mon, Yu-sama, this is such an oportunity, if you miss it you gonna regret... Etc-etc.

If this success then yay, Shenmue 4 and more YS games.
If this sinks, then Yu Suzuki just fell in a crypto scam like a tribute to us for showing he is also human. A eyeblink to our imperfection, like Lucifer missing a piano chord.
Maybe you're right. you're certainly more optimistic than I am.

However, I think the fact that he's moving into NFT's at all shows that he doesn't have any other reliable sources of income at the moment, and at the very least, Shenmue 4 is not in the works/on the horizon. It seems to me more like an opportunist move from someone who has struggled to find success in the past years.

Perhaps this works out and secures funding for S4, but tbh this seems wholly unrelated to that. Also, as everyone else has mentioned, this really just does seem like a scam and will likely just generate bad PR for the brand. It's not a move from someone who's business (making games) is going well.

Seeing as how his fans paid for Shenmue to continue the last thing, I would expect him to do is a fucking NFT. It's disgraceful.

I'm done until further notice. I think it was a bad sign when I saw "Air Twister" pop up here and people actually supported that shit and told him it was okay. The guy is becoming a con artist like most people that designed games in Japan. The sad thing is I thought Suzuki was beyond that. Apparently not.
Take the NFT out of it as that is shady for a moment.

He's well within his rights to make other games you know.

I really don't understand people / even some Shenmue fans acting like Yu would "rather be shilling NFTS" then making Shenmue 4. That's ridiculous. I'm sure he would rather already have made Shenmue 4-6 by now and be working on other games. Sadly at this point he has virtually no options or support from the industry he helped revolutionise so what is he to do?

As far as this goes I basically just hope he gets a fat payout that can at least help fund 4 independently or something.

I hate NFTS with a passion and generally think they are more bad PR than anything else but I'm not about to shit on Yu Suzuki for taking what he can get to pay the bills and stay active. That extends to Air Twister which is actually a pretty good game that wouldn't exist without Yu taking what he can get in terms of offers / projects.

Back