Yu Suzuki seems to be working on a NFT project

Sadly at this point he has virtually no options or support from the industry he helped revolutionise so what is he to do?
You hit a key my friend, and I'm bolding it with your permission: Yes, except for a few individuals, he has been on his own (and his team) for all this years.

People are still promoting NFTs?

I feel this will follow Yu Suzuki regardless of the burying of it on the past because any high profile news, mainly anything related to the release of Shenmue 4, will have this thrown back in his face. People were Ruthless every step of the way with S3 and with it's reception, and how it didn't finish the story (even though it never was supposed to), it'll be a wrap. Super Eye Patch will likely make another video should we get news of another title. Muta and other YouTubers with large followings might touch on it. Everyone from Jake Paul to Troy Baker have caught hella flack for shilling NFTs. This may do more damage than good

Last edited:
People are still promoting NFTs?

I feel this will follow Yu Suzuki regardless of the burying of it on the past because any high profile news, mainly anything related to the release of Shenmue 4, will have this thrown back in his face. People were Ruthless every step of the way with S3 and with it's reception, and how it didn't finish the story (even though it never was supposed to), it'll be a wrap. Super Eye Patch will likely make another video should we get news of another title. Muta and other YouTubers with large followings might touch on it. Everyone from Jake Paul to Troy Baker have caught hella flack for shilling NFTs. This may do more damage than good
That Eye Patch guy literally made a 35-minute video about himself being too stupid to order his own computer. For him to shit on other people is a bit rich.

Take the NFT out of it as that is shady for a moment.

He's well within his rights to make other games you know.

You know some NFT sources have actually become illegal so I would hope that Suzuki wouldn't do it. As far as Air Twister, sure he's within his rights to make it, but to what extent will it damage his legendary career? Itagaki got a LOT more heat for it because he's no longer affiliated wih DOA or NINJA Gaiden. We don't have to worry about him getting mad and not making another one.

To me Air Twister felt like a stabbing and NFT announcement felt like repeated hammer blows to the head.

You know some NFT sources have actually become illegal so I would hope that Suzuki wouldn't do it. As far as Air Twister, sure he's within his rights to make it, but to what extent will it damage his legendary career? Itagaki got a LOT more heat for it because he's no longer affiliated wih DOA or NINJA Gaiden. We don't have to worry about him getting mad and not making another one.

To me Air Twister felt like a stabbing and NFT announcement felt like repeated hammer blows to the head
I do know that but I also know they seem to be more widely accepted in Japan. As I've said before it's shady and I'd not go near them. Also it looks like a side project as there's no YSNET logos anywhere.

As for Air Twister the game is fine and likely paid the bills. We have to accept the fact that Shenmue alone isn't going to pay the bills. Also I'd not want any creator stifled by having the chain of one game around their neck. If you didn't like Air Twister that's fine but it seemed to review OK and got YSNET paid. I'm sure you'd rather that than mass layoffs, they go out of business and then it really diminishes a Shenmue 4.

What’s the issue with Air Twister? That it’s exclusive to Apple?

Reactions: JP_
What’s the issue with Air Twister? That it’s exclusive to Apple?
I don’t get the issue either. Is deathofaninja saying Yu Suzuki shouldn’t work on ANYTHING else?

Describing it as a “stabbing” seems pretty ludicrous.

Even this reaction to the NFT is overkill. I think it stinks and don’t think it bodes well for the series, but he’s clearly trying to get money and keep things moving. What’s he supposed to do? Live on the street? I doubt you’ll hear about it in three months. Look up the VR game he was supposedly involved in five years ago. What happened to that? These projects flop quickly.

I don’t get the issue either. Is deathofaninja saying Yu Suzuki shouldn’t work on ANYTHING else?

Describing it as a “stabbing” seems pretty ludicrous.

Do you really think I'm that dense?

If he is going to work on something else, make it worth our time instead of doing dumb phone games and NFTs for "quick money." It's more ludicrous to think there are fans that would support that shit. I'm sure that will encourage him to make a game we want. Influence him with the idea that we don't mind scammy, blockchain mumbo jumbo and shovel ware phone games that take 2% the effort an actual Suzuki game would take to make.

If he is going to work on something else, make it worth our time instead of doing dumb phone games and NFTs for "quick money." It's more ludicrous to think there are fans that would support that shit. I'm sure that will encourage him to make a game we want. Influence him with the idea that we don't mind scammy, blockchain mumbo jumbo and shovel ware phone games that take 2% the effort an actual Suzuki game would take to make.
I think you should go and touch some grass mate

I don’t think anyone’s giving him the funds to work on anything better, mate. I think he had bigger plans but they never took off. He’s 60+ and had a couple releases in the past 20 years. I’m not sure there’s much beyond more Shenmue or random one off projects. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Air Twister, but the NFT/blockchain stuff is depressing. I see it happening with his peers and it seems it’s just really hard to get back in the biz when you’ve been dropped/failed in Japan.

Last edited:

Truly deep. :coffee:

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Air Twister, but the NFT/blockchain stuff is depressing. I see it happening with his peers and it seems it’s just really hard to get back in the biz when you’ve been dropped/failed in Japan.

This. I actually accepted Air Twister even though there is no content to it and it's a very subpar cell phone game coming from a legend who I guess essentially gave up. Combine that with an NFT though? I cannot sit and pretend to support block chain and never will. It's a disgrace to gaming and irredeemable. I challenge anyone to give one good reason why anyone should be happy with it or accept it.

@code l name LOL that's all I can say to you. Not much.

Now I'm starting to get a little angry because we should be rallying HARD against this. This is Shenmue Dojo, not NFT Dojo. I'm not saying hang Suzuki by his toes. I GET that people need money, but was this really the way????

Last edited:
I don’t think anyone’s giving him the funds to work on anything better, mate. I think he had bigger plans but they never took off. He’s 60+ and had a couple releases in the past 20 years. I’m not sure there’s much beyond more Shenmue or random one off projects. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Air Twister, but the NFT/blockchain stuff is depressing. I see it happening with his peers and it seems it’s just really hard to get back in the biz when you’ve been dropped/failed in Japan.

You are attempting to discuss this matter rationally with someone who has demonstrated time and time again incapable of having a rationale discussion. You are wasting your breath.

Last edited:
You are attempting to discuss this matter rationally with someone who has demonstrated time and time again incapable of having a rationale discussion. You are wasting your breath.

I think I've been more than rational. Outside of this conversation (that for whatever reason people think I'm being irrational) you're speaking of a conversation (that's a shocking 2 I guess) about graphics where I disagreed with you and illustrated facts with logical reasoning. Don't see what the problem is.

I cannot sit and pretend to support block chain and never will. It's a disgrace to gaming and irredeemable. I challenge anyone to give one good reason why anyone should be happy with it or accept it.

Now I'm starting to get a little angry because we should be rallying HARD against this. This is Shenmue Dojo, not NFT Dojo. I'm not saying hang Suzuki by his toes. I GET that people need money, but was this really the way????

The thing is, you're acting like we're all endorsing and celebrating Suzuki's choice to do NFT and Blockchain stuff, but that's not really the case. I don't think there's any excitement or hype on here about this project at all, and it's not something that's being promoted/pushed by any of the Shenmue communities (Dojo or otherwise) either.

None of us like the fact that Suzuki's doing this kind of thing. Plenty of us have expressed our disappointment and continue to do so. But ultimately we don't get to make decisions for him. The man's going to pursue the projects he finds interesting and it's not really our place to tell him that he can't.

Not sure I've got much to add to what's been mentioned so far, but I too was disappointed seeing Suzuki being part of an NFT project. Short-term cash-flow (presumably) isn't worth long-term reputation damage.

The fact that every major developer that announced NFT plans was buried in negative headlines to the point they had to publically cancel those plans should tell anyone involved in the business that they shouldn't touch anything NFT with a ten foot pole. Especially a guy like Suzuki whose reputation has already taken some hits over the past few years should know better. No need to give people an even bigger stick to hit you with.

The silver lining here is that this seems like a textbook example of the type of project that dies a quiet death.

Also, I really don't get the Air Twister hate. Suzuki made a name for himself creating arcade games and that's clearly what AT is, being very much inspired by classics like Space Harrier and Panzer Dragoon. If anything, it's a sign of YS going back to his roots.

I haven't tried it yet, because I just don't do Android/iOS games, but at some point it's moving to other platforms which is where I'd give it a go. At the very least, its reception seems to have been decent and certainly less controversial than Shenmue III's.

Trying to somehow tie Air Twister together with the NFT thing as signs YS has regressed to being a conman or somehow a disgrace is laughable.

One of the concerns I do have though, is that ultimately things will go quiet around YS again like they did after Shenmue Online fell through.

Don't get me wrong; I still have faith in Shenmue IV happening. It's just that having concerns like these is normal because of the franchises history, I guess.

Is it even plausible that Yu Suzuki could be doing NFTs to help bank roll Shenmue 4? :unsure: And if that is the case, would some of you still think it's a silly idea?

While I certainly appreciate the optimism, YS doing NFTs to finance Shenmue IV seems like wishful thinking to me.
First and foremost, Suzuki working on projects is simply paying the bills and keeping the lights on at YsNet.
Additionally, it brings him back in touch with the current gaming landscape.

As a bit of a bonus, some technologies he showed interest in - like AI - could be incorporated in the fourth game.

Back