Your Job

With another baby due December and mortgage renewal up in January, it sucks that on Monday there is a 90% chance I will be fired from my job. I may go into the reasons later but long story short, I have fallen foul of someone quite high up and won't be her first victim. This is despite me having genuinely good performances, hit the vast majority of my objectives and given the vast majority of my bi-annual bonuses. I work in professional services as an account manager and have been in my job for a year and a half.

My previous 3 jobs haven't really worked out for one reason or another. The first I was suddenly made redundant along with 200 other people. Though I was eventually offered a job to stay, I decided to move on for more money. Second job I left because of boredom and stress. Done well but I was literally banging my head against the wall because I was that bored. Left for another role where I was again let go after a year along side the entire marketing team and ended up where I am now. I am at a stage now where, though I have worked in senior roles for recognisable companies, I have job hopped so much that it is becoming more difficult to find another.

On top of this, I think I am done with professional services. I am seen as the nice guy which for the most part I don't have to care about as places I have been previously have always judge me on my performance and it was pretty objective. What I have noticed though is that in professional services your demeanour probably counts more than you actual performance. That was not initially the case with this role, I was always saying it was the best job I have had, but I have fallen foul of someone who clearly doesn't appreciate what I do and wants me out. I can't be bothered with the bull anymore or having to learn an entire new industry from scratch. Now looking for a complete career change where I can have a job that is stable; sales and account management have left a bad taste in my mouth.

Think of joining the police but have limited energy at the moment. Will be interesting to see how things go.

What do you do?

Sorry for all your troubles, having to find a new job is always a huge pain.

I work as an administrative assistant. My wife and I decided to move to another city and my previous boss asked if I wanted to be his assistant for his two other businesses. So now I work from home and do a lot of background stuff (payroll, employee management, tax payments, etc) for his businesses.

In Finance, have been since 2015.

While I work in a Contact Centre, I hardly spend my days wasting away on the phone; I do a whole range of different things required of me and since our institution isn't gargantuan, I'm not just a number and work at head office.

Currently, I floor manage/serve at a restaurant, and I’m also working on my PhD. I previously worked construction, which I’ll go back to once I finish up my dissertation (flip a house or two in my summers off from teaching).

How did things go @Nathanial Essex? Situations like that are quite common it seems within corporations. There's usually a lot of bullshit, gossip and office politics going on. I've experienced this before and also saw it happen to colleagues. Currently, I work with audio/music production from time to time but am also looking at a few jobs to complement. Stuff like teaching, work for some audio related company,... Or possibly even take some extra courses again.

Currently, I floor manage/serve at a restaurant, and I’m also working on my PhD. I previously worked construction, which I’ll go back to once I finish up my dissertation (flip a house or two in my summers off from teaching).
Which field? What's the topic of the dissertation.

Mass media & communication: My focus is social memory and psychological processing of media. It’ll probably be an ethnographic study of nuclear anxiety in post-Cold War Europe, or I might reopen an old experimental/survey study dealing with frightening imagery in media provoking disturbing thoughts/nightmares.

I work in a uni in one of the best bloody departments in the whole goddamn universe.

Lots of banter, elaborate office pranks, plenty of cake and McDonald's breakfasts and the team is super friendly. Oh, and we really love the word "fuck".

How did things go @Nathanial Essex? Situations like that are quite common it seems within corporations. There's usually a lot of bullshit, gossip and office politics going on. I've experienced this before and also saw it happen to colleagues.
I was given a final warning and it is the biggest load of bull ever. I think I mentioned in a previous thread about people constantly judging other on their demeanour and not performance; being in a position where you feel pressured to "toughen up". I can go into the details if people want but on this occasion I literally got called into a formal meeting because I asked for help. No exaggeration.

I asked my boss for help with two things, only because I thought he would have it to hand, and his response was that I should have known it, he was "concerned" that I did not understand it so we had a formal meeting. The funny things is, one of the things I raised it turns out no one in the business really understands so I have been given a task to find out what is what. The second thing was a mistake I spotted, asked my boss to validate it was incorrect and he asked me on the spot how to generate a certain report. I was not too sure so he thought that was a reason to give me a warning. Again, what is stupid about it is his way of running the report was not one he originally showed be nor is it even remotely accurate.

I am in a position where I am considering making an appeal but just feel like it's fruitless. The first formal meeting I had was for even dumber reasons than the above. I was so pissed I decided to record the meeting on my phone. When I was asked to leave the room so they could deliberate, I accidentally left my phone in my jacket pocket and heard what they were talking about. In short, my boss did not even want me in that meeting and it was someone higher up, who I hardly interactive with, who has some pre-assumptions about me and my work that pushed for that meeting. What's even more annoying is that I keep getting signed of for the majority of my bonuses because I keep hitting my objectives.

I’m a bouncer at a live music bar. I absolutely loathe the job... i’ve spent 7 years around drunk, drugged up arseholes and it’s all just hit me at once!

I’m currently putting the feelers out on some corporate security positions. Sitting behind a nice desk, in a heated room with internet access and as limited human interaction as possible.

Mass media & communication: My focus is social memory and psychological processing of media. It’ll probably be an ethnographic study of nuclear anxiety in post-Cold War Europe, or I might reopen an old experimental/survey study dealing with frightening imagery in media provoking disturbing thoughts/nightmares.
Interesting, I've been thinking about social memory and media when I read some more factual accounts of different events. My background is different though so it's just quick thoughts as an amateur.

I work in a uni in one of the best bloody departments in the whole goddamn universe.
Lots of banter, elaborate office pranks, plenty of cake and McDonald's breakfasts and the team is super friendly. Oh, and we really love the word "fuck".
That sounds ideal (y)

I was given a final warning and it is the biggest load of bull ever. I think I mentioned in a previous thread about people constantly judging other on their demeanour and not performance
The second thing was a mistake I spotted, asked my boss to validate it was incorrect and he asked me on the spot how to generate a certain report. I was not too sure so he thought that was a reason to give me a warning.
my boss did not even want me in that meeting and it was someone higher up, who I hardly interactive with, who has some pre-assumptions about me and my work that pushed for that meeting.
That sucks. Some of it sounds familiar. At one point me and some others got closely monitored since our statistics were just below a certain goal. The funny thing is that we all had been part of that team before the current bosses and we were the ones who actually figured out how the system worked ourselves. Because of that we often got harder cases to solve which of course made it harder to reach certain goals. The part about assumptions sounds like what happened to my girlfriend then. Someone got the wrong impression, had a fragile ego, started assuming a lot about several people and went higher up. This led to firing, then rehiring and some effort to prove that the assumptions were wrong.

I’m a bouncer at a live music bar. I absolutely loathe the job... i’ve spent 7 years around drunk, drugged up arseholes and it’s all just hit me at once!

I’m currently putting the feelers out on some corporate security positions. Sitting behind a nice desk, in a heated room with internet access and as limited human interaction as possible.
This sounds like someone that I know. She deals with people who have mental and substance abuse problems. She has also taught before. She was always very interested in helping people but has said that she sometimes longed for a job without interaction. It's not uncommon apparently.

Nearly a decade ago I joined the US intelligence community, which started a really unique career. This basically locked me into a life of shit that I can't talk about. I am currently working as a computer scientist at a government research lab but I plan on applying to go back into an operational role in another agency in January.

Nearly a decade ago I joined the US intelligence community, which started a really unique career. This basically locked me into a life of shit that I can't talk about. I am currently working as a computer scientist at a government research lab but I plan on applying to go back into an operational role in another agency in January.
So does shenmue 3 on dreamcast secretly exist or can you not talk about that ?

I am generally really quiet about my professional life but I know what it can be like dealing in the past with corporate politics and it can make life miserable. Really sorry you are dealing with this. Sometimes I find it best to just keep my head down at times especially when it comes to livelyhood, we are really at the mercy of the employer.

I’ve been living in Japan for the last decade and I’ve mostly worked as an English teacher. For the first five years, I taught elementary, junior high, and senior high students, but for the last 4 1/2 years, I mostly teacher senior citizens. It has its ups and downs, but I like it. In addition, I am a freelance writer for an anime site and I do freelance translation for a travel site. I say the money is good and it allows me to provide for my family.

I say my weekday job is rather easy to the point I can do it in my sleep (in a sense, I have). It’s just that my commute is more demanding lol. So, I can’t complain. I still teach high schools on Saturdays on a seasonal basis and I enjoy that.

"I review and rate social media content to support measurement of data relevance" Legally that's all I'm allowed to say apparently. It's nothing that secretive or important in reality but the company I work for send me threatening emails from time to time reminding me that I signed a Master Services Agreement anc I'm not allowed to tell any details about my job.

Other than that I'm a full time student. Between the two I don't have much free time to do anything else though. Hopefully it will all pay off in a few years.

I am a game developer, I make art assets, write, design quests and some community management. Working my way towards a programming role too.

I’m a graphic designer. I don’t have a lot of experience, because I found the job only 1 year ago. I worked as a web designer before that. Also, I learn 3D animation, but I’m not good at it yet.
What does it mean?

10 years I've worked where I currently work. (I won't say the name of the place)

Been working Pay Roll for the last 5 or 6 years. I started off as a Record Keeper and worked my way up to Pay Roll. Can't say I enjoy it all that much but the money ain't too bad and considering I spent the last 4 years climbing out of debt, I needed the money pretty badly.

This year I received Long Term Service leave. I spent a month in Tokyo this past April and have started wondering "I'm 33 years old; what am I doing with my life?"

Everyone around me is either married, has kids, has a mortgage or what not. Meanwhile I'm the last bachelor of my friends and am completely unsure about what I'm doing long term.

I've been studying Japanese for 6 years now and kind of want to make the jump to Japan just to see if I could survive there...but I have no idea what I would do. I've never taught before (which I've heard teaching English is the easiest way in) so yeah, I'm sort of in that in-between point of "what am I doing?"

If I could find a way to make a living out of it, I would love to be translating for a living. But I have no idea how to even get a foot into that industry.

I have no family (of my own). No mortgage to speak off. No relationship to speak off. Part of me wants to quit but the other part of me thinks "why give up something secure for something that isn't secure?"

Those sort of life questions I've been facing lately. I wouldn't say I completely hate my job. Sure there are people there who annoy me, but I get along well enough with everyone and I do have a good standing within the company (I don't look for trouble, I keep my nose clean and do my job) but there is just a part of me that wonders "is this it for the next 30 years of my life?"

Last edited:
Back