would love to see the walkman and camera in the next game...

...returning from S1 and 2, maybe as items to find or purchase. Kind of miss collecting cassettes. It was one of the more interesting ways to spend money, and helped kill time while waiting around for the bus or something. They could even improve it by letting the music play outside the menu, so I can play something else when I get tired of the track in a particular area. And the photo metagame was an interesting way to make Ryo a tourist.

3 has plenty of stuff to collect, but usable, unique items like these are more interesting, imo.

The cassettes were fun collectibles that were a bit underutilised, as the game treats them like a sound test menu. Having the songs play as Ryo walks around would've transformed them into an amazing part of the game...although the ambient music and atmosphere is such a huge part of Shenmue that I'm not 100% about it.

Having "Magical Sound Shower" blasting as you leave Ryo's house for the first time, instead of the ambient track in the actual game, would completely ruin it. I think being able to play the music in your room/apartment could work -- something like that.

i felt the same way about a walkman. i remember saying before they completed s3.

i just remember how cool it was to use the mp3 player in metal gear solid 4 (2008). it was designed so you could use it to change the background music in-game. this completely change the overall feeling of the game ( so you could add your own battle music in an engagement to hype yourself up). i don't think any game has added a mp3 player since? ..if i remember correctly, kojima was a big fan of the ipod and that's why he added it to mgs4.

tape players and music as collectables were fully established in shenmue 1&2. it would be great if they brought them back in any future game.

here is a basic clip of the in-game mp3 player in metal gear solid 4

Last edited:
The cassettes were fun collectibles that were a bit underutilised, as the game treats them like a sound test menu. Having the songs play as Ryo walks around would've transformed them into an amazing part of the game...although the ambient music and atmosphere is such a huge part of Shenmue that I'm not 100% about it.

Having "Magical Sound Shower" blasting as you leave Ryo's house for the first time, instead of the ambient track in the actual game, would completely ruin it. I think being able to play the music in your room/apartment could work -- something like that.
Yeah, agree with that. Not sure how to make it more useful without potentially overriding the intended mood. The player's room would need to be a place where they're doing something for it to be very useful.

In S3, the main time I could've used something like that was walking around outside the hotel in Niaowu. I just got very tired of that particular song playing constantly. Controlling specific moments by not allowing use of the tapes would work in many cases, but areas where the player spends a lot of time could benefit from it. In S1, I mostly used the tapes during lunch breaks or waiting for the bus at the harbor.

Back