Worst JRPG You've Experienced

What's the worst jrpg you have played on any gaming system?

For me, it has to be Super Hydlide for the Sega Mega Drive. I rented it as a boy back in the early 1990s. The weight system is terrible; even if you equip the best armour and weapons, your character will still be encumbered to move efficiently. Oh, and you have to wary of attacking "Good" monsters to not let it affect your karmic rating. The localisation is absolutely atrocious, as well. I gave up after a few hours of playing this game. Super Turdlide, more like.

The reason why I travailed and successfully completed Phantasy Star II blind (which is probably one of the hardest jrpgs in the early 16 bit days) is because it isn't an unplayable, uninspired turd like Super Hydlide.

Hard to say, especially with differing opinions on terms like these…personally I see it as any RPG made by a Japanese dev, others seem to think it’s a certain “style” of RPG even western devs can make but that just kind of seems arbitrary to me.

With that said, going by my definition, it’s a bit up in the air between considering real low budget stuff or games that are just flat out boring.

Chrono Cross seemed promising at first, even knowing some bits about the story and how it didn’t really jive with some who loved Trigger, but I liked how distinct the music and art style were while retaining a similar feel. But when I found you can only level up after defeating bosses, that just seems like such a dumb restriction and defeats the entire purpose of an RPG.

Dark Souls 2 was a bit similar with limiting enemy spawns. I thought a few of the bosses were kinda neat but never got real far. But in that regard, I’m not sure I find Elden Ring worse or not. Know I’ll be crucified but I just plain don’t like it after realizing a lot of content in the first area would just be recycled tenfold and unique stuff was few and far between. Admittedly not a lot to do with it being an RPG, just don’t feel the need to suck Fromsoft’s dick every time they release a game.

Final Fantasy 15 is another higher budget one. I really tried, and it sorta has this weird charm to it in some parts, but the overall experience is so bland and repetitive and such a slog, especially compared to much earlier games in the series, I just gave up after so many hours of wondering when the combat would become more engaging or anything interesting would happen. I actually enjoyed the mobile/chibi version more for at least trimming the fat, but it wasn’t compelling enough to see through to the end.

I’ve also tried to get into the Xenoblade games. The first was interesting, but at the time I couldn’t afford to buy it, and with my short time with it I couldn’t get used to how the battle system was, nor did I enjoy the sidequests. X on the WiiU caught my attention more and I’ve spent far longer with it simply exploring everything I could, but still just can’t figure out the battle system, no matter how much I grind most stuff seems to destroy me and I’m left wondering just how long until I get the cool robot. 2, I like the ladies but I just can’t take the shots with the deep British voice seriously lol. 3 looks most my thing but I just can’t convince myself to get it knowing my issues with these games so far.

Things like Omega Quintet, even Atelier seem real low budget but I’ve had nothing but fun with them. Hell, Moreo Crystal H so far is ok, Seven Pirates H has been good, just need the time to finish all these. Glad they are making a 3rd Ryza game but I’ve barely gotten through the first two.

However it makes me sad about Harvestella…it looked so interesting, similar to these others, but having tried the demo it just feels like there’s not as much passion there…I may just pass on it unfortunately.

Probably Final Fantasy Type-0 HD.

The game is an incoherent mess! It also has this time passing structure where every sidequest takes up time before you have to progess with a main event - so I can't exactly go at my pace. The combat was okay to be fair but the story is utter nonsense, I have heard replaying it unlocks extra scenes which help but I'm not investing anymore time into it. I just found it unremarkable in everyway.

I could almost put Final Fantasy XV in this topic too, but I only played it at launch and have yet to experience it with all the updates and DLC - I say all, but they never finished all the DLC as the 2nd Season Pass was scrapped and content was reduced to a book... I was eager to give it another try when complete, but it doesn't seem that will ever be the case now....

Back