Will you still play the original games on DC/XBox

RyoHazuki84

俺が益荒男
Favourite title
Shenmue
While we are all getting the HD releases, for those that already own the original copies on DC and XBox, do you think you’ll ever go back to playing them. I think I’ll play co-currently to get a feel of both of them in context to presentation/controls, etc. I usually binge play my Japanese copies of What’s Shenmue, Shenmue 1 and 2 once a season, and probably for nostalgia’s sake, I probably will.

Since I own the VGA converter and an HDMI one, I can compare how they look for fun. I love the VMS features to Shenmue on Dreamcast and I wonder how the HD releases will handle without those features as well.

To me, there’s always a novelty of playing the original. Kind of like watching the original Star Wars releases before the upgraded and all that. While we can still play Mario on the NES classic, playing the original just has a novelty of nostalgia of being 4 years old on XMas 1988 while my family was stationed at Onizuka Air Force Base by Silicon Valley.

Playing Shenmue on Dreamcast just takes me back to NYE 1999/NY 2000

If this mystical Day 1 patch that most definitely exists and fixes everything for sure guaranteed actually for some reason shockingly somehow doesn't exist and actually doesn't fix anything then yeah I'll be going back to the originals immediately

Nope. The day after the HD Collection was announced, I put my Dreamcast on eBay with all related games and accessories. I had been waiting for this to be announced as I was keeping my Dreamcast almost exclusively for these games. My only regrets in selling my Dreamcast is that I no longer have access to Daytona or Jet Grind Radio. All my other favorite Dreamcast titles are available on other systems I own.

I did keep my blue VMU (pictured in my avatar) with my Shenmue save file and Chao Adventure installed on it. It currently stands on my nerd shelf. :giggle:

I am definitely going to go back to them. Shenmue 1 on the Dreamcast will and always will be a special game to me. I don't think anything could replace playing the Shenmue series on the Dreamcast. I do sometimes play the XBox version of Shenmue 2 but I just prefer playing my PAL copy of that.

I most certainly intend to play Shenmue and Shenmue 2 both on Dreamcast again after the HD release. I do, however, have so many other games to play and not a lot of free time to play games so I am not sure when that'd happen ...but it will! :D

Most definitely. Still moreso, if anything.

There is always something that the original Dreamcast versions will have that these new re-releases wont just by the pure nature of the systems they now are. Eg, VMU mini game and hints. Passport and even What's Shenmue.

Oh right, yes. My answer is yes.

I mean, I don't think I won't return to it but I just see the re-release occupying my interests 99% simply for the convenience, modern enhancements and for using with current gen controllers etc. I also want to get the trophies across all platforms for this one so it's safe to say i'm ready and prepared for making this leap.

Had this release put the whole game in widescreen no... Now I am still trying to find a way to set up My Dreamcast to do so...

I'm not 100% sure, because for the last couple of years I've been wondering if I'm finally all done with the original Shenmue games. I've replayed both a ridiculous number of times and I don't know if I feel any reason to replay them anymore. I wanted to replay them both one more time before Shenmue 3 came out (and actually, I already replayed Shenmue 1 a couple of years ago anyways).

But who knows? If I do ever decide to replay them again after playing through these modern day ports, then I may revert back to the DC originals to be honest. It depends how well this game is patched, because it really is convenient having dual audio and both games on one disc on a PS4. I am a retro gamer though, so there is big appeal with playing DC originals (I still play on my Dreamcast all the time and it's hooked up to my main TV via VGA).

I'll have to make tons and tons of comparisons eventually so no immediate end to the Dreamcast.
Even beyond that I don't see any reason that keeps me from going back to the originals. Nothing will ever make those obsolete.

Short answer: yes. Now that I finally got my hands on an Akura, I can hook my Dreamcast up to a modern-day TV again, so I'm definitely going to go back to the originals.

After what I've read about the on the spoilers thread, the Dreamcast originals are probably still the best version of these two games out there, at least until the remasters get fixed.

I still get a kick out of What’s Shenmue to this day. Plus, the original Japanese DC version to Shenmue 1 has licensed Coca Cola products in the game, and as a true Coca Cola lover, I just can’t give that up.

It would’ve been nice if What’s Shenmue and Project Berkeley were included in the HD release

Depends greatly on how I feel about the ports, and how good modding for the PC version comes along. But if I walk away feeling like the DC versions are STILL the definitive versions, then you better believe those are the versions I'll be playing every time going forward...

Back