Will it be Enough after almost 19+Years?

I'm hoping to see a Showing here in Tokyo for TGS 2019. I want to be present for its premiere if planned

Has it been confirmed to be at the TGS? If so, I think we’d have heard something by now.

I'm one of the older fans around here - I was 25 or 26 when I played Shenmue I, so I don't have a childhood memory to live up to. Having said that, I was still mightily impressed by Shenmue at the time. My hope is that there will be an abundance of the same kind of rare and unique experiences that people are still discovering and sharing with each other from I & II even now... in other words, in 2038, someone will share an interaction with a character in a specific time or place that they found in III, and others will have that same "Wow, I never saw that before!" reaction. So I've got high (low?) hopes for the depth of the game's world. That's what will make it really satisfying to me.

Would that be back in 2000? LOL. I sort of have that role as an “older fan” to the Yakuza community. I got the Japanese version of it back in November 2005, when it debuted and I was 21 and most people told me they were teenagers or just too young to play it back then. But yeah, even the old Shenmue games have features people are sharing that many haven’t noticed before and I’m positive Shenmue III could offer such content.

hen people talk about something missing in their lives, this is a prime example for me. I could not care how good or bad this game is, I just need to see the third game through, and ideally the entire series.

I was a kid who was bullied at school, never thought I would have a decent job, own my home, get married and have a child. Because these stuff have come to fruition, I have largely put the bad times behind me. I no longer think about the times I was bullied and I have no real regrets from the past or things buried that I don't want resurfacing.

However, Shenmue is the god damn exception. Since the second game, I've probably not gone a single week without thinking about Shenmue. It's the only lingering thing from my past that's on my mind. It's got to a point I could not care if this game was absolute crap, I just need the closure!

I felt the same way about Shenmue III. I felt something was missing in my life without it. I’m glad that you have overcome your other adversities. The themes of losing a loved one, leaving your home to an unknown land, being able to experience it yourself through Ryo just gives you that connection that in your own way, you have unfinished business just like him.

Shenmue is more than just a video game to me. In a lot of ways it helped me transition into adulthood. In terms of satisfaction, I would've been happy if Yu Suzuki wrote the remaining chapters on a napkin and framed it somewhere for people to read. What I've seen from Shenmue III so far is giving me the inclination to believe this is a very unapologetic Shenmue experience and I couldn't ask for more.

As far as what I'm personally looking for out of the game in terms of expectations, the only thing I want is for the game to teach me something that I can carry on to my real life and learn some lessons that can make me a better man like Shenmue I and II did.

Shenmue means something to me in ways that I could have never imagined. I wouldn’t say it helped me transition to adulthood, but it has been a companion that’s been with me for half of my life. I got into it during a time when I was studying Japanese and wanted to one day go there and Shenmue filled in that gap in its own way. My image of Japan until then was mostly just Tokyo and Osaka but getting something rural with Yokosuka was something fresh and made me feel part of a community.

When I play Yakuza, I feel how populated and yet lonely the red light districts of big cities are. I lived near a video game store that sold imports when I was in high school and that is where I got a Japanese Dreamcast (well, my parents got it for my brothers and I as an end of the school year present in May of 1999), and I got my Japanese copy of Shenmue there on December 31, 1999. When the clock hit midnight 2000, the first thing I was doing was playing Shenmue. Maybe I’ll do the same when it becomes 2020 for Shenmue 3.

I rarely play lengthy single-player games nowadays (not by choice, simply no time) so in all honesty, Shenmue III will be the first "big" game I'll finish since Breath of the Wild. I mean, I was extremely excited for the Resident Evil 2 remake because that's another childhood favourite of mine. I bought it day-one...and still haven't played it :crying:

Anyway, Shenmue III is different. Playing it will be my number one priority, and I can't imagine a world in which I don't feel awe and wonder when Ryo and Shenhua exit that cave for the first time. It still feels like a miracle it exists, and I think that's going to hit hard when I boot up the game for the first time.

Back in 2015 I wasn't sure what we'd end up with would be worth it, but now, from everything we've seen, there's just no way I'm going to be disappointed. That may seem fanboyish, but my expectations are realistic at the same time. I'm not expecting Red Dead levels of detail, incredible voice acting and a world-beating combat system. I don't need that stuff. All I need is the unique atmosphere you can only get from a Shenmue game, the sense of mystery, cool characters, and a solid continuation of the story. Once I feel that, I'll be happy.

I think we’d have heard something by now

I’ve read the interview. Based on my understanding of the interview (not on Google translate’s, and I am level 1 certified on the Japanese Language Proficiency Test), he says he hasn’t planned anything on Tokyo Game SHow but he wants to do it. He never said anything official as of yet, but still, it is something promising.

Honestly I care more about the feeling of closure than the game itself. And I'm not even talking about closure as ending the story, just like finally scratching an itch.
I'd love to see more games inspired by Shenmue though.

I can't see me not being satisfied with the game. I really only wanted more Shenmue story along with that fantastic atmosphere, and the last trailer even more than ever sold me on that - great looking environments, Chai and Ren are looking awesome, arena and training being a nice focus... As long as they manage to get some progress done with the story after 2's cliffhangar ending I'll definitely be satisfied.

When people talk about something missing in their lives, this is a prime example for me. I could not care how good or bad this game is, I just need to see the third game through, and ideally the entire series.

I was a kid who was bullied at school, never thought I would have a decent job, own my home, get married and have a child. Because these stuff have come to fruition, I have largely put the bad times behind me. I no longer think about the times I was bullied and I have no real regrets from the past or things buried that I don't want resurfacing.

However, Shenmue is the god damn exception. Since the second game, I've probably not gone a single week without thinking about Shenmue. It's the only lingering thing from my past that's on my mind. It's got to a point I could not care if this game was absolute crap, I just need the closure!

Man, I’m the same exact way. “Closure” is the same word I feel that I need when it comes to Shenmue. Whether a game or a story or whatever I just need closure because it’s a huge open point in my life that lacks resolution. I’m married with a kid and a great job but even with all that awesomeness in the back of my mind is this bit that still needs satisfying.

So I really hope we get this game and a couple more and we finally see “The End” or at the very least get closure to the Lan Di arc. The longer Yu drags the story out the less chance we get at seeing “The End.” So I would really hope he can finish it by Shenmue 4. But realistically I think he feels the need for 5 or 6 total.

Shenmue 3 will live up to the hype. Yu Suzuki is at the helm and has all the funds he needed to deliver his full Shenmue 3 experience. This game will please the Shenmue community. For the newcomers only time will tell.

Back