Suzuki-san, Sato-san or Tanaka-san
Banned
PSN
Robfozz_
XBL
Robfozzz
Steam
Robfozz
On my most recent playthrough of Shenmue 2, I noticed that Ryo's face almost never changes. He's obviously known for being a bit deadpan but looking back on the first game he does have a lot of expressions. He'll smile at the kids, look serious when asking about "that day", make that weird face when he drinks soda, and of course express appropriate emotions during cutscenes.

In Shenmue 2, none of this happens. It's actually jarring in the rare one or two times his face does move because it isn't happening for 99% of the game. This might be controversial to say but Corey Marshall's performance as Ryo in 2 is pretty montone too whereas again in the first game he does show emotion in the delivery.

So what gives? If I had to guess, I think maybe because Shenmue 2 is so much bigger than the first game, they just didn't bother as it'd take too much time to implement? If at all possible I think a mod that adds appropriate expressions would be neat to see.

IDK, just something I noticed and I wanted to see what you guys think.

I've always found the voice acting in 2 for the English didn't help it hugely. Now we don't know what direction Corey was given so I won't go in on that.

I have found the Japanese dub more emotive in 2 with the faces (personal preference) like when Ryo makes it to the top of Ghost Hall and Ren takes the lift. His face there is fine. Certain lines in the Japanese dub are better too (when chasing Ren "I don't appreciate this") and these were changed for the Xbox version.

Size of game may have had something to do with it but I am not sure. It never personally bothered me at the time or now. I see your point though.

Ryo still has his moments. Smiling at the girl from the ship, when asking Izumi about the Duck Races, that expression of pain and sort of embarressment after getting hit by Jianmin's Iron Palm, the shocked look after finding Wang-san and of course the above mentioned death stare.

The dub makes a lot of people sound pretty monotonus while others are way overacted. It's not so much the fault of the actors but of the director, who insisted on these kinds of expressions pretty harshly.

I think it's on purpose. He's experiencing culture shock, while also still in a numb state from his father's murder and his focus on revenge. Plus he was already a reserved person to begin with. A few times you see some life break through. In particular I remember his expression of wonder at some of the things that Shenhua shows him. I think they've set it up this way so we witness him coming back to a more balanced spectrum of emotions in III. The recent clip of him walking with Shenhua showed him smiling and a bit more relaxed.

I dunno, I've never felt the expressions to be lacking in Shenmue II.

I think the op is referring to when you speak to people, because yea Ryo is super stiff. Even more evident after playing the rerelease of the first game and then going straight into 2. I don't think I've even seen him blink when he's talking to people. Major difference compared to s1, and I actually never noticed this before.

Never notice that I guess you are right. Even if this scene she check out Xiu Ying while she is sleeping.
Maybe Ryo has Autism.

Back