Which Shenmue game did you play first?

My first experience with Shenmue was with the first game, i played the game on a Dreamcast emulator in 2015, i didn't had Dreamcast at that time so my only option to play Shenmue was with the emulator, i remember having some problems with the emulator but i managed to play the entire game.

First i played the english version, after that i remember that i played the japanese version with english subs, the Shenmue undub version, after that i played Shenmue II, at that time i had to play Shenmue I and II in the emulator because no Dreamcast for me at that time.

Now we have Shenmue I and II HD so is more accessible for people to buy and to experience these beautiful games.

Shenmue 1 on Dreamcast on Christmas. What a wonderful experience, and what a great console the Dreamcast was/is.

Shenmue 1 and 2, Resident Evil Code Veronica, Soul Calibur, Phantasy Star Online 1 and v2, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Crazy Taxi, Virtua Tennis, etc.

Dreamcast was available to play in many commercial centers, so that is one of the reasons of why I became interesed in it.
I was amazed just seeing it in action.

And Shenmue, the same, first I did see it in some magazines and the designs of the characters and the graphics were the maximum, and so unique. I still think that way. Later I did see this in some vhs magazine and commercial center.

And my fight to get a Dreamcast and this game did begin, I think that even I did begin to work in that time to get it, ha ha.

In these times, PSX was still on the market, and I love that console too, but have a Dreamcast in those times, was the maximum.

For me, Shenmue is the greatest expression that the video game has reached.

Last edited:
Shenmue 1 when it first came out on Dreamcast all that way back.

I played it so much after that until Shenmue 2 released, which we didn't even know about at the time, my brother just came home with a carrier bag from HMV and I said why have you bought S1 again? (I could tell it was Shenmue because of the big double case cardboard sleeve!) When I opened it and realised it was S2... Couldn't get the first disc into the Dreamcast fast enough! :p
I was actually so scared about taking the discs out of the case in case they snapped and couldn't continue playing lol

OG upon release.

It's so funny that my two favorite games/series of all time (FFVII/Shenmue) were total hand-me-downs from my brother who fell for the hype - then got turned off instantly when he realized what kind of games they were. I was left to explore the only games he wouldn't bring to his friends or allowed me to play.

I fell in love with Shenmue instantly, I was 13 years old when it was released and I loved it for the same reason my bro hated it - it felt so peaceful and calming, even though there was occasional violence in it.

I got the Japanese version of Shenmue 1 for Dreamcast on the evening of December 31, 1999. I remember when it hit the year 2000 in Arizona, I was playing Shenmue. I bought it at a store that specialized in selling imports. Sadly, that store closed around this time last year. I was taking Japanese at the high school I was going to (it was my second year). Despite having the highest grade in class, it wasn't good enough to fully understand it.

So my experience is a little unique in the sense I was living in New Zealand at the time and was a hardcore Nintendo fanboy. I remember reading and seeing screenshots of the Dreamcast but never purchased it until essentially the machine had just been announced to be discontinued.

I bought the machine second hand, I distinctly remember reading IGN and it had a screenshot of Ryo gazing up at the crane in the harbour and I was promptly sold on Shenmue. I actually bought the Dreamcast which came with Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure and both Shenmje games!

I absolutely was enthralled in my first playthrough but the 14 year old me encountered the infamous harbour glitch. I was stuck in this infinite Groundhog Day and didn’t know any better at the time, so in frustration I embarrassingly started Shenmue 2 but shortly afterwards discovered the glitch through Gamefaqs or the Dojo and was able to resume and finish the first game and then straight into the sequel.

The original, which my brother bought shortly after release because he liked the look of the trailer (or "rolling demo," as they were known back then) that came with a recent Official Dreamcast Magazine demo disc. He didn't play a single second of the game, but I was all over it like a rash.

I bought Shenmue and Majora's Mask on the same day. I thought it was a remarkable little time for games, and both titles offered a more intimate world than games usually offer, still in this day.

I first played them in order in maybe 2007 or 2008, but I have a lot of fond memories of my early childhood watching my brother play both games in the early 2000s.

I bought Shenmue 2 on Original Xbox I think within a year of its' US release. So that was my first game. I was interested in Shenmue because of reviews but I was too late to buy the Dreamcast copy, so I learned everything from "Shenmue: The Movie" DVD. I even let my friend play it so he got into Shenmue also.

I remember getting frustrated in Shenmue 2 that I stopped playing it for 5 years (I think). Then I finally got to the last part and I felt so relieved, but also sad at the time, because we wouldn't get a new game until much later.

I played Shenmue 1 on Steam as well as Shenmue 3 at the end of 2021. S1 was cool to play, and S3 left me with the similar feeling of "when is the next part coming out?"

Last edited:
I played shenmue 1 at release which I loved and still do. I played shenmue 2 at release and disliked in japanese then bought it cheaply on xbox where I liked it a lot more in english. I played shenmue 3 some time after release and I'm still mitigated about it.

I got a Dreamcast for Christmas in 1999 and played Shenmue 1 shortly afterwards in 2000. I actually rented it from Blockbuster and they only included the first disc in the rental box. So I played that first disc over and over until eventually convincing my parents to buy me the full game.

Back