What are you playing?

Well, I went from thinking Hollow Knight is nothing to special to---30 hours later, thinking it's one of the greatest games I've ever played. What an experience, and I'm not done. I actually deleted it after an hour, cuz I thought it wasn't even as interesting as Bloodstained. I was so wrong. Easily the best 2D platformer I've played since Sonic Mania (lol), and definitely as good as the classics. Bloodstained's a great formula game; Hollow Knight is an evolution of the form.
With your permission Im signing under your post.

As I age my patience for obtuse and difficult games diminishes
Indeed but also the muscular memory for retro games boost to almost supernatural.

Have been playing numerous Platinum games lately, but mostly the Bayonetta games with 3 coming out soon.

Have played the first one a few times now so it was still mostly fresh in my memory. I think overall it’s just got more that is, well, memorable about it, for lack of a better word. I think playing 2 on the Switch now is the first time I’ve actually touched it since it initially released on WiiU.

It’s really hard to say which is better. First game had a lot of annoying things about it, however at the same time I feel the changes to make the sequel smoother kind of make it more forgiving in ways that it really doesn’t need to. That, and climax mode feeling like it was implemented so enemies could be damage sponges and thus still “difficult”.

Bonus stages are much easier to find, often not hidden at all, and we’re far too repetitive in what challenges they gave. Not losing all your magic upon taking a hit…maybe that’s a good thing. The climax mode I feel kinda takes away from getting the unique kill animations. Lastly I think the dodge windows are way more open, not necessarily a bad thing on its own but it makes a lot of fights feel like they are paced to the enemy ai deciding when it wants to attack, rather than being a bit more of a balanced dance.

There are other aspects to compare, though. The first game had great designs for sure, but I think the sequel kind of blows it out of the water, especially with Bayonetta’s look herself. Much more vibrant and varied colors help as well, not to mention more diverse locales. The one thing really missing is bosses…it feels like you’re almost constantly cycling through the same few late in the game. A few early ones are neat but feel much less grand, more like mini bosses compared to the four that bookended each chapter of the first game. That and I felt Jeane was far more challenging than the masked Lumen.

Speaking of…interesting choice to try to humanize the bad guy from the first game. I wouldn’t say it’s a flawed premise to begin with but execution is kinda shaky, and I don’t know how much I like the idea of what causes him to be evil. Retroactive stuff like this is always too absurd for me to handle. I liked Loki more than Cereza, feel like he was better for getting Bayonetta to show a more vulnerable side to herself. Seeing more Rodin involved even just a little was nice. Kinda feel like Jeane got the short end of the stick for being such an important drive for the plot - sure she’s on ice for most of it, but the sort of middling pacing makes it feel like she’s not really cared for, and after she’s saved she barely gets any screen time. Luka, though…man, I really hate what they did with his character. He was a bit of comedy relief, but did have a serious side in the first game. Here he’s just dumb reused jokes and an exposition dump. All that development he got seems it was for nothing.

Most importantly I guess is it feels a lot like going through a lot of the same motions, despite the plot itself being different. You’ve got a lot of the same character interactions and relationships, a ton of the same set pieces, it’s like they were playing it safe because they didn’t know what people liked about the first game exactly and so they just copied literally everything.

It’s why I’m hopeful for what we’ve seen of 3 so far. At the very least, the setup seems to have potential for a very different kind of story that feels more distinct. I didn’t hate 2, to be sure, but if this is a series that will go on repeating all the same tropes, it’s gonna be harder to stay interested in it for long.

Fight'n Rage. Great beat'em up, try it!
Alright couldnt finish it, I think I missed the final stage. Still great tho.

I started Soulstice, played chapter 3. I'm really liking it, I think this is gonna be one of those games I dont agree with most of the community's opinion...

Finished Soulstice, loved it.

Played and finished Scorn, great experience, even when i'm not a fan of puzzles.

Started Persona 5 Royal. Thank you Sega!

She's a close second, but the teacher has to be number one, right? I'm not quite as far into the game as you though :unsure:
Gonna be honest with you, when I saw the teacher I loved her and picked her, but I think I missed smh, because I dont have a relationship with her. My gf explained me how to do it, but anyway, thank god I didnt, bc I'm sure the doctor it's best waifu :love:

Played through Phantasy Star II again (this time with maps because I value my sanity a little more these days) and maaan... I know the game has issues, but I still think it's just such an incredible experience. Seriously lightyears ahead of all other JRPGs at the time, it's insane to think it came out only a bit over a year after the first Final Fantasy. The characters, combat, music, graphics, story, man I just love it all in PSII so much.

I started PSIII again right after and it's great as well. Not sure I'll ever understand the hate for this game, especially the music. Literally the first two tracks you hear in the game are these, and they're absolutely wonderful.

Still playing Persona 5 Royal, 35 hours in, loving it! Picked my waifu.

Takemi :love:
She's a close second, but the teacher has to be number one, right? I'm not quite as far into the game as you though :unsure:
I happen to be an expert on this subject: Kawakami is indeed the top P5 waifu. Haru is a distant second.

She was my first option but just didnt appear! I just moved on... Now that I know how to start a confidant with her... But I'm already with Takemi...
Maybe in another life... *starts a new save*

Played through Phantasy Star II again (this time with maps because I value my sanity a little more these days) and maaan... I know the game has issues, but I still think it's just such an incredible experience. Seriously lightyears ahead of all other JRPGs at the time, it's insane to think it came out only a bit over a year after the first Final Fantasy. The characters, combat, music, graphics, story, man I just love it all in PSII so much.

I started PSIII again right after and it's great as well. Not sure I'll ever understand the hate for this game, especially the music. Literally the first two tracks you hear in the game are these, and they're absolutely wonderful.

I happen to be an expert on this subject: Kawakami is indeed the top P5 waifu. Haru is a distant second.

The intro is just a fantastic tune, really sets the tone and for me personally, puts a huge smile on my face :)

PSII's main theme is nothing special, but the other three games all have awesome intro themes, with III's being the best IMO and IV being a close second... but it is just a short version of IV's closing theme, which is arguably the best musical piece in the quadrilogy.

I can't believe that October made it 8 years since I played the 4, back, to back, to back, to back. Time has flown.

A quick further comment on II, just thinking about it now, I think my main issue with it is that is just doesn't have as much personality as the other three games did: this can probably be due to the fact that in Japan, there was a shit-ton of supplementary material and gaiden games, that DID flesh out the characters and add more personality. I mean, you have all of these playable and NPCs, with big, bright anime-style art representing their characters, but they all say one or two lines and that's it. Stuff like that.

And then it spills over into the gameplay and overworld, which is still incredibly drab and devoid of any personality, that the first game and the 2 subsequent, did have in spades. The most dialogue and personality in the entire game, is the ending lol

Last edited:
The intro is just a fantastic tune, really sets the tone and for me personally, puts a huge smile on my face :)

PSII's main theme is nothing special, but the other three games all have awesome intro themes, with III's being the best IMO and IV being a close second... but it is just a short version of IV's closing theme, which is arguably the best musical piece in the quadrilogy.

I can't believe that October made it 8 years since I played the 4, back, to back, to back, to back. Time has flown.

A quick further comment on II, just thinking about it now, I think my main issue with it is that is just doesn't have as much personality as the other three games did: this can probably be due to the fact that in Japan, there was a shit-ton of supplementary material and gaiden games, that DID flesh out the characters and add more personality. I mean, you have all of these playable and NPCs, with big, bright anime-style art representing their characters, but they all say one or two lines and that's it. Stuff like that.

And then it spills over into the gameplay and overworld, which is still incredibly drab and devoid of any personality, that the first game and the 2 subsequent, did have in spades. The most dialogue and personality in the entire game, is the ending lol
I think it had been a hot minute for me as well with III in particular. They're big time commitments, but dang they sure are magical experiences. I'm looking forward to starting IV after this as well, it really feels like forever since I played that one.

And man... Truck, you know you're my boy, my anti-Big N (more like Small N amirite) brother-in-arms, but you know I can't just take that slander against the PSII opening theme lying down. I love this spacey goodness. :alien:

I think it had been a hot minute for me as well with III in particular. They're big time commitments, but dang they sure are magical experiences. I'm looking forward to starting IV after this as well, it really feels like forever since I played that one.

And man... Truck, you know you're my boy, my anti-Big N (more like Small N amirite) brother-in-arms, but you know I can't just take that slander against the PSII opening theme lying down. I love this spacey goodness. :alien:

lol it's not a bad tune! It's just drab and boring, like the rest of the game lol.

The spacey-ness is nice, but it's just ho-hum. I is nice and upbeat, III is this triumphant and feel-good tune and IV is a serious rock-out tune that makes you think, "oh shit, this is going to be rough!"

II is all, "ho-hum, I'm just sitting out here in space, doing nothing..." But yes, I will refrain from any more disparaging :)

If it makes you feel any better, Rudolf is probably my favourite character after Wren (who is the greatest), Alis, Chaz and Rhys, Anna is awesome and Nei is just... Nei lol, super-iconic and a much-beloved character, whose love is well-deserved (but I still prefer Rika ;)).

Back