What are you playing?

Found a digital copy of the box art. I even changed the icons on the back to match PS5 icons.

View attachment 12857
I played it last year for the first time and was the greatest experience as a player. When I finished it I had a hole in the chest during the next days.

I beat Psychonauts 2 yesterday, and as I was hoping in my last post the game did finally click with me after the first hour or two. It's definitely a worthy sequel and Double Fine did a really great job, especially considering they haven't made a full sized $60 game since Brutal Legend if I'm not mistaken. I'm torn if I like this or the original better, which I was not expecting.

I thought the main story was better than the first and was much more introspective. There is a bit of an old school "collectathon" aspect to the game (for better or worse), but exploration in the hub areas was great. Everything was laid out in a way that required you to pay attention and really think about how you need to chain together your powers and jumps to get to different areas of the map.

The two areas I thought 2 was a bit worse than 1 is that the side characters felt a bit underdeveloped and I don't think any of the levels matched the creativity or humor of the top 3 or 4 levels from the original. However, 2 didn't really have the same low points as 1 and was probably a more consistent game.

The concerns I had with the game when I started playing put in the spoilers below:
I think the reason the cutscenes originally looked weird to me may have just been that Milla Vodella herself felt kind of off. Just a minor nitpicky thing, but it felt like her head and eyes were much bigger (or perhaps the camera was zoomed in more), and she blinked very slowly. For something that's so stylized with a cartoon aesthetic, she had a weird uncanny valley feeling.

My biggest concern was that the first brain you enter after the intro was more of a weird "void" location with a bunch of very sparse platforms, which didn't really feel like it established a real setting. I was afraid that a lot of the levels would be like that due to a lack of budget, but thankfully that improved over time.

EDIT: And also wanted to add the game also got much better when you had free access to the hub areas

I beat Izzy on Saturday and it is a great little game.

Not even close to the best platformer on the console (still think that's either Rayman, SA2 or Neo. Still need to play Napple Tale!), but a worthy addition, especially since it is a Senile Team game.

Lots of fun and definitely worth your time, a solid 8/10

Also set the high score for every table on Pinball Dreams for the GG last night AND saw the ending in Columns on the GG as well.

Good titles.

Getting into Nino Kuni II a bit. Initial plan was to just rush through it but I am actually spending some time levelling up and learning the systems.

Also, it turns out you can link as many profiles to your PS5 for console sharing. Initially, I just done this with my brother but turns out I could also add my friends profile who has Spiderman Miles Morales. Basically, got that game and a few others for free.

OMG I've just discovered Stadia on PC. Got Judgment for $30 and I'm loving every second of it so far. It is another Shenmue. I really need to see these moves, how to string combos and all. I loved the feel of it. My PS4 controller got recognized second 1. No downloading, no installing. I was playing minute 1. Decade worth of exclusives I never played there on PC I bet. I need to understand their pro plan. If I get it right, Judgement was not a part of it, so I bet will be other AAA games. Probably will cancel after the trial.

It is NOT another 'mue, nothing is like Shenmue, period.
LOL maybe, but it has that vibe. But yeah by now I spot some of that Yakuza I used to hate, but it's way improved. It'll take me time to get the combos. I love that it's a detective game too. I looked at Stadia a bit more, nope, it's kind of limited for now. I've found some more on it I haven't played and will though.

Still playing Deadly Premonition 2, been trying to go at it a bit more slowly than my first time through and mostly it’s been fun. Only thing I probably won’t bother with is the last bowling challenge…well, and maybe the boating stuff if it’s as bad as I remember.

Deltarune chapter 2 came out, so I played a little bit of it until I decided I might need a refresher on chapter 1, so I just finished doing that. Not quite as long as I remember but certainly pretty dense in the amount of stuff that happens in such a short time.

Got the Castlevania Advanced collection. I’ve seen a few playthroughs or LPs/etc. on YouTube but I’ve only ever played Symphony of the Night before so my memory of these others isn’t the best. Tried Circle of the Moon so far and even that feels a bit archaic but I think I’ll be able to get used to it. More excited for Aria of Sorrow as that seems to be a fan favorite.

Was surprised that this weird seemingly low budget card game was headed by Yoko Taro when I saw it in the recent Nintendo Direct, so I tried out the demo for Voice of Cards and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Perhaps my only gripe with it is that there’s only one voice actor, but even that I’m not sure of because then that might ruin the idea that it’s a table top RPG. Not sure it can hold up an entire game, but maybe that’s why it’s only $30…but seemingly more interesting than Reincarnation sadly. I really like the style of that game but the gacha aspect and just being simple enough to work on mobile made me lose interest fast.

Still looking forward to Metroid Dread pretty soon as well as The Good Life finally releasing October 15th. Glad to see Bayonetta 3 still exists. New Kirby game looks rad, just wish it was releasing sooner since Nintendo had said the Direct would focus on winter releases…

Hey, did you know there's a patch now for the emulator rom to be fully in English? There's a guide on how to run it and all. It works perfectly.
Yeah I'm aware the patch is out but I played the game for so long now I know what most of the Japanese says, especially since most of the menus are the exact same as WM2000. And I also don't feel like editing the roster to make them look like they are suppose to again lol.

Yeah I'm aware the patch is out but I played the game for so long now I know what most of the Japanese says, especially since most of the menus are the exact same as WM2000. And I also don't feel like editing the roster to make them look like they are suppose to again lol.
Not 100% sure you'd need to. I don't remember if I needed to. This is another thing that's been bugging me forever. I know the company is gone now, but someone must own the engine. A.J. Styles loved it to death, he was going to try and use it for his promotion at that time. Well he's a millionaire now... The thing is so perfect, it's begging to be used but with the new graphics. I think it'd need to be done in Japan though, U.S. pro wrestling became too much of a clown show for a game like that to depict it. It's a shame.

We always got mods luckily. Unfortunately I have a 2.6ghz windows 8 laptop with a couple dead pixels on it and it can barely run Sega Saturn games... I need to buy a better computer one day.

Going to hit up New World on Tuesday, but lately I've been playing Bless Unleashed for my MMO fix. Otherwise, I'm working on my Animal Crossing town (especially in hopes of that new content on the way!), giving Actraiser Renaissance a go (first time playing Actraiser!) and poking at the Castlevania Advance collection.

I have a super soft spot for the GBA/DS Castlevania games. I actually played most of them before seriously playing Symphony of the Night (I had only played a little bit of it, back on the Saturn). Circle of the Moon was my first GBA game, and they felt like the only consistent Metroidvania options during the aughts.

i completed spider-man miles morels on ps5.

although the graphics and ray tracing is impressive, i would only give the game 7/10. the story was a bit weak and the side missions are no interest for me. i think spiderman (2018) was a better game.

maybe my rating is a bit harsh but i find these sort of open world games are getting a bit boring now, unless they have an amazing story line. its not just spiderman mm but i find all side missions boring ..the only time i found it fun was Ape Escape on ps1 ( going back and collecting all the monkeys lol).

Just finished Ni No Kuni II. Good game, 7/10 for me. One thing I did appreciate, to an extent, is how they sped things up towards the end. Basically, you can access to a plane and get traverse the map very quickly. I also appreciated how you did not have to pay too much attentions to levelling up and tweaking things. All my Higgly creature things never got passed the first level and I didn't bother swap things out aside from the weapons. Nor did I do much with items apart from those that heal and revive you. Basically, if you have little time/patience like me, you can play the game that way. Or, if you want more of a challenge, you can focus on building your Kingdom, tweaking stats and such. Wish more games were like this.

With that said, I did not like how the game somewhat pads the runtime but forcing you to get x amount of citizens and level your Kingdom up. Spent too much time doing that which I did not appreciate, especially as many of the quest are not that simply and require you to develop things or find rare items.

i completed spider-man miles morels on ps5.

although the graphics and ray tracing is impressive, i would only give the game 7/10. the story was a bit weak and the side missions are no interest for me. i think spiderman (2018) was a better game.

maybe my rating is a bit harsh but i find these sort of open world games are getting a bit boring now, unless they have an amazing story line. its not just spiderman mm but i find all side missions boring ..the only time i found it fun was Ape Escape on ps1 ( going back and collecting all the monkeys lol).
I just started playing it and with you with the open world fatigue. One thing I don't get is the graphics. It could be my TV settings but I am struggling to see what the big deal is, though I thought it had amazing graphics looking at YouTube videos.

I am going to start Wavelengths soon. The main game True Colors was an amazing experience that exceeded expectations. I don't expect Wavelengths to be amazing, great or even good given it's DLC nature and the character not being anywhere even remotely as interesting as the main character from True Colors, but if I can get at least a 6/10 experience out of this, I'll be happy with it for the price point.

Tried The Good Life demo on steam…kinda glad to be getting it on console since my laptop can barely run it. Not sure how long the demo actually is but I played for about an hour and a half. Mostly good stuff, just can’t deal with my computer chugging. Crazy how it can run better looking games so smoothly but just for whatever reason has a ton of trouble with the odd game here and there.

Back