Valve Steam Deck

I dont't know what mDP/PD output is, so sorry if this doesn't answer your question, but you can use any standard USB-C dock to connect it to a monitor or television.
miniDisplay Port or DisplayPort. Forgot about USB-C phasing them out..

I'll miss minidisplay, was very useful for me :/

So I looked into this. You can cancel at any point. If you cancel within the next 30 days, you get your £4 refunded. If you cancel at any point after this, you lose your deposit. It's only 4 quid though, so not a big deal.
Nice I can cope with that haha.

@Reprise which model did you get? It took me a fucking hour to finally get through with the 256gb because I got hit with the "too many purchases" lockout right at the start of reservations opening. Yes I'm still salty.

@Dietsoap Yup, that's the model I went for too. I'm glad you managed to get through the end, the site was a right mess. I don't blame you for being salty, I'm still mad it took me 20 minutes, which I had to endure with my son constantly being like "dadda, dadda, dadda" (bless him) and my cat trying to walk over the keyboard being like "feed me, feed me". You'd think they would have tested their servers to check they would cope.

Handhelds costing that much never feel like a good value. It looks cool though and once the price comes down I'd consider one possibly. A much better value than the Switch for sure considering the diversity of games that will be available and the power compared to Switch.
Yeah, for me I'm looking at all the potential added value it can bring by acting as a PC as well as a handheld, but I'd like to see a few reviews and youtube tutorials post launch. It's the thought that it can be a handheld gaming rig AND a tablet that's kind of a cool prospect, but we'll see. I'm also afraid of being an early adopter and having another model come out 1-2 years later that's much better than this one, but I think that's always a risk with technology.

Here's an overview from Digital Foundry on the specs:

To me, it's not really that expensive. The cheapest model is just under £40 more expensive than the new OLED Switch model and is arguably twice(?) as powerful.

The main concerns though, besides how comfortable and usable it's really going to be (this thing weighs over half a kilogram by the way!), are how long Valve will support it and whether early adopters will get screwed with early problems that get fixed in revisions.

Rats, was hoping they'd revive Steam Boxes. They were a perfect niche for me, but i wasn't ready to invest quite yet before they were already disappeared away

Does the Deck have HDMI/mDP/DP output?
It's USB C output/input so imagine yes to all of those. Assuming there are USB C to Mini DP/DP cables out there.

Last edited:
Preordered the base model. Gonna buy a high storage capacity SD card on black Friday. This this looks awesome the more I look it up.

It's USB C output/input so imagine yes to all of those. Assuming there are USB C to Mini DP/DP cables out there.
There are also "USB-C with DisplayPort" cables if i understand correct, but i don't think they're lighting the world ablaze as far as actually replacing mDP and DP. Most displays using USB-C are simply USB-C gen 2 iirc :D (unless i'm unaware DisplayPort signals are native to any/all USB-C gen2 monitor)

I've preordered the 256GB version,
Shenmue 1/2 will obviously run perfectly
As for Shenmue 3, I've tried the game on my Ryzen 4750G (Zen2 + Vega 8) +16GB ram Deskmini A300, I get an average of around 40FPS but lots of stutters so it dosn't feel like 40FPS (Fullscreen 1366x768 / Vsync on / Middle graphics)
I hope the RDNA2 improvements gets the game even more close to 60fps.

Last edited:
The first thing I will do is download Shenmue 1 & 2 and Shenmue 3. Then Jet Set Radio, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Crazy Taxi and Nights into Dreams. Any other good classic Sega games on Steam?

I'm looking forward to playing a load of classic PC games that haven't been ported to modern consoles (yet) too, like Unreal Tournament, Quake, XIII and the Knights of Republic games.

Yeah, for me I'm looking at all the potential added value it can bring by acting as a PC as well as a handheld, but I'd like to see a few reviews and youtube tutorials post launch. It's the thought that it can be a handheld gaming rig AND a tablet that's kind of a cool prospect, but we'll see. I'm also afraid of being an early adopter and having another model come out 1-2 years later that's much better than this one, but I think that's always a risk with technology.

Here's an overview from Digital Foundry on the specs:

The design is giving off vibes of the Nokia N-Gage and Tiger Gamecom. In other words it looks very hyped but doesn't feel like it will be very successful, though it will no doubt do much better than the aforementioned devices since it's tied to Steam. It looks very uncomfortable to use, especially the button placement and not very ergonomically friendly. I'll reserve judgment until I actually hold one, but first impressions don't look or feel so good. My commentary on the price is just a personal taste statement, as I don't value handheld devices as a whole so paying for them what I pay for a device that hooks up to a big screen isn't something I'd invest in. From a technical market standpoint it sounds like a much better value than the Nintendo Switch, but that isn't saying much as the Switch is about $100 higher than it should be for what it offers in lack of quality games and power.

It sounds promising, but I'm not gunna jump on the hype train. Tbh, a gaming Laptop can be purposed to achieve similar offerings and have even more uses really. Like google stadia, they're gunna have to lock-down exclusives or it's gunna achieve a similar result. Throw half-life 3 on there as an exclusive and maybe It'll fare better.

The first thing I will do is download Shenmue 1 & 2 and Shenmue 3. Then Jet Set Radio, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Crazy Taxi and Nights into Dreams. Any other good classic Sega games on Steam?

I'm looking forward to playing a load of classic PC games that haven't been ported to modern consoles (yet) too, like Unreal Tournament, Quake, XIII and the Knights of Republic games.
A little late, but Space Channel 5 pt 2.

I'm definitely getting this. I have completed Shenmue 1 and 2 many times now, but I don't think I have completed it on a handheld sitting on my decking in my garden 😁
Man, the amount of times I've dreamed of being able to play Shenmue on my Vita.

E6oj2UoXIAEqGVC

Looks top. Doubt I'll get one though. PC Games for me are about two things: a mouse and mods.

Also, can't remember who was saying about getting a Surface Pro on the previous page, but I'd defo recommend it. I use a Surface Go w/detachable keyboard and pen. It's convenient as fuck, especially when using One Drive across all devices. MS gets a lot of shit for whatever reasons, but their almost universal approach to connectivity and compatibility has almost become a necessity.

I'm really beginning to consider getting one, I think more than anything I want to use it as a PS2 Emulator - to any who knows much about specs, will this cover something like PCSX2/RetroArch with PS2? (I own 250+ physical PS2 games before anyone whines at me...). I've been complaining about not having access to my PS2 library in HD ever since the backwards compatible PS3's became less available. So looking for an alternative this could be the answer.

I wish there was more concrete info about the dock, if I were to buy one that would be essential to the package. Has there been any news regarding the capability of the output through the dock? I'm wondering if it will be able to handle a 4K output while running PCSX2

Last edited:
Yes, it would handle PCSX2 quite comfortably. Playing PS2 games at 4K would really be pushing things though, I doubt that would work well.

Back