Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Resident Evil 2
PSN
LordLudichris
XBL
NinjaLudovic
As far as I understand, many of us would refrain from calling Shenmue an RPG. And a lot of non-RPG fans do like Shenmue.
Something I don't quite understand though is how there are several unanimously loved games that are much more slow-paced, naivigating and dialogue orientated than Shenmue but don't get the same criticism for it. I guess Shenmue 1 had a slow start but I was just thankfully patient enough for it.
The thing I love about Shenmue is my strong appetite for adventure, story and a world I can get lost in. Something that Shenmue pulls off stronger than a lot of other open world games. I really do think that this is a story that could never have been told better without doing it in video game format.

When it comes to RPGs, I already have always liked Pokemon ever since I was a kid. I greatly enjoyed South Park The Stick of Truth even though I didn't like the sequel to it.

Many people who don't like RPGs like Earthbound but I've never managed to get into it. I'm happy for anyone who does like Earthbound but I can only guess I haven't played it long enough for it to speed up. I certainly don't want to spread hate about this game like those who don't like Shenmue act towards it.
I remember I used to like Paper Mario which I never finished so it's a good idea I revisit that. And Super Mario RPG is also said to be good and not too challenging.

I suppose I do need to explore this a bit more than I already have. I understand that there are many gamers aren't into RPGs but I really would like to learn to appreciate the old classics more.

I love the concept of JRPGs and Final Fantasy VI-X are among my favourite game sof all time but I feel when I try branch out ot other creators JRPG's they often miss the mark.

One of the biggest problems I have with a lot of classic JRPG's is the Silent Protagonist. I understand the concept of having the avatar act as if the player is in the characters shoes - But all I see is a blank avatar with no personality and sticking out in a really bad way. This is the case with many JRPG's Dragon Quest, Persona, even Chrono Trigger which I am currently playing an dha A LOT of positives the Silent Protgaonist is a huge detraction for me.

JRPG's I have enjoyed which don't have this design flaw (Debatable statement I know but it's really how I see it) are few and far between. The last 'GREAT' JRPG I played was Xenoblade Chronicles. The game has everything from a unique setting, compelling story, engaging characters, great battle system and memorable soundtrack - It;s a fantastic adventure and I can't recommend it enough! The downside is it is stuck as a Nintendo Exclusive... It is available on Wii, NEW 3DS & Switch so if you have any of them systems i implore you to give it a go.

I can't leave this thread without recommending a Final Fantasy title and if you're looking for a great introductory game into the series/genre you can't pass up Final Fantasy X. Much like Xenoblade C' it's a game that excells in every aspect - Some complain about the voice acting but it's never bothered me, much like in Shenmue. But the game has a very easy to understand turn based battle system and the story is very well paced - and very compelling! The good news is there is a near-perfect Remaster of the game pretty much on any system you can think off! It's upscaled really well and looks fantastic still.

Other JRPG Recommendations that I have enjoyed:
Final Fantasy 6, 7, 8, 9
Lost Odyssey
Kingdom Hearts (The series gets very convoluted but there is plenty to enjoy with the original game!)
Fable 1 & 2
Star Ocean 1 & 2 - PSP
NieR, Replicant & Automata

I suppose I do need to explore this a bit more than I already have. I understand that there are many gamers aren't into RPGs but I really would like to learn to appreciate the old classics more.

Since you mention you're interested in playing "old classics", is there a certain generation of consoles you're looking for? (for example, SNES/PS1). Or is it really anything that's stood the test of time? With the amount of age differences between posters here, the definition of "old" can vary . For some people, old is NES, and for others it's PS2. ;)

Here is my top 10 j-rpg list

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Final Fantasy VI
3. Panzer Dragoon RPG
4. Dragon Quest VI
5. Xenogears
6. Yakuza Like a Dragon
7. Magic Knight Rayearth
8. Popolocrois
9. Phantasy Star IV
10. Skies of Arcadia

Honorable mentions to Zelda A Link to the Past, Final Fantasy V, Sakura Taisen, Sailor Moon Another Story, Persona 4, Grandia II, Princess Crown, X-Men Legends

I won't disparage the Ninty/Square RPGs (as they have a massive following and are worth a play), but I've stayed away from them after trying them (playing FF VII in 1998 or so soured me on the genre so much, I didn't play a single RPG {outside of Pokingman on the GB} until PDS in 2008) as they just aren't compelling to me.

Now, the problem is that most of my favourite RPGs have gone up *significantly* in price since I got them (and they were already expensive), so even though I will include a list below, the majority are quite expensive and many have are not available outside their original console and/or emulation.

10. Phantasy Star III (GEN): The black sheep of the series, many aren't fans but I loved how it turned the narrative (for the series) around and went in a new direction that WORKED, even though it wasn't well-received (not due to its quality, just because people didn't like it). A typical JRPG.
1652966477084.png

9. Magic Knight Rayearth (SAT): Lovely story about 3 heroines who are transported to a magical world. Based on an (AWESOME) anime and manga, it is super well-done and Working Designs did a phenomenal job translating it. Brilliant soundtrack too. An action-RPG.

1652966661159.png

8. Segagaga (DC): Made with a shoestring budget and all by one guy (literally), it was Sega's last official hurrah on the DC. Japan-only (and a guide is required, as a result), you play as a teen who is tasked at saving Sega from the evil Dogma (read: Sony) Corporation. While there are a few different genres here and there, the core gameplay is RPG and it is a TON of fun and special for all Sega fans. A JRPG.

1652966846699.png

7. Mahou Gakuen Lunar! (Lunar: Walking School) (SAT): The third game in the Lunar series (a prequel and enhanced port/re-imagining of a GameGear game), you travel to Ien, the supposed birthplace of magic and go to a Magic Academy to learn how to hone your skills. Like MKR, you're a team of girls in this one and it fits in so well with the lore and setting of the rest of the series, it is a superb game. Also had an anime short done. A JRPG.

1652967054158.png

6. Grandia II (DC): A wonderful story, filled with redemption, fear, finding yourself and just a good 'ol battle between good and evil, this game just oozes charm, personality and is an absolute blast. The fighting system is arguably the best I have ever encountered in an RPG and it makes for fun and fast-paced battles, which aren't too-common in the genre. A JRPG.

1652967233577.png

5. Phantasy Star IV (GEN): The absolute best in the series and another RPG that just oozes quality from the word go, this is arguably (my pick, anyways) the best cartridge-based 16-bit RPG ever made. You become one with the characters, the plot is filled with a ton of things and the overworld travelling/fighting is fun and engaging. A typical JRPG.

1652967498936.png

4. Ryu ga Gotoku 7 (Multi): The only recent title, it is the most-recent in the mainline Yakuza games and it is the best title in the series, period. I love the plot, the characters are excellent and the way everything fits in with the rest of the series is just brilliant. I platinumed this in Japanese, so you know it's worth it! A typical JRPG.

1652968040892.png

3. Panzer Dragoon Saga (SAT): Along with the next entry, arguably the best RPG that Sega has ever made, PDS is an absolute masterpiece and the best game Team Andromeda has ever made (albeit they haven't made many lol). The fighting system is completely, 100% unique and the plot is just excellent, especially fitting in with the previous 2 titles in the series and the sequel that came after (which are all Rail Shooters). The most-expensive game on this list by far, expect to pay over $1,000.00 for it and it (so far) cannot be emulated. A, "something completely different," RPG.

1652968336264.png

2. Skies of Arcadia (DC): As mentioned above, the other game that is arguably the best RPG that has ever come out of Sega's building, this is one of the most fun journeys you will ever take in a videogame, with a shit-ton of homages, new mechanics and great visuals. The plot is quite in-depth and has a lot going on, which keeps you engaged and the characters are all brilliant, which makes you emote. The fighting system is also a bit different (ESPECIALLY ship battles), but not different-enough to make anyone confused or frustrated. An enhanced port was made for the GameCube, but is a little bit different. A JRPG.

1652968663212.png

1. Lunar: Eternal Blue (SCD): My absolute-favourite RPG ever and my 5th-favourite game ever outright, I deem this to be the best 16-bit RPG ever made. It is INCREDIBLE from beginning to end and Working Designs' translation is the best they ever did. Almost everything that was said for SoA can be said for EB, save for the fighting system (which is bog-standard), but on an even grander scale. Hiro and Lucia's relationship is also wonderfully-heartwarming, especially since the Silver Star (the prequel, first game in the Lunar series) is a love story, where the female is barely present the whole game; this is done much better. A beautiful and timeless game, it is another masterpiece. A typical JRPG.

1652969006640.png

While I adore all 10 of these games, I would deem only the first 5 as out-and-out masterpieces, with PSIV and the first 3 being truly classic titles of the genre (remains to be seen how RGG7 is remembered). These are some of the most-fun times I have had playing videogames and I've never felt as much emotion when completing these titles, than I have with any other genre/series/etc. (save for 'mue, of course). Just great stuff :D

Excellent list, Truck! Lunar is really that good, huh? I'll have to keep that in mind. I agree (and have thought FOREVER) that the combat in Grandia 2 is probably the best I've ever seen in an RPG. Glad to see I'm not alone on that. I also agree that PSIII is a gem, it's a shame it got pigeonholed as a "blacksheep" as you say. I'm finishing up my first playthrough of Phantasy Star Gaiden today, and it's really made me want to replay PSIII in particular for whatever reason.

Ahh!!!!!!! I have Gaiden! Have to use a guide, but I've had it for a while and have never played it. That may be changing soon...

And thank you :D. PSIII introduced us to Wren, who is my favourite character in the entire series (I know the one in IV isn't the same one :() and again, the whole Generations thing and well as the spaceships, I loved it :D

The entire series is superb, but EB really is something special; great graphics (for its time, of course), wonderful soundtrack, incredibly-deep characters, SO MUCH GOING ON IN THE GAME, callbacks, a corrupt church plot (another reason I like Grandia II so much ;)), very fun combat and world-traversing and most of all, a wonderful story: it's a corrupt church, it's redemption (on multi-levels), it's good vs. evil and overarching all of it (including the playable epilogue), is a love story. I don't care for them, but after the faux love story that is the Silver Star, EB knocks it out of the park.

But there is indeed so much going on, especially for a 16-bit RPG; sidequests, sideplots, a gargantuan map, a glut of characters with their own backgrounds and motivations... just fantastic.

Silver Star is the game that has been remade 9 billion times, is more-beloved (don't know why) and has gotten more attention of the series, but Magical School and EB are infinitely better games, period.

Skies of Arcadia is the gold standard of the genre imo. It's really hard to not fall in love with Persona 4, as well.
I've wanted to try Skies of Arcadia for a long time but I need to wait until I have enough money for a Dreamcast copy or a remaster

I'll toss some of my underrated recc that you can still easily find depending on your resources.

1.) Growlanser series(Atlus-Sega)-ps2,psp,psx,ps3.

1653611056638.png

The design details are top notch. It's a real quality of art with good written characters and full of dramatic political theatre to boot. I really like how the plot scenario can change depending on what you do on a map. Lots of replayability.

2.) Phantasy star Universe series(Sega)-ps2,psp,pvita,ps3.

1653611734626.png

If you want an offfline offering of PSO, this is the best alternative. Design with a single player campain to boot. I think there;s still some private servers you can hook up to out there if you know where to look if you want some of the online content the game has to offer.

3.) White Knight Chronicles series(Level 5-Sony)ps3,psp,

1653612132502.png

It has a good offering of an offline MMO-think FF11,12,14 esque without the huge time sink req. But it does have a balancing issue when it comes to difficulty, so expect alot of random road bumps instead of a smooth ride.

4.) ShadowHeart series(Azuresoft) Psx-Ps2

1653612499089.png

it's one of my personal RPG of the year when I played it. The story, quirky characters, globe trotting is top notch stuff. The ost is a listen all on it's own, Here's a couple sample.

lots of easter egg to boot too if you're into american popculture. meeting mr miyagi(karate kid), fighting the Terminator, and Al-Capone(mafia soap opera) among other stuff is hilarious.

5.)Blue Dragon,Lost odyssey,Last story (Sakaguchi post-Square trilogy(Mistwalker)) Xbox series, wii, DS. PC

trilogy.png

I personally see them as spiritual spin-offs to square's chrono, & FF series.

6.) Front mission Series(Square) Psx,ps2,ps3,psp,3DS.

1653614348529.png

if you only have to play one entry from this series, don't sleep on number V. It's a stand-alone entry good enough on it's own, but writing and characters are top tier stuff. Moment to moment squad mech gameplay is tight as well too.

7.) Hack Series(Cyberconnect2) Ps2-ps3-psp,ps4,PC,switch

1653614845803.png

It's a bit wierd to grasp since the world building requires you to dive into other multi-media off-shoots, but the plot & production value is a feast of emotions. If you can stomach alot of the screaming, edgy character angst, it pays off well at the end with great character developments.

8.) Tensei Series(Atlus-Sega) ps2,,Switch,PC

1653615763448.png

Apocalyptic stuff. Lots of hype,pearl clutching,despair,& challenging moments. Iots of developer trolling moments too if you're not prepped for it.

9.) Voice of Cards Doulogy(Alim) switch,PC, ps4,

Untitled.png

Dungeons and dragons gameplay + Yoko Taro style of story telling. The ost is melancholic too.

10.) Odin Sphere, Muramasa, !3 Sentinal trilogy of games(Vanillaware-Sega-Atlus) Ps2-ps3-ps4-switch-psvita, wii

Untitled2.png

Some of the best 2d-sprite works and smoothest sequence I've seen. It's a real eye-candy and the cast of characters are quite well designed & lovable as well.

---------------

I'm quite the rpg-lover myself so if you ever need more recc or want more underrated stuff just hit me up. I'll be glad to help in anyway I can. :)

Attachments

• 1653616400725.png
    1653616400725.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 1653614790416.png
    1653614790416.png
    139.6 KB · Views: 0
Back