The Gaming Industry

BruceWayne911

Arm Break Fire (➡️⬅️⬅️ 👐)
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Yakuza Kiwami 2
There have always been rumours that console gaming is coming to a end. There are alot of people that believe the next generation of consoles will be the last. I just don't see how thats possible. The PS4 has 80 million+ thus far and Nintendo is doing great. I also hear people talking about the rise of the mobile market is affecting gaming. I believe hardcore gamers will always want there consoles and I dont see that changing anytime soon. What do you guys and gals think about the future of gaming?

In Japan mobile smartphone games have taken over. People even play smartphone games at home more than consoles. It’s no wonder many of the major Japanese developers out there, Sega, Square-Enix, Konami and more, have started prioritizing smartphone games.
In the past 5 years ive been in Japan, when I first got here I would see kids and adults playing 3DS and Vita. Now it’s just everyone on smartphones. I’ve never seen a soul play a Switch in public. Not even on a domestic flight.

Don’t get me wrong though, Japanese people still buy and play console games at home. I have plenty of my students who do, but the numbers are very low compared to pre-smartphone era.

Last edited:
When compared to PC gaming consoles offer a cheaper alternative into gaming, especially with lots of games being multi-platform now. Also most consoles now are multimedia centres so that adds to their selling point. We might see the end of digital media soon but not a console box that plays the games. For me personally I love having physical game discs. I worry that games end up as downloads only because you don't feel like you own it. Even to this day I love having my mega drive... nearly 30 years old, plugs in, plays and the games are all there, ready to go, no downloads no nothing.

Also with the rise in retro I think we will see more and more mini versions of old units which are consoles just on a smaller scale.

There's no reason to me why the two (mobile and home) can't live together. I think there will always be a market for home gaming. it is just how the media is delivered. I know google are looking at getting involved in the home games market which could be an interesting time if they do.

No ways of preseting gaming are always going to come about. Console gaming will always have a place and they aren't going anywhere.

As for Switches, I have seen kids play Switches on the train and on restaurants. For a while, they were rather hard to find as were PS4 VR units.

Back