The Dojo's Top 10 Games Of All Time (outside the Shenmue series)

Guppy

Level-Headed Mud Spider
So this will be an on-going top 10 games of all time from the members of the Dojo as a group, not an individual list.

Here's the game: I'll post a random list of 10 games below and another member will remove an entry and replace it with a game of his choosing along with his/her name beside the new entry (in BOLD Ctrl+B). Then the following member after will copy and paste the top 10 list with his own added game in it (updating it), and so on. The game list is NOT ranked by order, and all games from all genres and platforms are fair game.

RULES:
1. Provide a couple of sentences for why you are removing the game and why you are adding your game of choice, and remember to update the list.
2. Each member can only add ONE game to the list, and this member can add a game again once his/her name and choice have been bumped off from the list.
3. You are not allowed to put back the same game right away once it has been removed. Instead you'll have to put a different game, until someone else removes that different game off the list in order for your original choice to be eligible again.
4. NO Shenmue games allowed.

PS. Penalties for breaking the rules include Mittens2317 being a real Class A Cunt to you all year long and Peter banning you for a month unless you are able to record yourself reciting the lines "Do you know any places where sailors hang out around here?" in a perfect Irish accent and send it to his PM.

The point is to gauge the overall gaming tastes of the forum members as a whole besides the Shenmue games, and see the list evolve over time. Maybe some members can come up with games close in experience to Shenmue and even better games that most might have missed out.

And finally, let's start. Here's the random top 10 list:
GAME | PLATFORM | SELECTED BY
1. Supreme Commander | PC | ???
2. Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi | ARCADE | ???
3. Phantasmagoria | PC | ???
4. Bubble Bobble | ARCADE | ???
5. Gargoyles | MD | ???
6. NBA Jam | SNES | ???
7. Tiger Knight: Empire War | PC | ???
8. Spec Ops: The Line | PS3 | ???
9. Operation Darkness | Xbox360 | ???
10. Perfect Dark | N64 | ???

Now my submission as example:

2. Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi | ARCADE | ???
5. Gargoyles | MD | ???
6. The Last Blade | NG | Guppy

NBA Jam was one of the few sports games that I really got into as a kid, but it's still in a genre which I deem to be in the very bottom when it comes to videogames. So instead I am putting in The Last Blade, one of the best if not the best weapon based 2D fighting game ever made. When people look at this game, they will understand why some old-school gamers still regard sprite work above anything else seen in games these days.

Your turn.

Last edited:
Ooh, cool idea!

2. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion | PC | Jibby
5. Gargoyles | MD | ???

Whilst I do enjoy a variety of arcade games, shoot-em-ups/bullet hells like Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi have never really been a genre I've found particularly interesting. I'm replacing it with The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion as it was the first game of its kind I'd ever played. It was my introduction to massive open worlds and RPG elements of that scale in gaming. The first upgrade I ever did to my PC was adding a graphics card just so I could run it. Oblivion's quests are some of the most creative and engaging in the Elder Scrolls franchise. I still feel that the game holds up today (even more so when installing the countless of community mods that upgrade textures, lighting, shaders, UI, and add a whole host of other improvements) and even over 10 years later I still find myself returning to it on a regular basis.

5. Gargoyles | MD | ???
10. Half-Life 2 | PC | Jigen

While I respect Perfect Dark and the other games similar to it. I believe Half-Life 2 has pushed the FPS genre forward the most.

4. Super Puzzle Fighter II |ARCADE | Rusted Gold
5. Gargoyles | MD | ???

Removed Bubble Bobble, since Super Puzzle Fighter II, is like a million times better, and I think the list needs at least one arcade game to start it off. If you have never played Puzzle Fighter you really need to, just go to try it. Fun, easy to play, hard to master. Super rewarding when you can walk into an arcade and play for 15-30 minutes straight on one quarter. Just depends if the AI is set to one round or best of three rounds.

Also I hope I did this right

5. Gargoyles | MD | ???
8. Silent Hill 2 | PS2 | Oregon Pacifist

I removed Spec Ops: The Line just because it doesn't really belong anywhere near the top 10 games of all time in my opinion. I replaced it with one of the best survival horror games of all time: Silent Hill 2. The music is incredible, and the atmosphere and sound still hold up very well to this day. The original PS2 version is a technical masterpiece, taking advantage of specific hardware features of the PS2 such as real-time dynamic sound being created by the on-board sound chip. It's truly one of the best games ever made in my view. I could play this game forever.

5. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time | N64 | spud1897
I removed Gargolyes from the list. While it is a good game it doesn't carry the charm of some of the other similar games or significance. Zelda was an absolute masterpiece on the N64 and pushed the console to the limits before they did the 4mg upgrade pack. The story is solid and varied & the world engrossed me from the moment I turned it on. Nintendo at their best.

2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (SE) | PC | Mittens2317

Oblivion out, Skyrim in. Put simply, it’s a better game. Whilst the former may have had a slightly better story (one that was wasted, might I add!), the latter begged to be explored rather than just traversed. The characters were more memorable, armour more aesthetically pleasing, and when you factor in the modding community, this is a game that can be played indefinitely. Skyrim was everything I hoped Oblivion would be, and also came at the right time in my life. I love this game, and you should too.

^ So we already have someone bumping off a selection from another member. Cool. In this case, Jibby can play again, but he can't put back Oblivion this time around (only in his following turn after this one or if someone else does it).

1. Bratz: Forever Diamondz | PS2 | Revan
While I respect that Supreme Commander received 9/10's and awards on release, I must say, Bratz: Forever Diamondz surpasses it in every way. It is, quite simply, the magnum opus of masterpieces. It really pushed the boundaries and accomplished so much for video games: its free-roaming mechanics absolutely decimated Shenmue's obsessively detailed FREE exploration, and modelling for Blingz tokens to mummify your pets in accessories was so epiphantic I find it baffling that Panzer Dragoon Saga gets lauded as a swansong while this crown jewel remains lost in the shadows. What's more, Yasmin, Cloe, Sasha and Jade are some of the most well-written, multi-faceted, deeply compelling characters I have ever encountered in a video game, even rivaling the likes of Silent Hill 2's enigmatic Maria. Their story of being rich whores is so poignant and beautiful, it made me experience feelings I never conceived was possible. Simply beautiful.

1. Bratz: Forever Diamondz | PS2 | Revan
While I respect that Supreme Commander received 9/10's and awards on release, I must say, Bratz: Forever Diamondz surpasses it in every way. It is, quite simply, the magnum opus of masterpieces. It really pushed the boundaries and accomplished so much for video games: its free-roaming mechanics absolutely decimated Shenmue's obsessively detailed FREE exploration, and modelling for Blingz tokens to mummify your pets in accessories was so epiphantic I find it baffling that Panzer Dragoon Saga gets lauded as a swansong while this crown jewel remains lost in the shadows. What's more, Yasmin, Cloe, Sasha and Jade are some of the most well-written, multi-faceted, deeply compelling characters I have ever encountered in a video game, even rivaling the likes of Silent Hill 2's enigmatic Maria. Their story of being rich whores is so poignant and beautiful, it made me experience feelings I never conceived was possible. Simply beautiful.

How can it surpass it if it isn't an RTS? (I know its a joke btw)

Funny, of the original list, it was the only one I deemed worthy of an all-time top 10 list lol, because it is truly one of the 5 best RTSs ever made by far.

Anyways:

1. Total Annihilation| MULTI (PC) | Truck_1_0_1_

So, we punt the joke selection that got rid of the spiritual successor to this game, the game I still deem to be the best RTS ever (and my favourite game ever).

Since its our own tastes, makes sense to put in my favourite game, but the merit is there; excellent graphics for 1997 (still today, it looks fine), new systems and coding for the game allowed things such as physics, terrain and elevation to play a part in battles and building, plus the resource system allowed games to be as long or as short as necessary and not dependent on the resources of the map.

And the most important thing? Its better than StarCraft. Period.

And the most important thing? Its better than StarCraft. Period.

You certainly know your strategy games. Too bad most pay more attention to ones featured in e-sports where fast coordination takes precedence over depth.

Anyway, about the list, I'm surprised no one added a Yakuza title yet.

lol I thank you :).

Yeah, TA and SC are the only two I've come across (though admittedly, I haven't taken in enough C&C to know if this applies to that series as well) where speed of clicks is not dependent on the outcome of the game (of course though, you can't dawdle and you need to be active).

You can Macro much more in TA and SC, while Microing is not nearly as important; SC and AoE, for example, is quite dependent of speed of clicking and microing, with less control over your entire base and units; you can focus more on specific parts of the map, without worrying about your base back home, while in TA specifically, you need to have eyes everywhere at all times, thus setting up for the future is paramount. Its like Chess, while the others are like Checkers.

Unless of course, you're able to pull off a PeeWee/Flash rush and kill your opponent in 15 minutes, but people don't play TA like that anymore :)

And I WAS going to add Y5, but I got pretty miffed over the joke post, so I wanted to make things "right." lol

And I WAS going to add Y5, but I got pretty miffed over the joke post, so I wanted to make things "right." lol

Ha, I couldn't resist. I had to get one in there and use up one placeholder before people began adding their proper entries. :giggle:

If I can't control my urges again, I guess I'll do that "Yer nu wha I can find any sailors raun 'ere?" penalty.

lol that awesome! :LOL:

Honestly, had it been any other game than SC, I would've left it there ;)

Back