The 4 Chi You Men Leaders (Spoiler Alert)

That would be incredible lol.

Despite Iwao dying, I don't think that any of the 4 will "die," so to say; I can see exile or imprisonment (unlikely) or something happen, but not death.

Have a super strong feeling Ziming will die, hence one of my scenarios above.
Banishment from the Chi You Men for being undermined, perhaps? Lan Di shattered Dou Niu's dreams of becoming associated with the organisation after Ryo battered the latter on the rooftop. Didn't even bat an eye. Perhaps this is part of the ideology?

Yeah, I can see Ziming not making it to the end of the game. Xiuying has to be involved somehow, whether directly or indirectly. Ryo, Lan Di, and Ziming share a common thread - revenge - which intrigues me as to how Xiuying would react to Ziming's death. If he dies, he has essentially been destroyed by the path the other two are currently treading. Will this change Ryo's perspective? Will his intentions shift from revenge to cognitive closure? Will Xiuying break the Wude and exact revenge for her brother? Will Wang finally remember to keep some change in his pocket?

God, there's so much in store :eek:

Banishment from the Chi You Men for being undermined, perhaps? Lan Di shattered Dou Niu's dreams of becoming associated with the organisation after Ryo battered the latter on the rooftop. Didn't even bat an eye. Perhaps this is part of the ideology?

Yeah, I can see Ziming not making it to the end of the game. Xiuying has to be involved somehow, whether directly or indirectly. Ryo, Lan Di, and Ziming share a common thread - revenge - which intrigues me as to how Xiuying would react to Ziming's death. If he dies, he has essentially been destroyed by the path the other two are currently treading. Will this change Ryo's perspective? Will his intentions shift from revenge to cognitive closure? Will Xiuying break the Wude and exact revenge for her brother? Will Wang finally remember to keep some change in his pocket?

God, there's so much in store :eek:

LOL YES! :LOL:

I think that first scenario you proposed there in the second paragraph, could very well be what happens... You have an atoner, a victim and one who continues on the path, I'd think.

Its also possible we're overblowing Ziming's importance too lol. We'll see! :D

Last edited:
I thought in his bio it said that Chai was a member of the Chi You Men but was a very low ranking member?
I don't remember his bio, but I think he's with the Mad Angels and aspires to work for the Chi You Men...

"Me work for Lan-Di-sama? That's my dream!"

Out of all of the bosses I think the only ones that will appear in Shenmue 3 are Lan Di, Niao Sun, and Gentei probably briefly since we will be in the Great Wall area as evidence from the photo YSNet released last year.

Koutei and Tentei most likely won't appear until 4 or possibly 5. But I think they will get mentioned in 3. That's my prediction at least.

Edited my comment, my bad it looked like a mess. I'm on my phone right now lol

Last edited:
I wonder if Ziming is a member of the Southern Branch, or a right hand man to Niao Sun based on the prequel manga. Hopefully he’ll show up, too.
He is almost certainly part of the Southern branch.

Furthermore, his appearance alongside Niao Sun in the respective manga suggests he holds a significant role within that particular branch. Niao Sun, as we know, is the top dog in the Southern branch, so he isn't at that level, but the way in which she interacts with him, as well as how he is dressed, implies prestige. A right-hand man is very plausible.

http://shenmuedojo.net/new/extras/interview1114.html

Q: There are 4 Chiyoumen bosses. Among them, fans are aware of 3 characters : Lan Di, Niao Sun and Hong Xiuying's brother : Ziming. Could you provide some details about the last one?

(Commentary : I was not even done asking the question that Yu Suzuki wanted to answer, here is what he said) :

Yu Suzuki : Lan Di (Rantei-Souryu/藍帝(蒼龍)) is the east leader. His name also means Blue Dragon. About Niao Sun, she also has another name : η‚ŽεΈ (Entei), and rules over the South part and is represented by a Phoenix.

Now, regarding the last 2 bosses, no one has seen them yet. One of them isKoutei (昊帝) and leads the West part and is represented by a Tiger. The last one isGentei (ηŽ„εΈ), covers the North part and is represented by a Turtle.

Oh and, Ziming Hong is not one of the 4th leaders.

(Commentary : Here is the world exclusivity of this interview. You finally get to know that Ziming is not one of the bosses and you get to know the last 2 boss names! I saw them and know how they look like and Yu Suzuki has done a fantastic work. Please keep supporting Shenmue, it's really worth it!)

Just read this again. It was mentioned that no one has seen the 2 other bosses. However, wasn't it recently confirmed in an interview that Master Baihu is the Boss of the East, the Tiger?

Yu confirmed in 2014 (the Press Conference where he revealed the chapter cards... was that GDC?) or in an interview of the Kickstarter, that Ziming is NOT the West leader (which is the White Tiger) and Baihu would not be a leader if he was defeated by Ryo, which keeps it consistent with the other two not been seen.

Plus, the East is Blue/Azure Dragon and that's already Lan Di.

EDIT* Would help if I expanded the quoted message lol; that's the interview I was referring to.

YS: It's Niao Sun that I already mentioned. She represents the Phoenix, one of the four big bosses (Chi You Men). Lan Di keeps the East. Niao Sun is the South. The West is represented by someone called Byakko [ Japanese pronunciation of the White Tiger, also pronounced Baihu in Chinese ]. The person who represents the North has not been unveiled yet.

This is from a recent interview that shenmuemaster conducted. You can find it on their site.

Yes, we know that.

But THE Master Baihu, is NOT the leader; its not Ziming or Baihu, its someone else altogether.

Baihu is the 4th street fighter, that's all.

YS: It's Niao Sun that I already mentioned. She represents the Phoenix, one of the four big bosses (Chi You Men). Lan Di keeps the East. Niao Sun is the South. The West is represented by someone called Byakko [ Japanese pronunciation of the White Tiger, also pronounced Baihu in Chinese ]. The person who represents the North has not been unveiled yet.

This is from a recent interview that shenmuemaster conducted. You can find it on their site.
What I'm trying to point out is that from above cited interview it seems the western chi you leader IS Baihu. BYAKKO, I'm assuming is the Japanese for Baihu. However this view does seem odd because in previous interviews, yu said that we have never seen western leader.

So is this another baihu?

Maybe not! As in the recent shenmuemaster interview interview, yu says the northern leader has not been revealed, his mention of only the northern leader not being revealed could mean the western leader was in fact master baihu. Bear in mind, master baihu does wear a type of face mask, and seems to have his face disguised with white make up. So maybe his identity is a secret.

Last edited:
Unless Yu has changed things around...

It was debunked quite a bit on the old site, namely by Bluemue, Kiyuu, Shengoro, etc (I think lol), as they looked into the assets and codes and Baihu was simply the 4th street fighter, whereas the other characters were all under different nomenclature.

As I said, I wish I had access here at work! It was my absolute favourite string of threads from the old boards!

Damn, I was fooled by the new shenmuemaster quote and was convinced on mild suspicion of Baihu being 4th leader.

What i get for wanting to believe too strong haha.

Unless Yu has changed things around...

It was debunked quite a bit on the old site, namely by Bluemue, Kiyuu, Shengoro, etc (I think lol), as they looked into the assets and codes and Baihu was simply the 4th street fighter, whereas the other characters were all under different nomenclature.

As I said, I wish I had access here at work! It was my absolute favourite string of threads from the old boards!
Yeah, love the discussions about this kind of stuff. Really enjoy the lore behind the whole saga.

In addition, I wish more information is dropped in relation to the sega Saturn version.

Essentially Baihu is simply the Chinese name for White Tiger. There is a chinese name for Vermilion Phoenix (which Niao Sun represents) and a Chinese name for Azure Dragon (which Lan Di represents). That's all it is. A chinese name for the guardian beast that the western leader represents (the White Tiger). Not the Master Baihu that we defeated in Shenmue 2. Yu has even stated that we have not yet seen the other 2 leaders.

Back