Stuff that reminds you of Shenmue...

Living in Scotland there's not much of my day to day life that reminds me of Shenmue but my neighbourhood has a few footpaths with these old fashioned block walls.

DqjuBYK.jpg

UvqFaw8.jpg

I pass by them every day whilst walking my dog and it never fails to make me think about Sakuragaoka, it got me wondering if anyone else has anything (no matter how abstract that act as a memory cue and causes them to think about some aspect of the game.

Last edited:
Let's get the easiest one out of the way first:

Feeding my cat. Especially cuz she's grey. Took her in as adult from rescue though, so no renaming into Shenmue reference haha.

Good thread, will have a think.

Last edited:
Since I'm currently super obsessed with Shenmue and I'm playing the games on repeat and listening to the music all the time, I can make almost anything remind me of Shenmue. When I go into the 7 Eleven or the Petro-Canada I think of them as watered-down Tomato convenience stores, and downtown makes me think of Hong Kong and Kowloon, especially if I'm in Chinatown. The T and T and the small area with Asian businesses just screams Shenmue to me. My jacket even reminds me of Ryo, even though mine is black and doesn't have a design, though I think it's from the 80s.

When I'm reminded of Shenmue its usually not any specific object, but just an intangible feeling that reminds me of the atmosphere of the games. That being said, whenever I see a lot of the retro 80s fashion that is popular right now it brings me back to Shenmue. Ryo would look like a total hypebeast in 2019.

I always felt that the streets where I used to live gave off Dobuita-esque vibe:
OruYsaX.jpg

There was also a building that felt exactly like the inside of a Kowloon building with a bunch of cafes, shops and other miscellaneous businesses all crammed into tiny spaces next to each other. Don't have any pictures of that though unfortunately. I'll be sure to take some next time I'm in the area.

EDIT: Google Maps to the rescue:
bi2luAX.jpg

Last edited:
There's a state park not too far from me with cool streams and waterfall and rocky formations, then another cool park elswhere fairly near by with caves. Need to visit them both again sometime soon!

A couple of years ago at the Cebit fair in Hannover there was an area called "Golden Mall" with a large red and gold banner over the entrance. Unfortunately I lost the photo I took.

Also near my area a supermarket once had some capsule toy machines and one of them had Sonic keychain figures.
Buying a couple of these felt oh so very Shenmue.

Jlp1YkF.jpg

My thoughts while I walked down this easily 100 meter long, empty and totally silent hallway: Is this a Kowloon building?
And the picture only shows maybe half of this crazy hallway, as there were solid doors sectioning it off. Really eerie.

Jlp1YkF.jpg

My thoughts while I walked down this easily 100 meter long, empty and totally silent hallway: Is this a Kowloon building?
And the picture only shows maybe half of this crazy hallway, as there were solid doors sectioning it off. Really eerie.
That looks creepy as hell, definitely a GTFO fast type building.

Gonna repurpose this thread for anything that reminds you of Shenmue. Seems slightly more fitting than hijacking the random Shenmue thoughts with stuff that is only tenuously related.

Was watching Samurai Gourmet on Netflix and a lot of the OST has a Shenmue-ish vibe, unfortunately the soundtrack isn't available so I can only provide a small sample from a scene.

I reckon many characters in early '50s til 90s chinese and japanese movies fitting perfectly in Shenmue world or directly appearing on it. If anyone is interested not aim exclusively for martial arts flicks but also for dramas (specially street kids Oliver Twist style chinese movies and yakuza japanese movies).
Areas such as Yokosuka with Dobuita appears many times in different decades, with the harbor and sailors included. Same for Wan Chai and Kowloon, being BloodSport the most wide recognized example because the specially gritty mood pouring out the walled city. I've seen too many to recall correctly but vividly remember:
- A movie with main ruthless character seeking revenge. He casually met with a little girl neighbor at a park and he shows kind and nice to her, like a big brother and she called him onichan.
- The Nagai Industries kind of building complete with fauna appears a lot in '80s japanese thrillers.
- I swear to god I saw Guizhang and Yamigichi San (caring for plants too) in another movies I cant remember right now as I consumed it long ago compulsively along Bruce Lee clones movies. I' ll try to find some and edit this to share.
Edit (some stuff):
th.jpg
images.jpeg
t014b774aeb6856f048.jpg
p193056_i_h9_aa.jpg
5-child-stars-in-China-who-made-it-in-show-business-from-the-girl-who-039sang039-at-the-2008-B...jpg

Last edited:
More "Hey, that's very Shenmue" moments taken from my videotrash crypt.
KarateBaka.png
This is from Karate baka ichidai (1977). Chiba befriends with a gang of kid thieves and help them to -ehem- obtain money in exchange for shelter at their hideout. Oh, the kids previously had his plane money stolen and he tracked'em down.
He really engages with them and so, he stops his revenge path. But something bad happens and so, revenge resets. Angry Chiba, oh buoy.

Kurenai Sanshiro (Judo Boy)
Tatsunoko Production anime adaptation which involves no judo despite west titles, but jujutsu.
Sanshiro is the heir of a jujutsu dojo. One day his father is murdered and that sets our hero (with orphan sidekick) in a chase for his father murderer.
jb.png

Maybe OP want to arrange submited pics in 1st post? Sorting by hidden categories for characters, landscape, misc will improve this thread navigation imho.

Back