Steam: Blue Halo/Shadow Glitches

Favourite title
Shenmue
Hopefully it's all right if I ask for some tech support here! I expect a better response than on the Steam forums!

So my old GPU died (boo) and I picked up a newer, better one (yay). The problem is that my beloved Shenmue I and II doesn't seem to like it! There's some issue with shadows and/or transparent items or something that makes them all blue-green!

I thought maybe my install had just gotten quirky, but even unmodded and with a fresh, clean install, the issue is still present. Anyone encountered this? Any ideas? As far as I can tell, the AMD software doesn't have any overrides turned on.

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8GHz Processor
AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT 12GB GDDR6
64GB DDR4

The only thing that's changed since I last played was jumping from an RX 5700 XT to the 6700 XT.

Shenmue I 8_21_2022 8_05_56 PM.png

i actually like the effect :D

try turning off bloom?

Weird one! It's drastic, but if all else fails, uninstalling your GPU drivers with DDU and then reinstalling them might help.

Graphics boosters as the one provided by AMD may get in conflict with games even with no overrides enabled. Lacking proper technical vocabulary I'll just say it seems to mess in second plane not matter what, with some games.
Try to completely disable it or uninstall it fully, just use the graphics options given by the game. If you want to reinstall it later, you'll have no problem getting it from AMD homepage. And probably less heavy than the gpu driver fix proposed, which I get you updated to last and could mean rolling back to previous updates. I hope it works, good luck.

Thanks for the responses and the help!

i actually like the effect :D

try turning off bloom?
I had wondered if it was something weird to do with bloom, but alas, not so!

But it is actually somewhat neat in places! The downside is that it's less-so in others. You can't tell well from the screenshot I posted, but it also gives Ryo a blue-green haze around his head, and it looks like Megumi has a strange visor on!

Graphics boosters as the one provided by AMD may get in conflict with games even with no overrides enabled. Lacking proper technical vocabulary I'll just say it seems to mess in second plane not matter what, with some games.
Try to completely disable it or uninstall it fully, just use the graphics options given by the game. If you want to reinstall it later, you'll have no problem getting it from AMD homepage. And probably less heavy than the gpu driver fix proposed, which I get you updated to last and could mean rolling back to previous updates. I hope it works, good luck.
As far as I could tell, I had all boosts turned off in AMD Adrenaline.

Weird one! It's drastic, but if all else fails, uninstalling your GPU drivers with DDU and then reinstalling them might help.
This did the trick! As of right now, I'm not getting the weird blue-green shadows just running off the basic 6700 XT driver without Adrenaline installed. Ultimately, I'm going to have to see if I can't get it working with the software installed, but at least the problem has been isolated!

Edit: Not sure what I was doing six months ago, but the basic AMD driver still brings up the blue shadows.

Shenmue I 8_21_2022 8_07_27 PM.png

Last edited:
I've done some Googling (and some, er, Ducking and Braving...?) and this topic pops right up first thing in Google (and early on in the others) when looking up Shenmue and RX 6700 XT, so I'll keep it update on the odd chance another Shenmue fan with my set up comes across it.

First big note: this does not seem to happen with Shenmue II, at least based off wandering around Hong Kong for several minutes. I'm guessing that, like the skybox issue, they better optimized or standardized things in II.

Now as best as I can tell, it has something to do with AMD Adrenaline and/or some settings within, possibly combined with the RX 6700 XT. Reinstalling Adrenaline brought back the issue. By default, it turned on Radeon Anti-Lag, Image Sharpening, and Surface Format Optimization, but even with everything turned off, the blue shadows remain.

Next time I have the chance, I'll pop in my old 5700 XT just to see if the issue is still there, as perhaps it has something to do with a newer version of Adrenaline.

AMD Adrenaline and/or some settings within, possibly combined with the RX 6700 XT. Reinstalling Adrenaline brought back the issue. By default, it turned on Radeon Anti-Lag, Image Sharpening, and Surface Format Optimization, but even with everything turned off, the blue shadows remain.
The far last time I used AMD booster circa 2016 it already glitched many games to the point I joked about it as the AMD glitcher software.
Try searching AMD Adrenaline + registry settings, so you can check which hidden flags are conflicting with S1 to disable them there at registry level.
Because your glitch implies alpha channel wrong in textures its almost sure you can aim to texture filtering options as the culprit.

Apparently this thread was discovered on Reddit when someone else was having the same issue as me, and it turns out they have the same GPU that I do (6700 XT), so I wanted to give an update.

I previously thought that the basic 6700 XT driver worked fine as long as Adrenaline wasn't installed, but on my most recent test, that doesn't seem to be the case. (I'm not sure why I thought it fixed it, but there was a lot going on in my life five months ago!) The only way I'm able to use the 6700 XT and not have blue shadows is to use the Windows basic display adapter driver, but that leaves me with single-digit frame rates and a game that chugs through mud.

However, my old 5700 XT does NOT have the blue shadows, even with the AMD drivers installed, so the problem seems explicit to the 6700 XT.

Follow-up: the solution has been out there for months! Someone on the Steam forums figured it out, and in my searches I simply failed to come across it! I played for a few minutes and it seems to work, and although I don't recall the issue existing in Shenmue 2 in the first place, I haven't really tested it much.

This comes from Cloud3ffect:

"I found a way to fix it. You can use DXVK to translate the DX11 calls to Vulkan and the green aura disappears. I played this way for a little bit and it seems to work well.

Here's the link to what you'll need:

https://github.com/Sporif/dxvk-async/releases/tag/1.10.3

Extract it and grab the d3d11.dll and dxgi.dll files from the x64 folder and place them in these folders:

Shenmue 1 -> ...\SMLaunch\sm1

Shenmue 2 -> ...\SMLaunch\sm2

You might get slight stuttering when it's building the shader cache as you play. I didn't notice any though.

It's a nice way around it without having to wait for a fix or downgrading your drivers."

i have a ryzen 5600 xt and radeon 3600, i have the same bug, and the solution didn't work for me, the game just crashes and don't open

Back