SPOILERS Shenmue The Animation Episode 3: Yin - Yang Thread

The Chen-underworld link makes me think Iwao Hazuki is maybe not quite the innocent guy I thought he was. May have blood on his hands.

The pacing is insanely quick, we must only have one episode left before Ryo heads off to Hong Kong.

I finished the episode now.

Nice to see Bailu Village again, Mingyang Lei said to Shenhua that a nearby village is holding a night festival soon. Maybe we will see Miao Village or other village that was cut out of the games, this would be really interesting.

Interesting episode, the anime expanding the relation of Guizhang with Master Chen and also about the organization. Maybe something will happen and Master Chen will let Guizhang call him father again and the relation will get better.

Really nice to see the anime expanding the story showing Chiyou.

Was so interesting to see that Lan Di interrogation scene in mandarin, i even thought that Lan Di was already in China but in the ending of the episode we saw Lan Di leaving Japan. Xuhe Hall is probably the place where the Chi You Men stay in Yokosuka, i understood this way, maybe we will see more scenes in mandarin in the anime.

Maybe we will see more scenes with Yuanda Zhu in the anime, Lan Di talking with Yuanda Zhu, maybe the anime will expand more things about Yuanda Zhu and i think this will be really interesting.

No Megumi and the kitten in this episode, i still have hope that we will see at least one scene with Megumi and the kitten in the anime.

Shozo Mizuki did not appear in this episode, i feel that Shozo Mizuki will appear in the next episode, one of my favorite characters in Shenmue.

In my opinion the pace is fine but if the anime was with 24 episodes i think it would be much better because more time for longer fights, character development, expanding more the plot like the story with Mark and his brother, more slice of life moments and much more, but like i said in other posts i like the route with 13 episodes as well, the anime team is doing a beautiful job in adapting the Shenmue world in anime form.

The first game have many interesting characters like Guizhang, Master Chen, Shozo Mizuki, Mark, Tom and many others, the anime is a nice opportunity to expand more these characters like what happened to Yamagishi-san in the second episode. I know the anime will be 13 episodes but the Yokosuka arc of the story have many interesting things as well.

The plot advanced a lot in this episode. i don't think episode 4 will be the last episode in Yokosuka and I really hope that doesn't happen, it will feel really rushed in my opinion to end this part of the story in episode 4.

I feel that episode 5 or 6 will be the last episode in this part of the story, i will prefer episode 5 or 6 to be the last episode in the Yokosuka arc, i feel that this way it will be better and more emotional.

I need to see the episode more times but i enjoy the episode, i'm looking forward to the next.

Last edited:
Theres potential spoilers on the rotten tomatoes website up to episode 5 synopsis. There's at least two more episodes before Shenmue 2.
Next episode is earning money for Hong Kong, probably ending in the travel fraud. 5 is centered around Nozomi being kidnapped, and Ryu blackmailed to fight the Chens, so i'd assume that'll take us up to the Ferry

I'm kinda hoping for this to be honest! I am really, really excited to see what they do with Shenmue II.
2 i reckon - next one will set up the forkilft job, the earning money for the HK ticket, possibly scenes with the homeless guy and the warehouse fight with the sailors/mad angels

episode 5 the nozomi kidnapping , 70 man fight and rescue, then goodbyes and on to Hong Kong !

I've liked the fight scenes so far but I really hope they splurged the budget to do the big harbour fight justice :D

All very interesting points here...Xiuying never seems to outright claim she has any link of importance to Zhu. Maybe the Chens have bought something off of her in the past through the temple or something? Who knows...or maybe they just used to be based around there.

Ryo didn't found the white leaf in this episode but it is possible that maybe Ryo will find the white leaf in another way in the anime, also nothing about the mysterious scroll yet, i always felt that the mysterious scroll is important, that probably Ryo will learn an important move with the master that did the scroll, we can even see a tiger in the scroll.

I forgot to talk about Chai, was nice to see Guizhang fighting Chai. It is nice seeing Chai in the shadows always waiting for the right moment to attack. Probably Chai will fight more times with Ryo and i don't have problems with this. Also in one part of the episode we can see that Goro was hiding, Goro probably followed Ryo.

I really feel that in the next episode we will see Shenhua in a nearby Village seeing the night festival, would be really nice if this village is Miao village or other village that was cut out of the games. Maybe we will even see Yunshen Yuan in Bailu Village talking with Shenhua, would be nice to expand Yunshen Yuan in the anime.

I agree, the Shenmue anime is a joy to behold, it is like a breath of fresh air for this wonderful story and franchise.

Did anyone else think of this:

When the CG Dragon and Pheonix Mirrors were described while talking with Master Chen? Just the clouds.

I'm kinda hoping for this to be honest! I am really, really excited to see what they do with Shenmue II.
Likewise. I just hope we get something at the end to tell us something new about the story, but I suspect it'll end as it did in the game.

Ryo didn't found the white leaf in this episode but it is possible that maybe Ryo will find the white leaf in another way in the anime, also nothing about the mysterious scroll yet, i always felt that the mysterious scroll is important, that probably Ryo will learn an important move with the master that did the scroll, we can even see a tiger in the scroll.

I forgot to talk about Chai, was nice to see Guizhang fighting Chai. It is nice seeing Chai in the shadows always waiting for the right moment to attack. Probably Chai will fight more times with Ryo and i don't have problems with this. Also in one part of the episode we can see that Goro was hiding, Goro probably followed Ryo.
Oh damn, I didn’t even think about the White Leaf! Makes you wonder if it will ultimately have any importance at all if the anime has seemingly skipped it.

Also was that Goro hiding?! I couldn’t quite tell but just assumed it was Chai?

Oh damn, I didn’t even think about the White Leaf! Makes you wonder if it will ultimately have any importance at all if the anime has seemingly skipped it.
I think there's going to be a bunch of items that aren't referenced or have callbacks. I think in "game form" we always have the reminder of those items by going through inventory, and maybe they're things that can be cut without having any major impact on the story.

I think it was Goro! I had the same thought, I assumed it was Chai on my first viewing, but the character was wearing pants and their hand wasn't..."Chai-like".

Last edited:
In the sub they translate the Chen password as common allies instead of Comrades, anyone watched the dub and can confirm which they use? Comrades ftw!
Yeah in the sub the password is a bit fucked: "Father Sky. Nine Dragons. Mother Earth. Common Allies."

Father Sky? Common Allies?! Pish! I will personally edit the subs for that episode for future watches, lmao.

The dub gets it (sort of) right though:

I don’t remember in Shenmue II but the white leaf is in the inventory in Shenmue III, maybe the white leaf will appear in a different way in the anime, or maybe the white leaf will only be important in the video game version of the story, i really hope the white leaf appear in the anime, it is one of the interesting mysteries in the Shenmue story.

1645403093652.png

To me this character is not Chai because of the clothes, looks like Goro’s clothes in my opinion.

IMG_4302.jpg

Back