(SPOILERS) 'Shenmue: The Animation - Chapter 1: Yokosuka' Feature Film & How To Make It (With Pictures!)

Favourite title
Shenmue IIx
So Episode 5 (Equals) of Shenmue: The Animation is finally out, and with that, I've been able to compile all previous episodes with the latest one to create a feature length movie of the first chapter in the story. I call it 'Shenmue: The Animation - Chapter 1: Yokosuka,' and I've changed little to nothing content wise. Obviously, I cannot post the movie, so I'll breakdown exactly what I did so that you can create your own copy from the comfort of your own home:

- The movie starts the exact moment the screen turns to black after the 'Adult Swim / Crunchyroll' intro ends.
vlc_L5oOIbKzTn.png
Once this screen turns to black, the movie starts.

- From that point on, the episode continues as usual up until the point where the screen turns to black and the kanji for "Thunderclap" appears on screen. Once the screen turns to black after a close-up shot of Ryo, the screen stays black until it suddenly cuts to the first scene after the opening credits with an establishing shot of Bailu Village while the final note of the song in the first episode plays.

I cut the nightmare at the very start of the second episode because it didn't transition well from the first, and it was sort of a recap of Iwao's murder.

- The episode proceeds as normal and cuts to black right before the credits, and lines up perfectly with the very beginning of Episode 3, which starts with a super-imposed message telling the viewer that it's back in Bailu Village.

The scene closes with the Chens looking over their warehouse in the shadows.

- Once the scene with Shenhua ends, it fades immediately to the scene right after the opening credits: Terry and his crew sitting in the MJQ Jazz Bar.

- The episode ends with another cross-fade, this time ending with a shot of the Hong Kong skyline followed by Ryo's second dream, which besides the fact that it transitioned well from the previous episode, I felt was necessary to be kept in.

- As the scene where Ryo wakes up from his dream is about to cut to the opening credits, it cuts to right after them at the travel agency, with a shot of the various flyers.

Just when the opening credits are about to start, the scene makes a clean cut to right after the credits.

- Near the end of the episode, when Terry stares out into the warehouse he's sitting it, the scene cuts straight to the start of the fifth and final episode of this chapter (after the opening credits), as not to break the flow of the scene. There's also a very tricky change in terms of the music: I took a sample from a little later in Episode 4 and played that as the scene cut to Episode 5, while also matching it to the beat of the current song playing as not to disrupt the flow of the music. Then, as it cut to Terry's goons talking to each other, the music slowly fades out.

A fast paced cut to the start of the final episode while the music is tuned to smooth the transition.

- Finally, the film ends with the credits included. I eventually want to make a custom credits sequence listing every person that's worked on all five episodes, but for now, you can just keep the latest credits. Once they end, the screen immediately cuts to the 'Adult Swim / Crunchyroll' logo that I left out earlier, and with that, the film ends.

The film ends with the company titles.

I've tried to explain every detail of this fan cut as vividly as I possibly could so that people could replicate it on their own, but words never do it justice. I'm not certain if I'm allowed to use clips, but until I find out, this will be the only current way to recreate the film. Thanks for reading, I hope you all liked it!

Back