SPOILERS Shenmue Anime Reviews

Crunchyroll has exactly zero to gain and everything to lose by region blocking their own Shenmue "original" series behind a cable wall that literally nobody uses anymore in the territory of its largest fanbase. If you didn't stay up till 12:30AM EST on the "5th", I couldn't tell you how to legally review this show today.

Crunchyroll has exactly zero to gain and everything to lose by region blocking their own Shenmue "original" series behind a cable wall that literally nobody uses anymore in the territory of its largest fanbase. If you didn't stay up till 12:30AM EST on the "5th", I couldn't tell you how to legally review this show today.
I’m sorry but I’m not entirely certain what you mean by this. If you watch it on Cartoon Network, then you have to watch it at its premiere time because it’s cable. But if you watch it on Crunchyroll you can view it at any point unless I’m missing something?

Here are some reviews!

Last edited:
The next day, Toonami posted the English Ep 1 on their site for free until April. I like it. Then I bought Crunchyroll Premium to watch it in Japanese. I like it too.

They (IGN) just reviewed episode one, I think.

Verdict​

Shenmue: The Animation’s inaugural episode makes a solid first first impression, even for viewers who aren’t familiar with the Shenmue lore or characters. Though there’s a lot of ground to cover and, despite a few missteps, this installment does a great job of setting the scene, introducing the people that matter, and prepping them for an action-packed revenge epic.

Here's the first review I could find of episode 2. Another positive one :)

Here's the first review I could find of episode 2. Another positive one :)

I ran down to the rating. 8/10 is impressive! We're off to a solid start :)

I strongly disagree on the suggestion of giving Ryo a "quirky foible or goofy obsession" to make him more interesting...that's like the most low bar anime shit I've ever heard. Show other sides of Ryo by giving him interesting interactions with supporting characters...not by cranking the shitty anime trope dial.

The Gamerant one I think I can see where they're coming from, but they kinda struggle to make a convincing argument for it. I think it's fine to show some prolonged investigation, as long as Ryo's interacting with characters along the way, which he does.

Back