Sony buys Bungie for $3.6 billion

Favourite title
Shenmue
PSN
Jrockstr
They're expected to still be running as a seprate entity within Sony. Their games are still going to be multiplatform "unequivocally" according to Sony CEO. The same Sony CEO said more acquisitions from them are on the way. I just don't understand why: what good or purpose does this do for Sony? I find this purchase a incredibly strange one though I haven't been in the Bungie loop since Halo 2. Thoughts on this purchase?

I really don't see how Bungie is worth this much. Is Destiny 2 really doing that well with microtransactions?

Not saying my gaming preferences determine whether a company is good or not, but I gave up pretty quickly on the original Destiny. Played Destiny 2 when it was free and, despite the great mechanics, gave up on that after 20 minutes. I just don't see how they can be a company worth that much. Better yet, I can't see why Sony wouldn't use that money to build/buy 2/3 other studios who can fill the Western RPG and FPS genre's they are missing out on.

Bungie literally has one known IP.

So far this buyout wars have not yealed any results on the MS side so I just have to say whatever. I am not impressed and I am not fan.

I would be way more happier if Sony and Micrsoft would spend their Millions or more in supporting existing studios to make games.

The internet love these stories though. I bet it is very hot topic on youtube and twitter. Have not checked it out yet and I won't.
This generation is really a mess so far. It started out very boring and it is going to be boring. Instead of making games the platform holder are just buying out other companies without a real gain for us consumers.

So far this buyout wars have not yealed any results on the MS side so I just have to say whatever. I am not impressed and I am not fan.

I would be way more happier if Sony and Micrsoft would spend their Millions or more in supporting existing studios to make games.

The internet love these stories though. I bet it is very hot topic on youtube and twitter. Have not checked it out yet and I won't.
This generation is really a mess so far. It started out very boring and it is going to be boring. Instead of making games the platform holder are just buying out other companies without a real gain for us consumers.
My issue with the last generation, and this one so far, is that there are very few good games. Especially games in the middle of the budget scale.

Remember a game like Tenchu? No one seems to bother with such games anymore aside from small, indi studios. That leads to games like Aragami; decent game, but severely lacking in quality.

Conflict series? The only third person co-op series we have are the Ubisoft games which are generic open world games.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Splinter Cell, a good wrestling game, a good football game etc. All of the industry is just super focused on high revenue blockbusters. Would have loved for Sony to use that cash to build up existing and create new studios.

That is so true. Gaming has become too predictable. Either every game is 100 hour plus open world game that is too long to finish or it is 2dish indy game.

smaller block buster with a shorter play are really dead since the last gen. And there also so many good franchises that are dormant now. It is time to bring them back.

With Bungie remaining third party and independent, I was racking my head as to why Sony would even bother spending billions to "buy" Bungie. Who the hell spends BILLIONS to have no benefit? Then it hit me.... With both Microsoft and Tencent buying out numerous publishers and studios... Sony "buying" Bungie is an insurance policy. It's a damned expensive one at that. Basically, they want to ensure that Destiny and other games Bungie could make would remain on Playstation platforms. Secondly, it seems this deal veers well out of the realm of gaming and into TV, movies, comics, etc and I'm betting Sony is planning on making their money back in ways with Bungie IPs that are in other entertainment veins.

It does seem like a bit of an odd acquisition at first glance. Definitely not on the same level as Microsoft buying Bethesda, let alone Activision.

Seems like Sony trying to say „We‘re buying studios as well.“

MS now own CoD and WoW, Sony bought Halo and Destiny. That pretty much sums it up.

With Bungie remaining third party and independent, I was racking my head as to why Sony would even bother spending billions to "buy" Bungie. Who the hell spends BILLIONS to have no benefit? Then it hit me.... With both Microsoft and Tencent buying out numerous publishers and studios... Sony "buying" Bungie is an insurance policy. It's a damned expensive one at that. Basically, they want to ensure that Destiny and other games Bungie could make would remain on Playstation platforms. Secondly, it seems this deal veers well out of the realm of gaming and into TV, movies, comics, etc and I'm betting Sony is planning on making their money back in ways with Bungie IPs that are in other entertainment veins.
In case of MS buying Bungie, Destiny 2 would continue in PS. They wouldnt take it away from that console, it's a released game years ago.

What you're saying makes sense only with new upcoming games from Bungie (new ips that we dont know if they exist, I saw they have prepared content for Destiny 2 till 2024) and which they said they want to keep it multiplat anyway, but lets suppose they dont. Sony is spending half Bethesda only to maintain a future IP of Bungie? idk, I enjoyed 50 hours of Destiny 2's online, but the story seemed trashy to me. And Destiny probably the same, because they had to release a new game trying to make it better. You're not buying the Bungie that just released Halo series. You're buying the Bungie that release Destiny, failed and had to released Destiny 2 and then had to make it free to play.

So basically they are buying a future Bungie a game (a studio that did great games only 20-15 years ago) that will be release 2025 beyond? HALF BETHESDA for that? I just dont get it. If you spend 100-200-300 millions, ok, but 3.6 BILLIONS, and still multiplat?

If you wanted to make movies and series and so on (does anyone wants that? i mean, story of Destiny doesnt seem outstanding, it isnt Halo), you could make some deal I suppose. You dont have to buy it.

This movement it's so weird. I think they just said "hell boys, we gotta do something and we gotta do it FAST" and they just made the deal in 2 days. Bungie asked for a lot of money and impossible conditions so Sony rejects it, but they actually accepted lol.

There's rumors that both Sony and MS have more acquisitions to announce.

How would you guys feel if SEGA were bought by Sony?

I wouldn't be against it as it would guarantee if Shenmue were to continue, it would be on Playstation. Sega has a lot of great IPs that have been dormant and only recently revived like Shenmue, Streets of Rage and 16bit Sonic. There are more that could use the same treatment like Comix Zone, Ecco and Jet Set Radio.

Time will tell what happens but I honestly don't expect Sony to buy Sega. That said... in today's world of what feels like fiction... anything is possible.

It depends.

Users wins something? Exclusivity of games and non pc releases? Thats something that favours Sony, not the users.

Sega wins something? Well, maybe a more stable economic but I dont seem them too bad with that, this isnt like mid 2000's I guess.

Will the games be better? Idk, they are pretty alright. Will Sony put more money into them? Will that be proofitable? Idk.

So no, I dont want that. Actually I wouldnt want it to be bought by MS either (tho it has benefits like pc releases and gamepass) but I see Sega like a big colossus (still) and shouldnt be bought for anybody which was rival. Could be Tencent or some big asiatic stuff, but wouldnt be happy if they are just another studio acquired by, Idk, Nintendo. Should be more than that. Still has a name and reputation.

I'd be against it. I kinda like the direction the current president, young Satomi has been taking Sega and Atlus for the last four or five years. I also think that staying independent gives Sega and Atlus more creative freedom.

Being bought up by a larger corporation doesn't always lead to companies making better games. See Bioware, see Rareware and others

So no, absolutely not.

Back