Sonic the Hedgehog thread

I don’t even know if I have a top 5…to be honest, both the Adventure games are kind of tied for number 1 for me for different reasons. 2 definitely feels far more polished, better story and characterization, but 1 has a lot of stuff that made the experience feel more fleshed out what with all the people to talk to and characters each having their own stories.

After that it gets real murky. I played Unleashed on both Wii and 360, both have their own strengths but I suppose in the end they’re the same game. Kinda just wish for fewer werehog levels overall, but the ideal would be the Wii version of the werehog levels and balance mixed with the 360 day stages.

Still have a soft spot for Secret Rings. I recall being one of few to genuinely like it…also remember being jealous we got a spin-off instead of 06 but now I see the Wii got the better deal lol. Thing is, it’s been some time and I don’t know if it would hold up so well…only recently tried both Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog again and neither were anywhere near as fun as I remembered.

For fourth place, maybe Sonic Advance 2? Never got the chaos emeralds, even an easier 2D game is still really tough for me, but it was real solid and I’m nostalgic for that chonky ost.

Sonic 3 I guess might be 5th if only because it’s the only one out of the classics I’ve finished, and it’s really only half a game tbh. Really good, but just too hard for me.

I might have mentioned Lost World, seemed promising at first but I’ve since seen the rest of it streamed and unfortunately it looks like the good ideas were wasted with really jank execution.

1 - Sonic 3&K
2 - Sonic Mania
3 - Sonic 2
4 - Sonic Adventure 2
5 - Sonic 1

I haven't played enough of the GBA games or Sonic CD to be able to rank them. Also, the Master System version of Sonic 1 is pretty solid as well. I'm pretty firmly in the 2D Sonic > 3D Sonic camp, but that doesn't mean that I think they shouldn't make 3D games. I just think they haven't quite figured out how to make it work.

Whats you guys top 5 Sonic games? Where does Sonic Adventure rank?
Adventure 1 (NOT DX) is definitely in my top 5. I don't know about ranking them, but I really like SA1, the original trilogy, Unleashed, Generations, etc. I even have a softspot for Sonic R and, lord forgive me, Sonic 4. 4 is crap, but something about those levels and homing attack in 2D is just fun.

My tastes are pretty weird overall, really. I really, REALLY like Sonic 1 even though it's not held in very high regard these days compared to 2 and 3&K, and while Mania is a fantastic game... I don't know, I'm just not as hot on it as everyone else.

I love @Hermit's shoutout for Shuffle btw. :ROFLMAO: I don't care what anyone says about the cheating AI, it kicks the ever loving SHIT out of the Mario Party games imo.

EDIT: also Bruce, you can't just ask that and then not post your own. 🧐🔎

Last edited:
Adventure 1 (NOT DX) is definitely in my top 5. I don't know about ranking them, but I really like SA1, the original trilogy, Unleashed, Generations, etc. I even have a softspot for Sonic R and, lord forgive me, Sonic 4. 4 is crap, but something about those levels and homing attack in 2D is just fun.

My tastes are pretty weird overall, really. I really, REALLY like Sonic 1 even though it's not held in very high regard these days compared to 2 and 3&K, and while Mania is a fantastic game... I don't know, I'm just not as hot on it as everyone else.

I love @Hermit's shoutout for Shuffle btw. :ROFLMAO: I don't care what anyone says about the cheating AI, it kicks the ever loving SHIT out of the Mario Party games imo.

@Dietsoap TBH I'm not really big on the Sonic games. Sonic definitely has some great games but imo he also has some not so great. Here my list though just to get something posted. I'd personally like to see a Sonic game thats predicated on speed. Whenever there's alot of platforming it kinda takes away from the speed element of Sonic. I know Sonic is a platformer game but I think theres room for balls to the walls speed and combo levels.

Sonic Adventure
Sonic 2&K
Sonic 3&K
Sonic Mania
Sonic 1

This was tougher than I thought it'd be...

1. Sonic 3&K

Apex of the classic series in its then-contemporary form.

2. Sonic Mania

Would top the list if it were wholly original. Some boss fights are a bit difficult to understand too, but otherwise perfect.

3. Sonic 2

Best pick up n' play Sonic.

4. Sonic Adventure

Have a soft spot for this one as it's the only game of the 3D series that still felt like it had classic DNA running through it (rather than later games that just aped the aesthetics).

5. Sonic Generations

Pound for pound probably the best of the boost series.

Thoughts?

1. Sonic 3&K

2. Sonic Mania

Would top the list if it were wholly original. Some boss fights are a bit difficult to understand too, but otherwise perfect.

3. Sonic 2

4. Sonic Adventure

Have a soft spot for this one as it's the only game of the 3D series that still felt like it had classic DNA running through it (rather than later games that just aped the aesthetics).

5. Sonic Generations

Thoughts?

I agree about Sonic Adventure that why its my number 1. It was 3D Sonic but it had alot of the Genesis DNA in it. Also there was just some kind of magic about the Dreamcast.

Sonic Shuffle was the very first game I played on the Dreamcast. Me and my brothers got it for Christmas with the Dreamcast, but we had no VMU, so I had to play the same level over and over again until we got one. Each level took around an hour to complete as well.

To be honest, I am not even sure if it would remain in my top Sonic games anymore if I played it again. It's been so long since I last played. All I remember is that I absolutely loved it as a kid and still loved it the last time I played it.

Whenever people ask me what my favourite Sonic games are, they often say I can't have grown up with the 2D games because I always list the 3D ones as my favourite. I did though, I grew up with both. We had the Master System and Mega Drive a while after they came out, probably around the same time the PS1 and Sega Saturn came out, so I never really experienced any Sonic game until 1995 at the earliest, possibly 1996, so I was either 6 ot 7 years old. We skipped the PS1, Saturn and N64 generation entirely and never got a Dreamcast until 2001. So the gap between me experiencing 2D Sonic and 3D Sonic was only around 5 years, and I was only 12 when I first played 3D Sonic games.

Sonic games were never one of my favourites until they went 3D. I like the 2D games, but when I was younger, my favourite Mega Drive games were Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Gunstar Heroes, Shining Force, Revenge of Shinobi and Super Hang On. I also remember really liking Cool Spot and Ristar when I was hospitalised with an Asthma attack :LOL: 2D Sonic games were games I would only really play when I wanted something different to play after playing my favourites too much, apart from Sonic 2, I loved that game when I was younger. We never owned it, but I remember borrowing it from my mate quite often and my brother renting it. Now that I think about it, my brother always used to use his pocket money to rent Mega Drive games for me and my younger brother.

1. Sonic 3&K

2. Sonic Mania

3. Sonic 2

4. Sonic Adventure

5. Sonic Generations

Thoughts?

Everybody loves Sonic 3&K, but for some reason, it never grew on me. I always found it punishing to move fast, like they would place enemies and hazards everywhere to make you hesitate. Maybe you just had to learn the layout of the level and you would be able to move a bit faster, but I don't think I ever had the patience as a kid. I also HATED the Blue Sphere special stages. Whenever I hear the music for those special stages, I get flashbacks to the annoying sound effects. It always used to mess my eyes up too :LOL: I think this is why I don't like Sonic Mania as much as everybody else. Out of all of the special stages, why did they have to bring back Blue Spheres?

I also heard Sonic CD is a great game never had a opportunity to play it

I didn't play Sonic CD until it was released on the Xbox 360. I liked it more than most 2D Sonic games, it's probably my favourite after Sonic 2.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles

- Best of the old school 2D games. A huge adventure where every stage offers great level design and music.Great feeling of progression and escalation of the stakes through visual imagery rather than cut scenes.

Sonic 1 Master System

- First Sonic game I played and it's still really tight. The music by Yuzo elevates this above and i like the experimental stages like Bridge Zone's auto scroller and Jungle Zone's vertical climb.

Sonic Generations

- A celebration of Sonic that is so good even the poor games got good representation. The classic versions of Rooftop Run and Crisis City are amazing, then you've got the great stuff like City Escape, Speed Highway and Sky Sanctuary in the mix too. Shame the last boss is pure whack but 95% of the game is golden.

Sonic Triple Trouble

- Best of the handheld Sonic titles offering great stages, bonus stages and awesome tunes. Sunset Park Act 3, enough said.

Sonic Adventure

- Rough around the edges but mindblowing for it's time. Big on plot, characters and cool stages have helped it retain a worthy status.

Mania is also utterly superb but is also a little too similar to 3&K.

2. Sonic Mania

100% agree with this. I think Sonic Mania is arguably the best Sonic game ever, but I would have a hard time putting it at #1 since owes a lot to the legacy of the older titles. The new levels were all awesome I would love for there to be a Sonic Mania 2 that's entirely original, but I'm thinking the Sonic Origins debacle might have squashed any hope of that :crying:

I'm kind of a rare Sega fan (maybe the only one?) who is into a lot of Sega games, but never really played the Sonic titles. Over the years I've been vaguely annoyed/perplexed by the, shall we say, very hyperbolic discussions regarding the series. This year, my daughter (9 years old) really got into Sonic via the movies, then the comics and shows (Sonic Boom and Sonic X), and now getting started with the games.

She was most interested in starting with Sonic Forces thanks to the fact that you can create your own character. She played through about 95% of the game herself, only occasionally asking me to help her with certain parts. On my own playthrough, I felt it was a very good game overall, with just a few points where there was a difficulty spike due to an unclear tactic or a sudden change of the expected rules (like, there's one auto-scrolling section).

Next up, she's gotten started on Sonic Generations. Also a very good game so far based on what we've seen.

After that, we've got Sonic Colors Ultimate and by the time we're through with that, I think it'll be close to the time that Sonic Frontiers comes out.

On my own, I've also played a bit of Sonic Mania.

I also think she'd be interested in the Sonic RPG that Bioware made, although I heard that it ends on a cliffhanger of sorts so that might be an unsatisfying experience if that story is never going to be resolved.

I know that I'm late to the series and I haven't yet tried some of the notoriously panned entries, but my initial impression is that all this "Sonic cycle" stuff is a bunch of bullshit and these are mostly really good games! Obviously everyone's got their favorite play styles and not every release is going to cater to everyone. But a lot of people use the internet as their personal dumping ground of frustration, so there's that. It just seems obvious that they're going to make different styles of games. I also like the movies and the Sonic Boom series, and it's hilarious that they take all the hater memes and just turn them into jokes.

Feel free to continue the ranking of games, but I admit: I may be eating some humble pie on Frontiers. This is looking much better than I expected.

I'm still in "wait and see" mode, but it's looking more polished. I agree with many that the original IGN preview looked a bit uninspired (no interface, etc.) if not clunky. It was an oddly cryptic intro. By contrast, I'm earnestly interested in this title now.

Feel free to continue the ranking of games, but I admit: I may be eating some humble pie on Frontiers. This is looking much better than I expected.

I'm still in "wait and see" mode, but it's looking more polished. I agree with many that the original IGN preview looked a bit uninspired (no interface, etc.) if not clunky. It was an oddly cryptic intro. By contrast, I'm earnestly interested in this title now.

Agreed also in "wait and see" mode but from what I've seen Mr. Needlemouse may have the makings of a good game. Secretly I hope this turns out to be a GOTY contender.

Back