Sonic the Hedgehog thread

Forums and the internet as a whole are for discussion.

Discuss what? We saw a few minutes of context-free footage of a game that doesn't even have a specific release date yet. From what we have seen, I think the game could go either way, but I am at least glad they have decided to try something different instead of doing yet another "boost" game in the Hedgehog engine. I think you seem to feel that I am attacking you personally or even the discussion on this forum, which I thought was clear was not the case. The only reason I laugh reacted at your post was because it came across, to me, as a bit passive aggressive.

"Trying to claim anyone with legitimate criticism is “whining”"

You cannot claim that I was saying that anyone with legitimate criticism is whining, because I didn't specify what comments I was referring to. I didn't have any problems with the discussion here or your comments. I was talking about social media and other forums. I have no issue if people are concerned about the concept of an open world Sonic game, felt some of the animations looked dodgy, are concerned about the world potentially feeling empty or want to point out technical issues like the pop in.

If you want a circle jerk, maybe stay off the internet?

I don't want a circle jerk. Just bored of the tabloid and clickbait-esque rhetoric that has permeated its way onto social media discussions and into the video games online community. As I already mentioned, I am talking more generally and I would wager that if I was discussing this within the context of the general attitude towards Shenmue 3, nobody here would be kicking up a stink 🤷‍♂️

It's a circle jerk in itself as everyone either wanks themselves into a frenzy over what's going to be the next "big disaster" in a self-gratulatory manner (usually, as I mentioned above with Sonic Frontiers, before the game has even been released) or froths at the mouth at the "audacity" of publishers porting/remastering/remaking old games.

There's "legitimate criticism" and then there's just hyperbole and being endlessly negative for the sake of it.

just goes to show how much of a hypocrite you are

:rolleyes:

I’m not going to apologize for having standards for entertainment I spend my own hard earned money on.

Speaking of self-gratulatory...

I read/listened to a few places who have had hands with the game, and they were surprised how good it was, and it's potential. Basically all said the same, that the original IGN footage was unimpressive but what they actually got to play was pretty good. Apparently that original footage is also an older build (fuck knows why they showed it off then).

The footage above looks soooo much better, just wish there was some music lol. Makes it feel a bit strange.

I was just about to share the same video. It's certainly much better than what Sega gave to IGN. The pop ins are still horrible for me though and not something I see getting fixed by the time it releases. It's odd because it's using the same engine as PSO2 NGS I think, but the pop ins are nowhere near as bad in that game. Maybe NGS devs are just finding better ways to cover it up, but it's certainly noticeably worse in Sonic Frontiers.

This demo does look a lot more enjoyable to play though so at the very least, my confidence in it has gone up a bit.

Speaking of the initial footage given to IGN, I suspect Sega thought the sparse, almost post-apocalyptic setting and clearly BOTW inspired music would come across as mysterious and interesting, but it didn't get the reaction they expected.

16 seconds into the video, the enemy has the Sonic Adventure 2 menu sound effect when he moves 😁

While I still have my reservations, I do share the increasingly common view that the advertising for this has been quite odd: initially show an older build which turns off some folks, prevent players from filming the build featured at a games festival, and only now show off some of the hyperspace levels.

The game is looking much better than I was initially expecting (never a problem to admit I was wrong), but... it's weird how they're going about presenting this game. I know companies drip feed gameplay to build hype, but this just seems an unhelpful method for them.

Sadly, after getting my hopes up for the game again, recent stuff has come out that has absolutely ruined my hype again.

The Cyberspace levels have been proven to be just direct copy paste sections from Generations and Unleashed levels, with just a few environmental differences, which is incredibly lazy from Sega.

Secondly, that trailer with the really nice looking CGI cutscene is not what we will see in the game. There is an in game cutscene in the demo of that exact scene in the trailer and it looks nothing like that. The cutscene was a trailer for the game only.

Sadly, after getting my hopes up for the game again, recent stuff has come out that has absolutely ruined my hype again.

The Cyberspace levels have been proven to be just direct copy paste sections from Generations and Unleashed levels, with just a few environmental differences, which is incredibly lazy from Sega.

Secondly, that trailer with the really nice looking CGI cutscene is not what we will see in the game. There is an in game cutscene in the demo of that exact scene in the trailer and it looks nothing like that. The cutscene was a trailer for the game only.
Yeah, I was already pretty down on the game after it was confirmed to be open world, but everything we've been finding out about the cyberspace stages is likely the nail in the coffin for me. My suspicion on why they literally copy pasted stages like this is that the cyberspace stages in general may have been a late addition to the game. They may have originally intended for the entire game to take place in the open world, and only decided to add the cyberspace stages later after hearing playtesters complain about the game being boring.

I'm just pulling that out of my ass, though. I have no idea what's really going on. Oh well, here's to the next linear Sonic game I guess. I'm sure plenty of people will still enjoy Frontiers, I just don't think it's for me.

I'm the opposite - it's the cyberspace levels combined with the open world that's drawing me into this. A blast of quick arcade action between exploring the open world sounds perfectly complementary, and if they had to borrow some layouts from past games to fill up the level count (32 I've read) then fine by me. Sonic team have also completely overhauled how Sonic controls in 3D so he no longer slides about like in Forces. That's reason enough to get me interested. I'm really intrigued by the whole thing and let's face it after the risable Forces the only way is up (baby).

They could still certainly screw the rest of the game up, but this looks great to me.

I'm so up and down with my opinions with this game. One minute I hate the look of it, then I like it, then I hate it again, then I like it again. I'm just going to wait until it comes out at this point. It's only 2 months away.

I'm still really curious to see how well Sonic plays in an open world. Even if it turns out that open world isn't 100% the right decision when all's said and done, it's still worth seeing a new wider gameplay concept vs the rush gameplay in the recent 3D games. I think the wider zones with some skill based parkour traversal is a better translation of the momentum based 2D gameplay.

This was a recently released trailer to go over the basic gameplay flow:

Back