SNES

~ ひかり ~

このまま・・・時間が止まるといい
Site Staff
Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (PS4)
This time is the time of SNES, i remember that i had a SNES when i was a kid, but i don't remember really well the things that happened at that time in my life about the SNES. 😢

All i remember is that at that time i played SNES.

In my opinion SNES have a beautiful library of games >>> Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, Zelda, Star Fox, Kirby, Super Bomberman, Chrono Trigger, Street Fighter II, Final Fantasy games, Castlevania, Mortal Kombat, Mega Man and maaaaaaaaaaaany more, so many classics, a wonderful library of games, one of the best libraries of games of all time.

Interesting to see that in Japan the name and design is different, in Japan the name of the console is Super Famicom.

In my opinion SNES is a nice console with so many good games.

And you? you like SNES? you have favorite games? you have dearest memories because of this console? I remember my mother playing the games with me, it is one of my dearest memories.

Here we can talk everything about SNES, thank you.

1630265409797.png

Last edited:
I preferred the Sega Genesis game library and controller to the SNES, but I had some good times with SNES. The first two games I played was Mortal Kombat 1 and 2 for SNES. Realistically I shouldn't have been playing MK at that age but none the less I was exposed to it and they were amazing games. At that time I also enjoyed Street Fighter 2, although I have no idea why looking back at it. At that time I loved Final Fight Guy, Yoshis Island, Kirby All Stars and Killer Instinct. I feel the SNES unfairly overshadowed the Genesis, but it did offer enough diversity and variety in exclusives to make up for it.

The SNES is one of my all-time favorite systems, right up there with the Dreamcast. It was the first console that really made me appreciate both the artistic potential and deep story possibilities in gaming. I still find games like DKC2, Yoshi's Island, and Super Mario World quite beautiful, and Final Fantasies 4 and 6 are still two of my favorite RPGs.

The music really blew my mind, too, and I have SNES soundtracks on my playlists to this day: DKC2, Street Fighter II, Mega Man X1-3, Star Fox, and Super Castlevania, amongst others!

Everything about the SNES was just about as much as you could hope for from a console at the time, from the sound to the graphics to the controller.

I've only played a few SNES games but hoped to get more into the library during quarantine, but alas there were so many Genesis and Sega CD games that I played so I didn't have enough time! I think Chrono Trigger is the best JRPG I've ever played, and FFVI was great, too, though I never finished it. Played about half of Lttp as well, also awesome, also need to finish it.

I've had this thought that the SNES library was a bit more "top heavy" and that the Genesis had a more well-rounded library, but that could be because I'm much more familiar with the Genesis library. What are some non-Nintendo, Capcom, Rare, or Konami games that people can recommend? More of the "hidden gem" type games, since the essentials and well regarded games have been talked about everywhere for years.

I love the Super Star Wars trilogy on SNES. ❤️ Bloody difficult games though...

I hope Aspyr Media ports these gems onto Switch.

I've only played a few SNES games but hoped to get more into the library during quarantine, but alas there were so many Genesis and Sega CD games that I played so I didn't have enough time! I think Chrono Trigger is the best JRPG I've ever played, and FFVI was great, too, though I never finished it. Played about half of Lttp as well, also awesome, also need to finish it.

I've had this thought that the SNES library was a bit more "top heavy" and that the Genesis had a more well-rounded library, but that could be because I'm much more familiar with the Genesis library. What are some non-Nintendo, Capcom, Rare, or Konami games that people can recommend? More of the "hidden gem" type games, since the essentials and well regarded games have been talked about everywhere for years.
Sega circles always seem to lean a bit toward the Genesis's library, but I've always been in the SNES camp (although I love the Genny as well!). It wasn't until the Saturn of all systems that I jumped aboard the Sega ship. Only got two new consoles out of, but man, what adventures they were!

Anyway, non-Capcom, Rare, or Konami? Secret of Mana, although Square is a bit of a cop-out too, and ditto for Dragon Quest V/VI. Admittedly, if you cut out Nintendo, Capcom, Rare, Konami, and Square Enix, you do lose a giant chunk of the SNES's best.

Discounting those and trying to think of exclusives: Skyblazer, Metal Warriors, Actraiser 1 & 2, Ogre Battle, Lufia 2, Illusion of Gaia...

Oh, and I always liked Super Ninja Boy (sequel to Little Ninja Bros. on the NES, and both sequels to Kung Fu Heroes). Pretty neat co-op action-RPGs that featured both command battles and action setpieces and track-and-field type minigames. Quirky and unique.

Sega circles always seem to lean a bit toward the Genesis's library, but I've always been in the SNES camp (although I love the Genny as well!). It wasn't until the Saturn of all systems that I jumped aboard the Sega ship. Only got two new consoles out of, but man, what adventures they were!

Anyway, non-Capcom, Rare, or Konami? Secret of Mana, although Square is a bit of a cop-out too, and ditto for Dragon Quest V/VI. Admittedly, if you cut out Nintendo, Capcom, Rare, Konami, and Square Enix, you do lose a giant chunk of the SNES's best.

Discounting those and trying to think of exclusives: Skyblazer, Metal Warriors, Actraiser 1 & 2, Ogre Battle, Lufia 2, Illusion of Gaia...

Oh, and I always liked Super Ninja Boy (sequel to Little Ninja Bros. on the NES, and both sequels to Kung Fu Heroes). Pretty neat co-op action-RPGs that featured both command battles and action setpieces and track-and-field type minigames. Quirky and unique.
Ha, it's probably a bit unfair to eliminate those companies outright, since a few games on Genesis that aren't as popular as they should be come from big companies like Konami (Rocket Knight Adventures) and Ristar (Sega). That's probably closer to the types of games I'm looking for, games that are great that aren't part of those annoying and recycled "GrEaTeSt GaMeS eVeR!!@!" lists, but they can come from any company. Thanks for the recs, though!

Say for example, all of these are on my list to play and most are always talked about:

Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VI
Earthbound
Secret of Mana
Castlevania IV
Link to the Past
Super Metroid
Super Mario World 1 and 2
Megaman X Series
Donkey Kong Country Series
Actraiser
Contra III
Turtles in Time
Knights of the Round
Batman Returns
Super Star Wars series
R-Type III
Gradius III

Never had one. I was a Gameboy only user around the time it was relevant. Did not get into home console gaming before97 when I got my n64.

But after getting a used mega drive and Mega Cd to catch up with the great 16 bit era I am also interested in getting a used SNES eventually as well.

The Snes has some nice games that are worth playing for sure. But for know I am busy with getting a decent Mega Drive libary. But when that task is complete I am going for the SNES as well.

I really wonder if I am going to enjoy it the same as the Mega Drive or if the Mega drive is staying on the top. Although I am really ultra late to the party with the Mega Drive I really like that little console. I can totally see why it was so popular.

There are a lot I'd highly recommend as must play, like:

-Cybernator (action platformer)
-Wild Guns (Light gun action)
-Shadowrun (ARPG)
-R-type 3: Third Lightning (Shmup)
-Hagane (action platformer)
-Metal Marines (Strategy)
-Nosferatu (Cinematic action platformer with a fighting game moveset)
-Mechwarrior (FPS)
-Terranigma (ARPG)

Though you mentioned non-Capcom or Konami titles I'd give at least the following two a chance as they are very underrated:
-The adventures of Batman & Robin (Action Adventure)
-Demon's Crest (Action Adventure a la Metroidvania)

But the most intriguing and varied titles lie with its Japanese library (most can be found with an Eng translation rom patch):

-Chaos Seed (RTS/ARPG hybrid, and I believe it to be the most complex 16 bit console game ever requiring around 40~60 hours to complete it and it's non-grinding)
-Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie (Shmup)
-Gundam Wing: Endless Duel (2D Fighting precursor to Marvel vs Capcom's aerial combo mechanics)
-Deae Tonosama Appare Ichiban (action run-and-gun)
-Clock Tower (Adventure, and I believe it's the only "survival horror" 16 bit console game)
-Magical Pop'n (Action Platformer)
-Do-Re-Mi Fantasy (Platfomer)
-Yu Yu Hakusho Tokubestu Hen (RTS in the framework of a fighting game, I know, and I bet you've never seen anything like it as the Japanese call the sub-genre Visual Battle)
-Shounen Ninja Sasuke (Brawler Adventure a la Yakuza games)
-Alcahest (Top Down view action)
-Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War (TRPG, and yeah, it's from Nintendo but trust me, most never heard of it and I believe it's the best title in the series even up to this day)

Last edited:
Have pretty fond memories of SNES as it was my first system. Think the first we owned was Super Mario World and shortly thereafter Donkey Kong Country. Might have rented DKC2 and 3 as well.

I recall multiple versions of Street Fighter 2 for some reason. Also Killer Instinct. Uniracers was a really fun one. Beavis and Butthead was real tough for us youngsters and was incredibly satisfying to finally beat when we got a couple years older. I think we might have had a Blues Brothers game at one point? And one that might have been some form of Inspector Gadget.

Wouldn’t be until the Wii that I finished some others and got around to playing more of the classics. Still haven’t beat Mario World legitimately but at least I’ve done most of it as well as the shortcut through Star Road.

Kirby’s Dream Land 3 and Super Star were kinda on the meh side for me, but Kirby in general is not terrible. I loved Super Metroid in most ways except for not being able to find a comfortable button layout unfortunately. Chrono Trigger is maybe my favorite RPG despite being on the easier side of things. I’d played A Link to the Past on GBA but it was nice to finally be able to play on a bigger screen. Lastly I think worth mentioning are Final Fantasy 4 and 6 which are both good in their own ways.

Which SNES games you guys would consider as a must have to play for every SNES onwer. I think I am going to join the club of the Snes owners sooner than expected.

Checked out my local retro game store online just for fan and saw that they have A snes at rather good price compared the prices you can find online. So I think I will try to get one at the weekend if is still there.

And in case I succeed getting one I need some games recommendations. That's why I am asking.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Which SNES games you guys would consider as a must have to play for every SNES onwer. I think I am going to join the club of the Snes owners sooner than expected.

Checked out my local retro game store online just for fan and saw that they have A snes at rather good price compared the prices you can find online. So I think I will try to get one at the weekend if is still there.

And in case I succeed getting one I need some games recommendations. That's why I am asking.

Thanks for the help in advance.
The classics are a great start. Must play for me would definitely include at least Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Actraiser, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Cybernator and if your wallet can take it, Wild Guns.

would of been cool if i kept my snes but as a kid when i got my ps1, i smashed up my snes and binned it. thinking back, i think the same thing happened to my ps1 lol

i think the snes was the first games console i got to play, in the very early 90s. my cousin had one, he also had a panasonic 3do so i got to play on that. i don't think many ppl got to play on the old 3do.

i remember loving super mario world, donkey kong country 1/3 and mortal kombat 3.

when the snes mini came out, like most people i felt very nostalgic. i still think the snes games look great but i couldn't bring myself to buy one. - maybe if nintendo online get tones of snes games, i'll be more interested in a switch.

Last edited:
Anyone have recommendations for controllers? I have a couple of originals but I'm not the biggest fan of the d-pad and the buttons feel mushy. I'm not sure if it's because they're used, so perhaps they're broken in a bit more.

I did buy an 8Bitdo Sn30 that will be delivered in a few days, but it looks like it's a replica of an original controller.

Anyone have recommendations for controllers? I have a couple of originals but I'm not the biggest fan of the d-pad and the buttons feel mushy. I'm not sure if it's because they're used, so perhaps they're broken in a bit more.

I did buy an 8Bitdo Sn30 that will be delivered in a few days, but it looks like it's a replica of an original controller.
I'd almost guess the issue is that they're used, but admittedly I quite like the d-pad and the buttons. It's one of my favorite controllers.

I've heard good things about the 8Bitdo SN 30, but never used one myself. The iBuffalo and Cirka SNES controllers are quite nice, albeit basically just trying to replicate Nintendo's design. It does seem like most third party controllers attempt to mimic the original.

My Asciipad feels a bit stiff with the d-pad, but I know some people dig it, and it has individual manual/turbo/auto switches for the six main buttons, if that's of interest. The Capcom Pad Soldier is a little out there (not my picture, just borrowed from Ebay), but I recall it feeling pretty good (been a while since I used mine, and it's in storage somewhat far away).

There's probably some more drastically-different stuff somewhere out there!

Capcom Pad Soldier.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions! I looked up the Asciipad and it was pretty universally praised, so I'll look to pick up one of those if possible. I can also try to replace the rubber pads under the controller, maybe that will help with the mushiness. When looking on reddit I came across these two suggestions, not sure if you may of heard of these but here's the links https://console5.com/store/snes-replacement-controller-silicone-rubber-carbon-dot-pads.html and https://store.retrofixes.com/produc...roller-repair-kit?_pos=5&_sid=5a6178efb&_ss=r

I also found this controller that was mislabeled as an Asciipad on Amazon that resembles a genesis 6 button controller! No idea if it's good, could hardly find any info on it but I think it's pretty nifty, though the buttons might be spaced apart too far https://www.retrogames.co.uk/024485/Nintendo/SNES-Gamester-SN8-Controller

Back