Shenmue Theory - Ren will die?

Welcome to my blog post where i will share my opinion
about a wonderful theory. This blog will have SPOILERS of the games and the anime.

wuying_ren_by_rikenz15_dbeksue-fullview.jpg

Ren Wuying is one of the most popular characters in the Shenmue series. Ren is an important character
in the story. There is a theory that Ren will die sacrificing himself to protect Ryo, in this blog
i will share my thoughts and ideas about this theory.

Ren first appeared in the story in the game Shenmue II. In the game we see that Ren cares a lot about
money/treasures, it is the thing that Ren cares the most, during the game Ren help Ryo and we can
see that deep down Ren cares about Ryo in some way, but after Kowloon Ryo go alone to Guilin.

Ren and Ryo.jpg

In Shenmue III Ryo see Ren again in Niaowu, Ren helped Ryo again, and in some scenes we can see
that deep down Ren cares about Ryo, especially in the ending when Ryo was losing against Lan Di and
Ren tries to save Ryo, but Lan Di kick Ren and Ren fall on the ground, in the other moment
of this fight Ren say for Lan Di that he will give the Phoenix Mirror if he let Ryo go, it was
a fake Phoenix Mirror, when Lan Di let Ryo go Ren throw the Fake mirror to outside of the
Fortified Castle, this way saving Ryo again in the battle.

Fight1.jpgFight2.jpg
Fight3.jpg

The castle was on fire but Ryo still wanted to fight Lan Di, but Ren was there and he pushes
Ryo so Ryo can go out of the castle. Ren made Ryo give up about continue this fight, in other
words, Ren saved Ryo again in this fight.

Ren saved Ryo 3 times in this fight, and especially in this fight we can see how much this
friendship is important for Ryo to not go to the wrong path in extreme situations, Ren is an
emotional support in these moments, for Ryo to gain his sanity back in this moments, and all
of this was possible with Ren protecting and helping Ryo in these extreme situations.

If Shenmue IV happen we will probably see Ryo, Ren and Shenhua travelling together, we will probably
see these characters getting even more closer to each other.

In the anime Ren shows even more how much he cares about Ryo, Ryo made an impact in Ren's life, Ren decides to
follow Ryo. In the rooftop part Dou Niu was about to hit Ryo but Ren was there and saved Ryo, Ryo was
losing his sanity because he wanted revenge against Lan Di, but Ren managed to calm Ryo and
Ryo even thanked Ren because of this, again Ren being an emotional support for Ryo in these
extreme situations.

RenRyo2.jpg

Like i said Ren helped Ryo to gain his sanity back in this moments, and all of this was possible
with Ren protecting and helping Ryo in these extreme situations.

Can you all imagine if Ren was not there in these situations in the games and in the anime? probably
something bad would have happened to Ryo, but Ren was there to save Ryo in all these situations and
this is really beautiful, and this shows that deep down Ren cares about Ryo.

Ren Wuying.jpg

In the anime It is interesting that Ren said a lot of times the phrase Junnen Hayai da yo, Akira
phrase when he wins a fight in VF, probably in the Legend of Akira scripts/novels Ren say this
phrase a lot, probably is his catch phrase. I think in the scripts/novels Ren die and as a way of
honoring and remembering his friend Ryo (Akira) decide to use Ren's bandana as his headband,
and decide to say Junnen Hayai Da Yo a lot as well.

80321.jpg

As a way to honor his friend that died protecting him, and through pain and sadness i feel Ryo will
finally understand the last words of his father... "Keep friends... those you love... close to you."

Some people only learn lessons in life in the hard way, i can talk about myself as an example, i
don't want to talk about my life in detail on the internet anymore, but for people here to
understand the theory about Ren i will say one thing. I lost my mother, my mother is not here
with me but i'm still learning lessons with my mother, about the things that my mother used to say
to me, i learned some lessons in life in the hard way.

i don't think is a bad idea to go this route with Ryo, for Ryo to lose Ren and after that finally
learn the lesson to "keep friends... those you love... close to you."

Ryo need to fully learn 2 important lessons

1. "Keep friends... those you love... close to you."

Ryo only see the path of revenge in front of him, Ryo is not focusing on love and friendship, Ryo
right now in the story only care about revenge, so probably at one point of the story Ryo will fully
learn this lesson, maybe in the hard way with Ren's death, if Ren die it will probably have a big
impact to the story and in Ryo's life so i like this theory.

2. "Martial arts are used to protect people's lives. If you use your fists otherwise, you will walk
on the path of evil, too!"

Same thing i said in the other lesson, Ryo right now only see the path of revenge in front of him,
in the final moments Ryo will probably learn this lesson, Ryo will probably not go to the path of
evil like Ziming went. Ziming is like a Ryo but a Ryo that went into the path of evil.

FSLIPHVXoAE_5sC.jpg

Maybe in this chapter card is Ren's face in the up part of the card, and in the other part is Akira
probably holding Ren after he died.

If this happen it will probably be one of the most emotional moments of the entire Shenmue series.

ChapterCard.png

If Ren die it will probably have a character development for him before he die, probably Ren will
realize that money/treasures are not the most important things in life, that the real treasures
are friends.

Ren will probably realize how much he cares about Ryo, and how much he see Ryo as
his friend and then will sacrifice himself for Ryo, Ren will protect Ryo again but this time it
will be the last time, Ren will not resist the injuries and will die, but before that he will
admit for Ryo how much he cares about him, how much he view Ryo as a friend. One of the
Shenmue themes is friendship so this is possible

As a way to honor his friend that died protecting him Ryo will pick Ren's badana and use as his
headband. I know that a lot of things changed since VF RPG days, but in my opinion when Yu
Suzuki changed to Shenmue he did not changed the main journey of the main protagonist.

virtua-fighter-2-akira-yuki-8-cgi.jpg

This is the reason we see Ryo learning Bajiquan moves, Akira's fighting style is Bajiquan, this is the reason Ryo have similar
things with Akira, this is the reason why it looks like Ryo is a younger version of Akira, because Yu Suzuki
did not changed the main journey of the protagonist, the main journey of Ryo is the same story since
VF RPG days, the journey that leads Ryo to become knowledgeable and skilled in the Bajiquan fighting style,
this is how i feel about this.

All i know is that i like this idea, if Ren die it will probably have a big character development
for him before he die, it will probably have a big development for Ryo, it will have a big impact
in the story and in Ryo's life so i love this theory, it will be really emotional if this happen, if
this happen it will be one of the most emotional moments of the entire Shenmue Series.

And you? how do you feel about this theory? Ren will die sacrificing himself to protect Ryo? share
your opinions in the comments below, thank you all for reading, and remember to keep friends... those
you love... close to you, see you all in my next blog post, bye bye ~

unknown.png

Last edited:
Back