Shenmue Portrait Generator

Not entirely a mod, but something along those lines.

I want to work on a Shenmue character portrait generator, which uses javascript to mix and match tons of character features to create your own downloadable 2D portrait in the style of Shenmue characters.

I have a question that is a long shot: does anyone know of existing decent-quality images of every character in the game, from the same angle?

If not, is there a quick way I can cycle through every character's face? A cheat code to spawn certain characters? If not, does anyone remember if Shenmue Passport lets you zoon into character faces?

I have a question that is a long shot: does anyone know of existing decent-quality images of every character in the game, from the same angle?
The only thing I can think of is the VS guide book, although I'm not sure about the quality there... Maybe you can rip them right off the passport disk???

by importing the characters you could get the alignment you want to take the screen grabs, I toyed with the idea of a 3D character generator like in Skyrim by overlapping faces and being able to morph between facial features on a slider,
I think the main problem is that the charcters arn't standardised and skin tone varies a lot too, the main cast have higher polys and the 70 man battle goons (many with variations of the same clothes) border on being Resident Evil1(psx) types.

These profile images are on the passport disk but I dont think they will help much

Last edited:
I don't know where you can find these photos, but there are a ton of platforms that can you help transform the photos into different ways.

Those profile photos are in better resolution at the HD remaster.
Get a 100% gamesave with those unlocked, open the profile screen and start dumping them all at once with NinjaRipper in dds format. Then you can convert to png with transparency with Rick Whitehouse's Noesis (batch option), SageThumbs or similar (right button clic contextual menu expansions for convert on the fly option and previsualizing).

Back