Shenmue IV Will Happen - Here's Why!

Don't think so, from what's known about the structure of the Embracer Group - who seem generally more interested in IP acquisition than just offering publishing deals like Deep Silver. I expect this showcase to be more the fruits of those kinds of efforts, really.

Shenmue and YsNet are in an awkward position in that ultimately the IP still belongs to SEGA. Even though Shenmue III met sales expectations and has proved to have a long tail on evergreen sales, there's no real incentive for Embracer to gobble them up - and we would have heard if they did.
Again, not looking to get anybody’s hopes up, but it’s not completely unheard of for IPs to pass between subdivisions of Koch/Embracer (see below). As you say though, THQ tend to be more focused on in-house publishing/development, so Deep Silver is definitely a better fit.

After Shenmue 3, where because there were some obligations on Ysnet to show us progress due to the game being crowdfunded, I think that if/when Shenmue 4 gets announced we will get only a few crumbs of footage, similar to breath of the wild 2, until the team feel satisfied with the final (or close to final) product.

The reaction to some of the early Shenmue 3 footage will no doubt influence this.

Fascinating...

I mean he did vaguely say he had "a sequel" planned for 2021. With Covid still being a problem, maybe 2022 now.

Still TGS and TGAs to go, though

Sorry to be a major boner killer, but that site appears to have placeholder listings for nearly every unreleased game ever! To name a few: Metal Gear Solid Remake, GTA 6, The Sims 5, Sonic Adventure 3 etc.
Yeah they just stole someone's art, I'm pretty sure someone found the artist once on here lol

It's fake. The image is a piece of fan art that's been around for along time, and used in BS placeholders. It's not official artwork. Nowhere near it. It was used by one placeholder we over a year ago, so they must just link it.

Regardless, it's nice to keep the hope alive. I don't feel 2021 is the year for it now, but 2022 is really shaping up to be a great year for gaming it seems.

We still have a couple of events this year that Shenmue IV *could* make an appearance, but I feel if it ever does show, it'll be at a Sony event again.

I will never give up on my 4 but I my hope is not build on the interweb. The internet is crazy place where some crazy people love to troll the naiv fanbase that some old dead titles will come back.

The fake comeback of interplay was really weird for example. The stupid MGS and Silent Hill comeback rumors since 2019 were not better either.

But the worst thing is how naive this fans are considering their advanced age. It is really crazy that they have not realised yet that video game companies are not our friends. They do not care about the fanbase.

They do what brings the most money. And bringing back dead series like MGS and Silent Hill out the blue for no reason is not happening.

There is not a new surge of interest in stealth games for example that would warrant a comeback of MGS. Survial Horror has also not experienced a major surge of interest that would warrant a comeback of Silent Hill.

The Horror Remakes so far sold ok but that did not set the world on fire with their sales numbers. Listening what some dudes on the internet when it is about rumors is a waste of time. They make things up the make fun of the funs or are just posting their wishlists.

But back 2 Shenmue 4. I do not think we are going to hear anything this year but maybe at some point next year if it is happening at all.

Given the time between Shenmue 2 and 3, I'm not going to hold my breath for a Shenmue 4 announcement any time soon. That said, the most opportune time to announce the 4th will be along side the anime as so many on here have stated. If the anime comes and goes without a peep... it'll be at that point that I assume the series in game form isn't moving forward. We're not getting any younger and neither is Suzuki.

If we don't have any news this year we will probably have news next year, but if next year nothing happens about it then i'm going to start thinking about whether Shenmue IV is really going to happen.

As I said the other day, I don't think 18 years of wait will happen again, if Yu Suzuki doesn't have more opportunities to continue Shenmue in that way i think he will let us know this time.

I don't know if we'll have good news or bad news but i think next year at max we will have some news about Shenmue IV, about if Shenmue will continue in game format or not, about what will happen with Shenmue.

At this point if Yu Suzuki and the team show just the logo of Shenmue IV i would be happy.

At this point i just need a confirmation that Shenmue IV is in development.

At some point I think that we'll have to apply pressure to Sega once again to somehow allow Shenmue IV to be released. YS isn't getting any younger, therefore we'll have to get aggressive if we don't hear anything by the end of next year. If they were comfortable allocating money to remake I and II from the ground up, I'm optimistic someone will give Suzuki the resources he needs to make a full game. I am glad to see despite all of the things that have transpired over the years, the fire still burns deep for many of us who still wants Shenmue IV very badly.

There are two things that I think would benefit the saga.
- A switch port of I&II and even III. Switch It is the fashionable console right now.
- Advertising in china. Shenmue is a story about China.

how could we get that?
Did S3 ever officially release in China or not? I remember that being kind of up in the air for a while and I don't know whatever happened with all that.

Did S3 ever officially release in China or not? I remember that being kind of up in the air for a while and I don't know whatever happened with all that.
I'm curious on if the CCP would allow it. They may demand changes if they find something they don't like.

Back