Shenmue IV Models (MetaHuman)

I've played around with MetaHuman a bit, I think that tech could be very useful for Shenmue IV. I believe the original Shenmue games did the best they could at the time to make a realistic world and not stylized. Shenmue III should have continued doing the same and not doing so led to some seriously bad results when it comes to character models among other things.

MetaHuman has a new feature where you can convert an existing 3D model to a Metahuman

I tried messing around with Ryo's model from SEGA All Star Racing (its the one that popped up after googling 'Ryo 3D model') After stumbling my way through the entire process ,,, The result... is a horrifying eldritch abomination.

View attachment 16518

There is a slider that controls how much influence the original 3D model has over the Metahuman photo realistic style... If I turn that slider all the way down (aka reduce the original's influence) it becomes slightly less horrifying:

View attachment 16517

I hope actual tech savvy people on this board can try this out and maybe have better results lol
Trying it out now.

1668440966146.png

1668442030498.png
Here it is, Ryo Metahuman based on the Sega All Star Racing model. Sorry about the hair, trust me nothing is worse than that at the moment, I had to hide the monstrosity that was the head shape because it can't be unseen. The original mesh needs a lot of tweaking to have a human like shape. The eye proportions are a bit exaggerated on the original Ryo model as well which makes it look a bit weird here.

View attachment 17195
Here it is, Ryo Metahuman based on the Sega All Star Racing model. Sorry about the hair, trust me nothing is worse than that at the moment, I had to hide the monstrosity that was the head shape because it can't be unseen. The original mesh needs a lot of tweaking to have a human like shape. The eye proportions are a bit exaggerated on the original Ryo model as well which makes it look a bit weird here.
That nose and mouth are on point though!

View attachment 17195
That actually looks really good, well done!

It probably doesn't help that the SASR Ryo model isn't the most Ryo-like... It's closer to the Passport model (if not the same). If we had the original Shenmue 1 & 2 Ryo model the results will probably be more accurate.

Still, it's crazy how you can make a fully rigged photo realistic Metahuman just by inserting any 3D Mesh. It will only get better from now on, too.

That nose and mouth are on point though!
The high cheekbones are also on point... A few adjustments on the eyes, skin, and hair and this will trump Shenmue 3's Ryo model easily.

That actually looks really good, well done!

It probably doesn't help that the SASR Ryo model isn't the most Ryo-like... It's closer to the Passport model (if not the same). If we had the original Shenmue 1 & 2 Ryo model the results will probably be more accurate.

Still, it's crazy how you can make a fully rigged photo realistic Metahuman just by inserting any 3D Mesh. It will only get better from now on, too.

The high cheekbones are also on point... A few adjustments on the eyes, skin, and hair and this will trump Shenmue 3's Ryo model easily.

Thanks, I think Ryo from Shenmue II would probably make the best conversion, I've been extracting some models from Shenmue II if I come across Ryo I'll try it out and share it.

Aside from the issues I described the mesh is distorting the head shape probably influencing more things than it should, it needs to be shaped or replaced, if I have some free time I might look into it. Also there are no Ryo like eyebrows in metahuman.

1668501973297.png

Last edited:
View attachment 17195
Apart from the hair (which you explained), this looks really good. Seriously, great work

1704161797607.png

1704161852027.png
1704161926361.png

This is my attempt at Ryo using MetaHumans (without importing any mesh).
Still not happy with the nose; it needs to be thinner and smaller at the bottom. Also, the eyes should be closer to each other, but then they don't look Asian anymore (at least with this setup).
Hairline also needs to be lower, of course.
But the rest feels quite similar.
I used the Shenmue Passport as a reference:
I'm tempted to get the 3DScanStore's Young Asian Male MetaHuman Identity to add more details:

Apparently, you can apply them to any model you want, so they don't need to match the source.
They also have good hairstyles to bring Ryo's mullet back!

Last edited:
View attachment 17195
I'm imaging this as Ryo's counter to Niao Sun's disguise. This is how he'll infiltrate CYM HQ undetected...

Back