Shenmue in magazines!

James Brown

Administrator
I posted a few magazine pages scans before on the old forum, and any new articles or little Shenmue blurbs that I discover I will post in here :)! If you spot anything Shenmue related in a magazine please feel free to add it. Just the Shenmue part will do, zooming in on harder to read text. No full magazines, or pdf’s...just a photo or scan of the specific page/s!

The latest Edge magazine is out and Shenmue gets a couple of little features! One about QTE’s in a section discussing various features of video games and where they first took off. The other part is an awesome collected works article about Toshihiro Nagoshi! The magazine might be worth a purchase alone for this interesting section, which gives his thoughts on each of the series’s that he has worked on. Very interesting read about his job on Shenmue!

QTEs:

Mag 1.jpg

Mag 2.jpg

Thanks James! Very interesting to read the comments by Nagoshi about getting Shenmue wrapped up in 6 months. Other magazine articles have mentioned what a demanding project it was to work on, but this gives some additional insight.

Definitely! I thought it was interesting that they specifically sent him in because they knew Yu would listen to him, and the game needed wrapping up because it was getting out of hand haha! Makes you wonder what the game could have been had they just let Yu carry on with no worry of DC dying etc. Also the fact that Yu didn't believe in drawing documents planning the game, you can really feel the stress everyone must have faced at the time!

Yu was the mad scientist of Sega.

"Shall we skip implementing a sunrise in Shenmue since Ryo won't be awake to see it?" "No, we're going to put one in in case someone cheats the system."

"Shall we assign the most experienced staff to develop Virtua Fighter?" "No, I'm going to hold a martial arts tournament and let the winners keep their seats."

Really interesting insight from Nagoshi. I would try to read his Edge columns someday.

Yu was the mad scientist of Sega.

"Shall we skip implementing a sunrise in Shenmue since Ryo won't be awake to see it?" "No, we're going to put one in in case someone cheats the system."

Can you remember the source?

If Shenmue is going to be given credit for popularizing the QTE, then it should be called by the name that it was called by in Shenmue, which is Quick Timer Event. Which makes perfect sense, since an action must be performed within the time allowed by a timer. I think it was the concurrent popularity of Apple's "QuickTime" video format, now completely obsolete, that has permanently screwed up the understanding of this name.

A few years back I was at a book exchange store and they had some old video game magazines for sale and amongst these magazines were issues of an Aussie gaming mag called "HYPER". I looked through some of the issues and found a few that covered the Dreamcast. I was hoping to find something Shenmue related and I found the first ever time I saw anything Shenmue:

This is the only time I remember Shenmue being covered in any Aussie gaming magazine; the small blurb is kind of funny to read now.

Didn't Shenmue on the cover TV Guide at one time?

Back