Shenmue III Gamescom 2019 Content

It's literally seconds to fix though.
Honestly didn't notice it and I've watched the trailer at least 10 times (though I tend to speed up videos almost automatically).

What about his walk? You think they hand animated it or mocapped it? How much work to fix that you reckon? I saw they said the game was now in debugging, im guessing that means things like the walk are final and its just bugs being fixed now?

Here is the full translation of the Rocketbeans program

Gregor: "we are back here at our Rocketbeans stage live on Rocketbeans TV, this is awesome right?
i want some applause please. ... okay, thanks for the applause, otherwise it would have been really awkward.
it makes me happy that you guys are happy. i'm happy too because now i will talk to you about Shenmue 3.
you probably saw our schedule on the website and that this section was supposed to be 30 minutes long
and we had a appointment with Yu Suzuki to get a little live talk
but you have to remember that Yu Suzuki is not a young boy anymore, these events can be really stressfull,
... so sadly i think he got infected by our team member Etienne (its an inside joke because Etienne is always sick).

i hope you can understand that he had to cancel this interview. but we will still have a guest ... Simon Krätschmer!
(Gregor & Simon are big Shenmue fans, their Lets Play Shenmue playlist
is the very first Shenmue playlist you can find on Youtube)

Simon: "well what a surprise, its not like everyone already saw me because i was down there in the audience a minute ago.
sorry again to anyone who tried to ask me something, i saw how Gregor was already on the stage so i had to go.
its unacceptable that all the applause is just for him so i had to come as quick as i can.
you already explained the Yu Suzuki problem to our audience right? ...
did you know that everyone here is already talking about that? its not a joke, really, i heard it a couple of times
from different people, -Yu Suzuki has stomache problems-. at least three people told me right now that they know
that -Yu Suzuki is sick, he doesnt feel good-.
i feel really sorry for him."

Gregor: "well Simon we can still talk about Shenmue 3. i prepared a small clip that i wanted to show Yu Suzuki
for the live interview ... sadly plans have changed but we can still watch the clip.
last year i was in Dobuita, the place from Shenmue 1 and i recorded this little clip here.
(Gregor in Japan and how he uses one of the vending machines with the original Shenmue sounds added)

Simon: "wow, wonderful Gregor! that was a real clip of Shenmue 3! how did you get this footage?! (humor!)

Gregor: "Simon, were you able to check out Shenmue 3 at the E3 2019?"
Simon: "Yes."
Gregor: "i just came back from the Gamescom demo a couple of minutes ago. it was probably the same demo at E3.
we also have this new trailer, we will show it in the background while we are talking."

Simon: "so ... it starts in this really small but beautiful village where the townspeople are offering their goods
but it was a completely different place, not the one you can see in this new trailer right now.
the place in the demo is way smaller, with like one street with shops and way less people.
you were able to play games there too but it had nothing to do with the games you can see in this trailer.
and i have to say its really impressive now that i see this trailer again ... because i was a little afraid
that they will just make the same content again and again in every village or town
but as you can see in the new trailer, there is progress and there are different things in different regions."

Gregor: "okay, it sounds like we played the same demo with the small village. is this village Guilin?
i'm not 100% sure if this is just a part of Guilin or if this place is a halt in between."

Simon: "it feels like a little tutorial place, you have to get some informations and you can get them
in a lot of different ways, you can play games, you can fight ... it already has the typical Shenmue charm."

Gregor: "thats right! and it was really nice to try out everything. i was in a dojo for a fight
and it doesnt feel like in the old games, its a bit different with leveling up and you have to train way more."

Simon: "yeah and i see the comments in the chat right now, yes this game is not a AAA game,
so yes its not the best looking game of 2019. it almost looks like there is a modern emulated Dreamcast filter on top of it.
but please remember, this game has a way smaller budget than other modern open world story games.
it simply can not look like a modern AAAAAAAAA game, please understand this.

Gregor: "true true. and now that i was able to play it myself i have to say that there is a huge difference
between all the video footage and playing it yourself because you cant capture this mood or feeling in a video.
of course there are things that maybe look a bit weird like the robotic chopping wood game
but the important thing is the feeling and that its fun.
we will talk about all of this later in depth because the next section with Wasteland 3 is coming up ...
altogether i have to say the gameplay feels exactly like Shenmue ... you have some new elements
like the display for your hunger, to be honest i didnt really understand this mechanic
because you have to eat to be a better fighter? ...
we cant promise anything for Shenmue 3 here on our channel, we will see what we can do when the full game is out
but what i can say is that Simon and i will have fun with this game."

Simon: "yeah i really have to say this - we have a lot of stuff here, the newest games, the newest projects,
every publisher here wants your attention by showing the best graphics and so on.
and this is all nice and good but something like Shenmue is more special
because you dont get these kind of games anymore. not a ot of developers are allowed or have the courage
to make a game like Shenmue. i can understand that this is not the biggest hype game for every gamer here
but i still think that Shenmue 3 is worth your time, its gonna be an awesome game. please check it out."

I just want to touch upon a couple of things here, in case people get the wrong impression of Bailu Village. When he says "small", don't think this is a miniscule area. In terms of buildings and shops compared to say, Dobuita, then yes there are less. But in terms of geographical size, it would take you longer to walk from the Martial Hall, to the end of Bailu Village, than say, walking from one end of Dobuita to the other. Plus, also bear in mind that the demo has those Whats' Shenmue aspects, where further streets and paths are cut off, with Ryo automatically turning around and saying he should look for more clues. You can see more buildings and things ahead, but you will not be able to access them until the game is released. I just want to emphasise that Bailu Village... it aint small, so dont be getting disheartened! You will spend hours upon hours in it. Trust me.

One of the reasons why i say you will play it for hours is because you may possibly do what i did, and just look at everything, because… it looks so damn good! At least in my opinion! On the PC, running with not a blip and at 60fps i believe, it just looked sensational! I have no idea what he is talking about, looking like a Dreamcast filter or whatever. I spent the majority of time walking slowly, and zooming in on every item and texture i could. From the blades of grass, butterflies, tree trunks, stone walls, wooden roofs, rocks, the water, the decoration, food items such as fruit, the metal legs of the gatcha catcha machines, carpets, the sky, clouds etc….. more will come in the write up, but i mean to allude that this game more or less is a Dreamcast Shenmue 3, which just looks a bit better is a hell of a low ball.

What about his walk? You think they hand animated it or mocapped it? How much work to fix that you reckon? I saw they said the game was now in debugging, im guessing that means things like the walk are final and its just bugs being fixed now?
Guessing it's most probable it was manually animated, I just think they were trying to get the original walk.
Ryo is stiff AF and it kinda meshes well with his stoic persona.
We haven't seen much of his regular walk cycle IIRC, but I think part of the stiffness comes from using root motion and not having a turn animation, so he kinda rotates on his center while the camera rotates, maybe the blend is too subtle, but I think that they were trying to match his old animation.
Maybe. But I already said it was an animation "cheat", and nobody but us obsessives are going to notice.
It's not a "cheat" it's just an oversight, a cheat would be not pointing the camera showing it clipping (and the cheat would be from the programmers to not bother the animators).
If they know about it they can fix it fairly straight. If they care enough about it to focus on other things is another deal.

While further touch ups will inevitably happen. The game looks good to go. That trailer was phenomenal and public opinion outside of the hardcore love it.

The small things such as ryos hand going through the punch pad is something no-one other than us would ever pick up on. Thats because we watch the same trailer like a million times and over analyse every little detail. That sort of clipping happens in every game though. Saw it a ton in red dead 2.

I just want to touch upon a couple of things here, in case people get the wrong impression of Bailu Village. When he says "small", don't think this is a minI’d say Ryo having premonition dreams about Shenhua in Guilin multiple times before ever meeting her is pretty up there in mysticism, tbh.iscule area. In terms of buildings and shops compared to say, Dobuita, then yes there are less. But in terms of geographical size, it would take you longer to walk from the Martial Hall, to the end of Bailu Village, than say, walking from one end of Dobuita to the other. Plus, also bear in mind that the demo has those Whats' Shenmue aspects, where further streets and paths are cut off, with Ryo automatically turning around and saying he should look for more clues. You can see more buildings and things ahead, but you will not be able to access them until the game is released. I just want to emphasise that Bailu Village... it aint small, so dont be getting disheartened! You will spend hours upon hours in it. Trust me.

One of the reasons why i say you will play it for hours is because you may possibly do what i did, and just look at everything, because… it looks so damn good! At least in my opinion! On the PC, running with not a blip and at 60fps i believe, it just looked sensational! I have no idea what he is talking about, looking like a Dreamcast filter or whatever. I spent the majority of time walking slowly, and zooming in on every item and texture i could. From the blades of grass, butterflies, tree trunks, stone walls, wooden roofs, rocks, the water, the decoration, food items such as fruit, the metal legs of the gatcha catcha machines, carpets, the sky, clouds etc….. more will come in the write up, but i mean to allude that this game more or less is a Dreamcast Shenmue 3, which just looks a bit better is a hell of a low ball.

We know for a fact it’s not “small” due to the pieced together map as well as these areas which we have all seen in some form

The creek
Shenhua’s house
The tower
The market
The cave
The training area
The arcade/store
The road with the gambling stalls

Also there are areas in Bailu where you can pick herbs.

All of these and more are in Bailu, from the map Bailu itself looks about 5x bigger than Shenmue 1’s Sakuragaosa and significantly bigger than Dobuita.

There is an argument to be made as to if it is empty or not. It’s a rural village in 80s Guilin, China, there’s a lot of greenery, and nature and not a lot of man made landmarks, and there’s only a few people that make a really close and sheltered community that most residents probably haven’t ever left in their lives, so it obviously is gonna feel sort of empty. Empty is not small though, and not necessarily a bad thing either depending on the context.

@Peter

you have to remember that only Gregor saw the Gamescom demo,
Simon only played at E3 so two months ago and just the 15 minute version.
and if you watch their whole Gamescom show, you can see that they constantly have to run around
because every 30-60 minutes is a new presentation or game session
and on top of that they had something completely different planned for Shenmue 3
and they had to improvise. thats why they are talking all over the place with some random comments from the live chat.
the whole 8 minute segment had nothing to with what they had originally planned for the 30 minutes program.
this is was just the best they were able to do in ths time frame.

It's not a "cheat" it's just an oversight, a cheat would be not pointing the camera showing it clipping.
If they know about it they can fix it fairly straight. If they care enough about it to focus on other things is another deal.
Ah c'mon, leaving one or two frames of clipping in a fast-moving animation is a cheat; even if it's one in the most minor of ways. They know it's there, they just don't think anybody but us crazies will know or care, and they're right.

Could be argued it's a leftover from when they weren't checking the animation so strictly, but I dunno. We already saw how that looked in the extended Gamescom 2017 video, and in the pre-Alpha Ryo's fists were miles away from connecting with the pads. Maybe they'll fix it, maybe they won't, but it's undeniable there are probably better things to work on in the time left.

The small things such as ryos hand going through the punch pad is something no-one other than us would ever pick up on. Thats because we watch the same trailer like a million times and over analyse every little detail. That sort of clipping happens in every game though. Saw it a ton in red dead 2.

Perhaps you’re right. Having worked in television I’ve trained my eyes to pick out dodgy frames and black frames between clips (of which there are also a few), but it seems like for casual viewers it’s not that noticeable.

That said, I would still have expected an editor to notice it and either touch up the effected frames or cut them entirely from the video. I get that time may not have allowed for the former, but the latter could have been done in less than a minute.

All in all though, it’s pretty inconsequential.

I am casual viewer and I cannot see the glitch at all at normal speed. Never noticed it when I did not know it was there and even did not notice it when I knew it was there.

Always thought that tomboz must have some special skills which he just confirmed in the previous post.

Ah c'mon, leaving one or two frames of clipping in a fast-moving animation is a cheat; even if it's one in the most minor of ways. They know it's there, they just don't think anybody but us crazies will know or care, and they're right.
I'm saying it's just an oversight because fixing it would take very little effort.
I honestly don't think they saw it and said "good enough", which can also be true, but I do really lean towards they just didn't see it.

I am casual viewer and I cannot see the glitch at all at normal speed. Never noticed it when I did not know it was there and even did not notice it when I knew it was there.

Always thought that tomboz must have some special skills which he just confirmed in the previous post.
Haha. My old station manager is the one with special skills. He used to go absolutely nuts if one of my journalists left any black frames in their news packages and would blame me for letting them slip past me. At first, I was completely oblivious and couldn’t work out how he’d spotted them, but after you’ve received a few bollockings for something, you learn to pay more attention. At the time I absolutely hated that guy, but his attention to detail ended up rubbing off on me and has proven useful in the years since.

OnFQ65J.jpg

I need someone to help me make sense of this.

Isn’t this highlighted area supposed to be water? It can’t really be a wall as there are boats flat on top of it but it looks so flat that it can’t be water, there’s zero waves or anything either, Ryo and Ren are obviously on a dock. Is it just a glitch where the water doesn’t show and it just shows a flat texture or am I missing something ? Viewing it on like a 4.5 inch screen so it’s really hard to tell.

OnFQ65J.jpg

I need someone to help me make sense of this.

Isn’t this highlighted area supposed to be water? It can’t really be a wall as there are boats flat on top of it but it looks so flat that it can’t be water, there’s zero waves or anything either, Ryo and Ren are obviously on a dock. Is it just a glitch where the water doesn’t show and it just shows a flat texture or am I missing something ? Viewing it on like a 4.5 inch screen so it’s really hard to tell.
Compression, and there are rivers that doesn't have to wavw, but I think that in that case is a YouTube compression thing

The water was the most disturbing thing with the lack of shaders in the eye balls and the dried clothes. I don't think the final version will be similar.

The water was already downgraded in the past but I have hopes that Shenmue 3 set on ultra settings on PC will allow us to play the original experience.

Compression, and there are rivers that doesn't have to wavw, but I think that in that case is a YouTube compression thing
But this looks like the same area or very close to the area of the previous screenshot of Ren looking out on the pier, it’s obviously the same body of water, and it had depth and waves before. I think shaders are definitely a factor but I also think it’s a glitch as well where the water is just a texture. I’m not saying it’s a problem or anything to be concerned about and I don’t think it’s a downgrade either. It’s just kinda funny is all. xD

Could be DOF blur combined with the acute angle combined with video compression. Or it could be unfinished. It's pretty hard to tell.

I don't think this is a "PS4 version will have terrible water compared to PC" scenario.

As for Ryo walking, it looks more natural than the original games in my opinion. It actually reminds me a lot of Kazuma's walk. Kinda stiff, but not as robotic/just shat my pants as the original games.

Back