Shenmue III - Fighting Talk (Non-Spoiler)

Ok i managed to beat the last dojo guy on hard with elbow counter and leg kick.
I did it with the bait method and then tried to backup immediately
but still sometimes i got stuck in a loop where he wouldnt stop attacking and i couldnt dodge that often
or where he immediately blocked my elbow attack although he was still in a attack animation.
A couple of times he even stood completely open with his back to me and he still managed to block my attack
because his block animation turned his body to Ryo's direction immediately ...
So its still kind of wonky in terms of hitboxes and animations but i beat him.

I was having a tough time beating him when my Attack level was 8, but as soon as it got to 9 I beat him first go with a combo of Elbow Assault and Ground Kick.

Ok I figured out the mapping Tekken logic.
Y: High punch
B: Low punch
X: High kick
A: Low kick

So the combos make generally sense. My defensive skill is still incredibly bad despite having chosen Normal mode.

Battle system is very basic guys, if you have the required kung fu level for that fight you will win, or else you gonna 100% lose as there aren’t any proper ways to counter moves or evade, aside from the simple step back.

There’s no doubt imo that Yu had other priorities to get right during development, given that he had to deal with a tight budget...

I’ve pulled off a counter with Counter Elbow Assault. The game slows down and does a special animation. I’ve only gotten it to work once though.

I’ve also found that you can side step out of the way of an attack by a combination of a direction + the X button.

I’ve pulled off a counter with Counter Elbow Assault. The game slows down and does a special animation. I’ve only gotten it to work once though.

I’ve also found that you can side step out of the way of an attack by a combination of a direction + the X button.
You need to have low HP to pull this off to activate the slow time event.

Man I just sat down to play Shen 3 with the 3rd difficulty option (can't remember the name) and I can see how reviewing it is tougher than it looks at first glance. I'm sorry guys but I wouldn't rate it greater than 8/10 myself, I thought the combat system was interesting in the demo but the first and second story fights leaves its issues wide open. It's basically a question of having leveled up enough or not, and it felt like a button masher all the way through, as in it didn't matter what move I did, but how fast I could alternate between them.

Maybe it will get better later on and with more moves/mastery but this is a terrible first impression, and makes me miss Shenmue 1's combat and counter moves. If this doesn't get any better I'm probably going to switch to easy and be done with it.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the fighting in this game at all. I've actually debated switching to easy, because it feels like all I'm doing is grinding for endurance until I can take enough punches to survive through the fight.

It feels like roaming around for a million random battles in an RPG just to level up, and detracts from my trying to enjoy the story and the investigative side of things.

If you feel like your grinding and it's affecting your enjoyment of the game. Maybe try balancing your daily activities a bit. To avoid burning out Structure your day so you do a bit of endurance training, some sparring, some shopping, cut some logs, do some fishing, try to increase your hard earned money via some mini games, get a few capsule toys (aim to get full sets and don't worry too much about repeats as you can sell them off at a pawn shop and recoup some of the money you spent on them), collect some herbs, buy a new Skill move when yu have enough money (as this is a major investment in ryos training), play a few arcades, do a bit of the story, talk to shenuhua, sleep. Take your time and edge away at the story slowly all whilst building developing your character.

Since I've had shenmue 3, I've realised that this is not a game that you play, but rather a game that you live.

If you feel like your grinding and it's affecting your enjoyment of the game. Maybe try balancing your daily activities a bit. To avoid burning out Structure your day so you do a bit of endurance training, some sparring, some shopping, cut some logs, do some fishing, try to increase your hard earned money via some mini games, get a few capsule toys (aim to get full sets and don't worry too much about repeats as you can sell them off at a pawn shop and recoup some of the money you spent on them), collect some herbs, buy a new Skill move when yu have enough money (as this is a major investment in ryos training), play a few arcades, do a bit of the story, talk to shenuhua, sleep. Take your time and edge away at the story slowly all whilst building developing your character.

I was already doing one each of Horse Stance, One Inch Punch, and sparring every day. Once I had to fight the thugs, I needed another ENTIRE DAY of training to get up to being able to barely beat them.

Also, please don't patronise me by telling me how to play Shenmue. I know how to play the fucking game.

I was already doing one each of Horse Stance, One Inch Punch, and sparring every day. Once I had to fight the thugs, I needed another ENTIRE DAY of training to get up to being able to barely beat them.

Also, please don't patronise me by telling me how to play Shenmue. I know how to play the fucking game.
Sorry didn't intend to come across patronising. Just thought I'd offer a suggestion to help make the game feel less grindy hence the reason I prefixed the suggestions with the word maybe after the first sentence of my post. Anyhow enjoy the game.

I don't think it came off as patronising, I kind of felt the same about the fighting and reading the post, I think even sometimes I need to realize not to rush the Story and what made the original games Shenmue were engaging in different activities. I think the person replying to you was just giving some tips to help enjoy the experience.

I just really wish that people could spell patronizing.

No offence, I know you literally just said "don't patronise me", but it's pretty easy to beat those thugs with minimal grinding.

I've had a bad first impression about the combat system, but it grew exponentially on me after getting accustomed to the timing.
It's simpler than what we saw in S1 and S2 but I see a a more than reasonable amount of work put into it. I was expecting the combat system to be pretty bad and the music to be very good and by surprise it turned out to be the exact opposite, at least in my opinion.

There are a lot of combinations using the "normal" moves (ABXY), a good variety of "special" attacks, and what I would define as the two staples of that combat system, which to me are the jab (which starts most combos) and the dash in the 4 directions, are very responsive and allow the player to get in and out of range with way more precision than I initially tought.

I'm playing 99% of the game at "Hardest" but I'm constantly getting and maxing out new technique books, quite time consuming.
Not 100% because a QTE based section (THE FUCKING CHIKENS) had me going from "Hardest" straight to "Easy" in order to calm down and resist the urge to set the entire Bailu Village aflame.

Last edited:
Man, others brought it up, but that second fight with the big thug with the mullet is cheap as fuck. I was easily kicking his ass and he'd barely gotten a move on me and then just as I was about to beat him it cuts to that cutscene with Ryo looking all beaten up and then of course he annihilates Ryo. What the fuck? I could have taken him, Yu!

Man, others brought it up, but that second fight with the big thug with the mullet is cheap as fuck. I was easily kicking his ass and he'd barely gotten a move on me and then just as I was about to beat him it cuts to that cutscene with Ryo looking all beaten up and then of course he annihilates Ryo. What the fuck? I could have taken him, Yu!
I can understand your pain from a game design point of view, but given Shenmue is the story of 18-year-old Ryo becoming a kung fu bad ass instead of just being one he's going to have to lose some fights.

If what Reprise said is true, they should have at least made two sorts of cutscenes. For instance, if you beat him, the villain eventually throws sand to Ryo's eyes to escape.

Shenmue is not intended to be an RPG but a bit more of rolism would defo make the game better and satisfying.

It’s a bit like in S2 when you get jumped by 100’s of guys in Beverly Hills Wharf, if your moves are advanced enough you can easily keep them off your back but the screen just browns out and they kick your ass regardless.

They should have made it like Chai Fight in Shenmue I where you can win if you skilled enough and get different scene.

Back