Shenmue III cover art on German Amazon

Compare it to this one from July 23rd 2018 Kickstarter update.

72ca8373a797ad46bd2a4a87a6529b12_original.jpg

It's clearly older than this one but that being said a 2017 build with NPCs wondering about is quite impressive.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that new screenshot isn't as old as Gamescom 2017, but isn't hot off the presses either? The lighting is a bit more reminiscent of how the game looked when we saw brief clips of the Alpha in May.

Hope this stays under the radar. Kind of worried news outlets may use this to tarnish the upcoming Magic.

Hope this stays under the radar. Kind of worried news outlets may use this to tarnish the upcoming Magic.
Why? Is it the screenshot or the cover art?

I mean I think the cover art is probably placeholder regardless because it doesn't have the proper ratings logo on it yet, but the screen is interesting at least.

Why? Is it the screenshot or the cover art?

I mean I think the cover art is probably placeholder regardless because it doesn't have the proper ratings logo on it yet, but the screen is interesting at least.

The screenshot. News outlets are desperate enough for click$ to post something like ‘New Shenmue 3 Screenshot Leaked’ and confuse readers into thinking that 2017 imagery is from the upcoming MAGIC 2019 World Premiere.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that new screenshot isn't as old as Gamescom 2017, but isn't hot off the presses either? The lighting is a bit more reminiscent of how the game looked when we saw brief clips of the Alpha in May.
Going with that theory they've jumped quite a bit in terms of quality to the July 2018 pic. Is it me or is Ryos head a bit big in the Amazon screen haha. @orient beat me to the punch there!

The screenshot. News outlets are desperate enough for click$ to post something like ‘New Shenmue 3 Screenshot Leaked’ and confuse readers into thinking that 2017 imagery is from the upcoming 2019 Magic World Premiere.

The screen could see a few dodgy articles but given most have stayed quite quiet with the recent turn in models I'd suggest they will likely stay low key.

Going with that theory they've jumped quite a bit in terms of quality to the July 2018 pic. Is it me or is Ryos head a bit big in the Amazon screen haha. @orient beat me to the punch there!

The screen could see a few dodgy articles but given most have stayed quite quiet with the recent turn in models I'd suggest they will likely stay low key.

I hope so, but isn’t this the first imagery with NPC’s? If so, that raises the odds of misreporting. Again, I hope not, but I wouldn’t bet against it.

The screenshot. News outlets are desperate enough for click$ to post something like ‘New Shenmue 3 Screenshot Leaked’ and confuse readers into thinking that 2017 imagery is from 2019’s Magic Reveal.
Fair enough. I would hope they wouldn't get in a stir over a low res sliver of a screenshot from an Amazon listing, but you never know really.

I don't see anything too bad about the screen personally, it's not particularly staged the best, but in terms of detail and lighting it's looking really vibrant and colourful.

Going with that theory they've jumped quite a bit in terms of quality to the July 2018 pic. Is it me or is Ryos head a bit big in the Amazon screen haha.
It's perspective warp because of the camera angle.

I hope so, but isn’t this the first imagery with NPC’s? If so, that raises the odds of misreporting. Again, I hope not, but I wouldn’t bet against it.
It does but given the recent quality it is shooting in the dark to report this as a current build. As Spags said above they'd be clutching at straws reporting on this.

It's perspective warp because of the camera angle.

Ah ok cool. I did have a laugh at it mind

Actually, I'm not sure it's because of the camera angle now. It might be the FOV (field of view) settings in whatever image capture tool they're using within UE4?
Could be, though I know bugger all about UE4 tbh. As you said the lighting looks nice and seeing NPC's in a cityscape is promising even if the shot is random given it's something we've never seen before.

On a side note I like the placeholder art actually. With the new Ryo model it would look quite nice.

Ryo has pores.

JA-HAYZUS.

Plastic no more.

I'm really starting to admire this team for what they've done.

Bring on that trailer.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about negative news stories relating to random screenshots. "New Shenmue screenshot" has been done to death and usually only makes it to lesser known VG sites at this point. Wait for the trailer.

I have some minor beef with the cover art, although I'm 99.9% sure it's a placeholder for the moment. It's just a bit, well, uncreative. It doesn't say very much about the game either.

Again though, I'm absolutely convinced it's placeholder for now. The art has shown up before in a German magazine back in December. There's an image floating around but I can't quite find it, but it's the same as what's shown up on the Amazon listing. I think generally the listing has been cobbled together from whatever assets Koch Media had lying on the server, which has resulted in an unreleased screenshot of unknown age showing up with it.

Could be, though I know bugger all about UE4 tbh. As you said the lighting looks nice and seeing NPC's in a cityscape is promising even if the shot is random given it's something we've never seen before.
I'm not super familiar with UE4 either, I'm just assuming based on how photo modes have FOV sliders. I would assume capture tools for developers have that function.

I really like the screenshot, even though Ryo seems to be from an earlier build. It all looks so charming, alive and very Shenmue.
Cover is a place holder for sure.

Back