Shenmue II Mods with issues

Heya everyone,
So i've been playing around with Shenmue II modded using the sames mods as shown in the Dojo video last week.
I'm near the end of Disc 3 and i've ran into various issues with the mods mainly 02-Env texture pack for Shenmue II and Nero's 16:9 .exe patch
I do have the mipmap patch installed.
I've screens shots of issues i've had and fixed.

So the issues in Huangs place on the door and Joy's face and the wrong textures on the yellowhead building and tea break building sign where fixed when using the mipmaps patch

The messed up face on the women next to the fortune teller in the moon child building was fixed by removing nero's 16:9 .exe patch I did use both settings provided to remove the black bars and the photo icon.

The face texture on the guy in the don nyu fight I didn't have the chance to test what exactly caused the issue or what happened to the textures in room 503 when learning the move with the not so blind man, But the messed up Greg Moore area in the Blue Dragon area was caused by 02-Env texture pack, or at least it went away when removing the pack, Maybe it was a memory address error from special k, Not sure.

Here's a screen shot of the mods I have installed
Special k mipmaps and Shenmue I & II Widescreen Patcher are sitting in a other folder but I can assure you they are\where installed, as I said I did remove the widescreen patch and replaced the .exe with the original and the mipmaps patch is still installed the pictures are taken in order as the issues happened as I continued with the story.

Let me know if anyone else has had these issues or similar issues with other mods.
I got my mods from nexus mods and took the latest versions that where up for each and went for more less the same as Peter in the Shenmue dojo video.
Not using Reshade which you can probably tell from the images.

Anyway let me know what you's think and what your experiences have been like if you's have played around with any of the mods.

Michael

Last edited:
Special k is most likely the problem here, try removing it and see if it works.

Wait you're saying that you used the mipmap pack on Shenmue 2? Well then there's the problem, that mipmap pack is made for Shenmue 1 only. Just delete the MipmapCache folder and you should be fine.

OK so while testing again now with the mipmaps patch removed still with the widescreen .exe patch by nero removed.
I have found this issue at the flower bird game in kowloon next to ren's hide out. one of the kanji textures is messed up with a hand texture from someone.
Edit it's the kanji for flower that was replaced. Found this out while winning the bet after the screen shot.
花

Update:
I tried disabling the Textures cache setting and that has fixed the issue this time :) ( Thanks Peter for the suggestion ;) )

Update 2: with the texture cache setting disabled Shenmue II is now hanging on loading and then dying and creating a Shenmue.dmp file for the d3t

Update 3: Turning the texture cache setting back on in the customdxgi.ini the game doesn't crash anymore but the wrong texture isn't showing up anymore in the flower bird wind etc game or on the lucky hit stand of the 3 game rigged women just before the thousand white qt I didn't screen shot that issue.
But seeing how the game doesn't crash now and the wrong textures aren't showing up again, this seems to be a random issue that isn't repeatable but likely to happen randomly and get worse over long play times.
One thing i'm trying at the moment is editing the dxgi.ini with my own memory settings based off my graphics card and speculation.

[Textures.Cache]
AllowUnsafeRefCounting=true
MaxEntries=65536
MinEntries=512
MaxEvict=1024
MinEvict=64
MaxSizeInMiB=8192
MinSizeInMiB=2048
IgnoreNonMipmapped=false
AllowStaging=false
ManageResidency=true

I changed the "MaxSizeInMiB=8192" to match my card and increased the "MinSizeInMiB=2048" from 384 based on the idea that since the texture packs are higher resolution than the Dreamcast\xbox original this may help the game engine out since it probably is still optimizing to Dreamcast\xbox standards.

Update 4: Demon Don Ni Yu

Attachments

• 20190406220510_1.jpg
    20190406220510_1.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20190406221309_1.jpg
    20190406221309_1.jpg
    590 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
At this point I have no idea what you could do. The only explanation I can come up with is that Special K is applying the cached textures in the wrong places, you could disable the mipmap caching from the .ini file but unfortunately the setting keeps reverting back to default no matter what you do :hmm:
Special K has been very problematic recently at least for Shenmue, and the creator doesn't seem to have any intentions in fixing it. Truly a shame.

Last edited:
Yeah that's what I was thinking Special K was doing. Well with the 02_Env mod removed it doesn't happen anywhere near as ofter obviously because there is less textures to be miss placed.
I did have this issue though which makes special k maybe more alarming. This dude when going to get the elevator key looked to be wearing a mask, The reason it makes it a little alarming is because i'm sure his asset has been misplaced even though it's not a modded texture meaning normal assets may get mixed up the odd time too.
But with out the 02_Env file and the other mods in place i'm happy enough to carry out playing with what i've got :)

Update: More mess ups.

Attachments

• 20190407001104_1.jpg
    20190407001104_1.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
As Kaldaien suggested me in his official post: https://steamcommunity.com/app/758330/discussions/0/1735462352482702818/?ctp=32#c1770385542780500418 (message 474), use the last version of SpecialK (v 0.10). According to my experience this version doesn't misplace the textures.
You will find an attachment to the newer version from Kaldaien in the offical post that I've linked.

A word of advice for this tool. As it has been discussed in the official post, unless you disable Mipmapgeneration, SpecialK creates mipmaps for every texture (thanks to that the textures are smoothed and no pixelated in the distance). So, the first time that the texture is loaded in memory you will see artifacts or dark colours in it. Don't worry, next time you start the game the texture will appear correctly without dark surfaces.

Copy/paste from the official post:

• The first time you enter an area or meet an NPC you may find the textures are completely black

• If that happens, exit the game at your earliest convenience and the fully mipmapped texture will be loaded from disk the next time you encounter that NPC.

@Streamer Heya Last night I downloaded the version from the link you provided it wasn't V0.10 but V0.9.2*. something and I can't find a version 0.10 anywhere.
But the version in the pack still had issues I didn't take anymore pictures at the time as I needed to hurry up and finish the yellowhead building for the night and get to bed as I had work this morning.
If you can provide a direct link to version 0.10 that'd be great because when googling special k v0.10 I just get links to a build intended for some other games tales or something even then it's version 0.10.1 etc not 0.10.0

I should add that when incorrect textures did show up closing and restarting the game in the area where the problem was it was corrected but when saving and exiting to the menu and loading back in the wrong textures still remained, this happened at the top of the yellow head in the hall way, I even loaded back to a save in ren's hideout then back to menu then back to the other save in hall way. Only closing the game and opening again fixed the textures.

The D3D11.dll and Specialk64.pdb files from one of the packages in the link you shared also caused the game not to launch
that was this download "Special K Sekiro_HDR10.7z" it clearly was trying to do something since the game responded to it negatively by failing to launch then crashing back to smlauncher.exe and trying again resulted in not being able to end process on shenmue2.exe for a while.

anyway

Thanks for all the help :)

Last edited:
@Streamer Heya Last night I downloaded the version from the link you provided it wasn't V0.10 but V0.9.2*. something and I can't find a version 0.10 anywhere.
But the version in the pack still had issues I didn't take anymore pictures at the time as I needed to hurry up and finish the yellowhead building for the night and get to bed as I had work this morning.
If you can provide a direct link to version 0.10 that'd be great because when googling special k v0.10 I just get links to a build intended for some other games tales or something even then it's version 0.10.1 etc not 0.10.0

I should add that when incorrect textures did show up closing and restarting the game in the area where the problem was it was corrected but when saving and exiting to the menu and loading back in the wrong textures still remained, this happened at the top of the yellow head in the hall way, I even loaded back to a save in ren's hideout then back to menu then back to the other save in hall way. Only closing the game and opening again fixed the textures.

The D3D11.dll and Specialk64.pdb files from one of the packages in the link you shared also caused the game not to launch
that was this download "Special K Sekiro_HDR10.7z" it clearly was trying to do something since the game responded to it negatively by failing to launch then crashing back to smlauncher.exe and trying again resulted in not being able to end process on shenmue2.exe for a while.

anyway

Thanks for all the help :)
Yes, the file you have to download is called Special K Sekiro_HDR10.7z. You must delete the previous version of Special K installed in the Shenmue folder or the game will crash at the start.
I only had to remove dxgi.dll and dxgi.pdb from the old Special K versions, copy both files from the newer version (d3d11.dll and Specialk64.pdb) and it worked:

9667CF2100869A8ED2FA971364B87DB17AC69C51

Heya thanks again for getting back to me @Streamer That's what I did actually when I got it and I tried again just before writing this message.
I actually deleted all the mods because of a repeatable problem that started happening to me last night.
I deleted the 02_env mod today before launching and deleted all the other generated folders other than SKpaks archives screenshots and then all the loose dll's etc next to the .exe and made steam re-acquire them then I had the same crash during the "crag" area with Shenhua.
The crash I was getting was a out of memory windows error from "Shenmue2.exe"
The problem was so annoying that I decided I've had enough messing about with mods for now and I just wanted to get my cleared save file for Shenmue III
And the most annoying part of it is when it first happened I hadn't saved meaning I had to start disc 4 again
Then it crashed again when I got to Crag again but I had saved earlier but had to still do about another 20-30minutes (no skipping voice) then of course it crashed again in the same spot so I had to start again from my last save
But this time I had to do something I don't like doing which is to skip voice and back out from the locked walk with Shenhua and save on the walk into Crag with Shenhua and save which results in Ryo asking Shenhua where is the cave etc.

Anyway though I may muck with it again later but for now I just want to finish Shenmue II

One thing I should point out is system specs and os settings
Ram: 24GB
Pagefile: System Managed across all drives

Even though I had already ran Memtest 86+ on my ram when I got it I did it again over night when I went to bed last night due to the repeatable crashes, and it passed 2 times fully which consists of multiple tests and was continuing on with a 3rd pass.

Last edited:
I wouldn't rule out transferable saves. Unless Yu Suzuki confirms it himself that they're not doing it, And it needs to be from a interview after the 21st August 2018 when the re-releases came out.
But considering he has stated that the main development of Shenmue III was finished towards the end of 2018 the main development team has essentially 1year&6days to implement basic transfer of story items that can go unused again in Shenmue III like Shenmue II (white leaf, mysterious scroll) and feature them in Shenmue IV&V properly maybe later than intended in the story arc, But you could get a game date, money, capsule toys photo choice of Nozomi all the basics no problem.
All this is very doable.

I'd guess it'll be a a patch or free DLC pack-in. If not, then no big loss.

Back