Shenmue II cutscenes crashing and controller issues

Hi all,
I'm a big fan of the Shenmue series and played it during the Dreamcast era. Then, this week, I decided to replay this amazing game in a PC version, however, I'm facing some issues.
Following I describe both issues:

1. The first one is a non-deterministic error. Sometimes it happens, sometimes not. While I'm playing, during the beginning of a cutscene, the system slows down, the Shenmue II task starts to use a lot of processing resources, and finally the application crashes.
    I tried several solutions: forcing the system to use the dedicated NVidia GPU, using the Intel ones, and applied the patch to remove the 4:3 ratio, but nothing has changed.
    To ensure I will not lose my progress, I try to save the game before the cutscene and pray to it works.
  2. The second issue is really strange. I have an 8bitdo SN30 pro+ controller and have configured it on the Steam application. However, the configuration I select before starting the game is not applied (I'm using the controller as a Switch one), and if I press the inventory, the both right and left analogic stop working. This one does not bore me so much, as the game is still playable even facing that issue.
I tried to find both issues in the forum and on the internet, but I was not able to have success. My specs are a Windows 10, Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, and GPU NVIDIA GeForce 940MX.

Hey, welcome to the forums!

I can't offer you any solid advice on your first issue, but I may be able to help with the controller stuff.

Shenmue's PC port uses some weird custom Steam Input templates which don't play nice with any controllers that aren't Xbox. You can fix this by opening the Steam overlay while the game is running, clicking controller configuration, and changing the template from D3T's official layout to the generic 'Gamepad' template:

index.php

You might actually find that this helps with the crashes too come to think of it. I recall, the game would sometimes freeze on me when using a Dualsense before I applied this fix. Fingers crossed!

Sorry for bumping this topic, but I'm trying to get my Switch Pro Controller running and it seems this fix isn't working. I set the configuration to joypad and suddenly the game won't recognize the controller. Any ideas?

Sorry for bumping this topic, but I'm trying to get my Switch Pro Controller running and it seems this fix isn't working. I set the configuration to joypad and suddenly the game won't recognize the controller. Any ideas?
My cheap (5€) gamepad acted similar and the old Alt+Tab did the work.

My cheap (5€) gamepad acted similar and the old Alt+Tab did the work.
That doesn't seem to be helping either. The only config that will accept any input is the Xbox config, and if I press the inventory button the game crashes.

That doesn't seem to be helping either. The only config that will accept any input is the Xbox config, and if I press the inventory button the game crashes.
Are you executing the game through the launcher or directly from the game binary? Sadly I can't give you less vage answer as it has been a long time since my last pc port playthrough. But I remember sorting few issues by ignoring the launcher and fiddling with the config file instead. Also PcGamingWiki may have a solution working for you. Good luck!
Please, remember to post here if you find a workaround.

Back