Shenmue II acts weird when I install Special K.

Favourite title
Shenmue II
Whenever I copy the Vanilla Special K into the Shenmue 2 folder, I get constant crashes before even getting to the start screen. When I manage to get to the start screen, the Phoenix and Dragon mirror animation has the same texture as the bag in the image and when I press New Game, I get this before the cutscene starts and the watch is also textured like this.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Link to image: Link to mod I used: https://steamcommunity.com/app/758330/discussions/0/1735462352482702818/

@LemonHaze any advice here?
Based on the post here I don't think that @LemonHaze wants people using SpecialK:

Last edited:
Based on the post here I don't @LemonHaze wants people using SpecialK:

The thing is I had no texture mods before hand, it was just this, the better quality launcher music, Ner0's 16:9 patcher, Forklift and the audio restoration project.

The order I install in:
Better quality launcher music
Then Ner0's 16:9 patcher
Then Forklift
Then the Audio Resoration project
Then finally Special K.

I tested them one by one and after install launched and it was working perfectly until Special K.

Last edited:
You are definitely advised to steer clear from SpecialK as much as you possibly can. I've even contacted Streamer2k (who is working on texture replacements) to start using proper methods. By the sounds of it, you don't need SpecialK at all. Just install everything else via Forklift and you should be ok.

You are definitely advised to steer clear from SpecialK as much as you possibly can. I've even contacted Streamer2k (who is working on texture replacements) to start using proper methods. By the sounds of it, you don't need SpecialK at all. Just install everything else via Forklift and you should be ok.

Okay, I see. Thank you very much for your help.

@Streamer 's texture work is phenomenal! Cannot wait to see the finished mod. I think they're a decent amount into Yokosuka (EDIT totally forgot about the June status update!!). Shen2 will be much more massive, although it has better textures inherently, and more urban buildings than foliage, so except for Guilin maybe it won't be so tough (or even necessary)?

My next mac mini I'm eyeing will definitely have a BootCamp partition for Windows 10/Steam to play Shenmue HD. Lost interest in Alienware's Steambox when I realized I should get around to upgrading my macintosh.

Last edited:
Back