Shenmue I Re-Release 16:9 Cutscenes Fix

Unfortunately, this patch does not work either. The game is legally bought on Steam.
There seems to be something wrong with either your system or the file itself.
Can you zip that executable and share it here through some file sharing site?

This is the SHA-1 checksum from an original Steam executable from v1.07: 8d78635639af929045e97ad1ad0f1d9e11a5073b

If nothing else, maybe you have some sandbox or A/V software blocking the patchers, I tested it on mine and works fine.
Try copying the executable to the desktop and apply the patch there, if it works then copy it back to the install folder by overwriting the original.

ss.png

Last edited:
There seems to be something wrong with either your system or the file itself.
Can you zip that executable and share it here through some file sharing site?

This is the SHA-1 checksum from an original Steam executable from v1.07: 8d78635639af929045e97ad1ad0f1d9e11a5073b

If nothing else, maybe you have some sandbox or A/V software blocking the patchers, I tested it on mine and works fine.
Try copying the executable to the desktop and apply the patch there, if it works then copy it back to the install folder by overwriting the original.

View attachment 6736
My System Windows 10 Home 64 bit PL
Processor Intel Core i3 3220 3.30 GHz
RAM 8 GB
Graphics Card GTX 660
I don't have any antivirus programs. As I wrote, the problem concerns only Shenmue 1. To Shenmue 2 there were no problems.

Attachments

• Shenmue.zip
    4 MB · Views: 29
My System Windows 10 Home 64 bit PL
Processor Intel Core i3 3220 3.30 GHz
RAM 8 GB
Graphics Card GTX 660
I don't have any antivirus programs. As I wrote, the problem concerns only Shenmue 1. To Shenmue 2 there were no problems.
Your file is correct so it should work.
I have also tried the first patcher that you mentioned, from masterchan777, and actually it also did not work for me either - showing several errors with the following message: Can't find pattern! Trying next one...
This is very strange that it doesn't even work for me, and I made sure that the Shenmue.exe file (attached above) is the original untouched v1.07 and also that the patcher is supposedly the last and correct version (Shenmue-GHexFix7.exe):
Shenmue 16:9 Widescreen Generic Hex Fix v7
Compatible with v1.00 up to v1.07

That being said, I tried the second patcher, which worked fine for me using your file.

Last edited:
@Emhyr800 I have an idea of what can possibly be wrong, but I would need your help to be sure if that is the issue. I've made a modified version of the patcher so that it shows some info before it fails, can you please try it and tell me what happens?

NOTE: Remember to apply the patch on the original executable, not one already patched.

Last edited:
@Emhyr800 I have an idea of what can possibly be wrong, but I would need your help to be sure if that is the issue.
I've attached a slightly modified version of the patcher so that it shows some info before it fails, can you please try it and tell me what happens?

Use the attached version of the patch and then paste here a screenshot of the console window.

NOTE: Remember to apply the patch on the original executable, not one already patched.

1578061459701.png

Thank you very much ! Finally everything works and there are no black bars on the sides of the screen. It is a pity that there are very few Shenmue fans in Poland.

Thank you very much ! Finally everything works and there are no black bars on the sides of the screen. It is a pity that there are very few Shenmue fans in Poland.
You know what, I'm glad that it worked this time.
What is strange is that I only added 2 lines to show some information about the patching process, and I was expecting it to fail again but with some clues why, I literally did not change anything that could have fixed whatever made it fail before. Anyway, it worked and that is what counts.

You know what, I'm glad that it worked this time.
What is strange is that I only added 2 lines to show some information about the patching process, and I was expecting it to fail again but with some clues why, I literally did not change anything that could have fixed whatever made it fail before. Anyway, it worked and that is what counts.

I have a slightly different question now. How do you force Shenmue 1 to work Special K to modify the game? Immediately after uploading the files, the game does not respond and does not start at all. Shenmue 1 has probably the most problems since Shenmue 2 because in Shenmue 2 Special K it works grrr .....

I have a slightly different question now. How do you force Shenmue 1 to work Special K to modify the game? Immediately after uploading the files, the game does not respond and does not start at all. Shenmue 1 has probably the most problems since Shenmue 2 because in Shenmue 2 Special K it works grrr .....
I don't know anything about how SpecialK works, in fact I hate SpecialK... it's an abhorarnt way of modding games when there are better and more stable alternatives like the mod loader called Forklift, but unfortunately there are very few mods for it. For example, for environment textures you have this one: Streamer2k Textures - Better Textures for Shenmue v2.1 (Native mod)

Anyway, please use another thread for further talk about that topic, this one is reserved to the widescreen mod.

Sorry for replying so late to this post but about the Shenmue II patch, aren't the cutscenes already letterboxed and pillarboxed into a 16:9 aspect ratio? Doesn't that mean finding a way to zoom in till the image fits into the screen boundaries be the true 16:9 cutscenes? I say this because as a result of eliminating the borders, there are some clipping and popping in and out issues in some cutscenes.

To sum it up, is it possible to get rid of the boundaries and zoom in till it matches the original 16:9 display boundaries of cutscenes, an example can be the MGS HD collection where the letterboxes can be disabled and then it is zoomed in for true 16:9 (The cutscenes in the original were letterboxed 16:9)

To sum it up, is it possible to get rid of the boundaries and zoom in till it matches the original 16:9 display boundaries of cutscenes, an example can be the MGS HD collection where the letterboxes can be disabled and then it is zoomed in for true 16:9 (The cutscenes in the original were letterboxed 16:9)
The way it works in Shenmue II would make that very awkward. MGS2 and MGS3's cutscenes are distinct from the gameplay and you can do it there without any impact. But Shenmue 2 switches aspect ratios on the fly during interactive cutscenes. For example, consider the Wong chase at the beginning of the game: (This is the first YouTube video of it that I could find)
The scene switches aspect ratios between double-letterboxed 16x9, 4x3 and full 16x9 multiple times in the span of 90 seconds, sometimes with a smooth transition and others with a hard cut. If you smoothly zoom and unzoom when the bars are going up and down, that is going to obviously look like a zoom.

Anything is possible including what you suggested, although dynamic zooming isn't as straightforward as one of these patches that just unlocks the letterbox. Even if someone did it, I'm not sure if it would be possible to make it look good without doing it on a case-by-case basis. That's a lot of work.

Sorry for replying so late to this post but about the Shenmue II patch, aren't the cutscenes already letterboxed and pillarboxed into a 16:9 aspect ratio? Doesn't that mean finding a way to zoom in till the image fits into the screen boundaries be the true 16:9 cutscenes? I say this because as a result of eliminating the borders, there are some clipping and popping in and out issues in some cutscenes.

I agree that this is the best compromise. This is exactly how Widescreen Fix was made for the original DC version, and it seems that there were no complaints about the cutscenes. If it's not difficult, then I would also like to test this version with a simple crop of the image.

The way it works in Shenmue II would make that very awkward. MGS2 and MGS3's cutscenes are distinct from the gameplay and you can do it there without any impact. But Shenmue 2 switches aspect ratios on the fly during interactive cutscenes. For example, consider the Wong chase at the beginning of the game: (This is the first YouTube video of it that I could find)
The scene switches aspect ratios between double-letterboxed 16x9, 4x3 and full 16x9 multiple times in the span of 90 seconds, sometimes with a smooth transition and others with a hard cut. If you smoothly zoom and unzoom when the bars are going up and down, that is going to obviously look like a zoom.

Anything is possible including what you suggested, although dynamic zooming isn't as straightforward as one of these patches that just unlocks the letterbox. Even if someone did it, I'm not sure if it would be possible to make it look good without doing it on a case-by-case basis. That's a lot of work.
Those cutscenes that in the reissue are played as 16x9, they also need to be cropped to make them look like a cutscene on the Dreamcast. If in gameplay a wide-screen image is useful, fills the screen, more information, then in cutscenes it is already doubtful, because this is the director's vision and you don't need to influence it, especially since in the DC version of the 16x9 cutscene.

I agree that this is the best compromise. This is exactly how Widescreen Fix was made for the original DC version, and it seems that there were no complaints about the cutscenes. If it's not difficult, then I would also like to test this version with a simple crop of the image.
There was no zoom applied in the DC patch that I remember, it worked exactly the same as this one, at least in principle.

As for cropping the image, there are contradictory statements in your comment. Either it's keeping the artistic direction or not. Because if removing black bars goes against the artistic direction, cropping the image throws it out the window altogether.

Last edited:
There was no zoom applied in the DC patch that I remember, it worked exactly the same as this one, at least in principle.

As for cropping the image, there are contradictory statements in your comment. Either it's keeping the artistic direction or not. Because if removing black bars goes against the artistic direction, cropping the image throws it out the window altogether.
All of the above applies exclusively to Shenmue II, where the crop is used in the cutscenes of the widescreen DC-version. But, of course, there is a minus in this version, as interactive 4x3 cutscenes are also cropped.
As a result, to get the ideal, need to crop 16x9 cutscenes, and increase interactive 4x3-cutscenes on the sides

Boy, aren't I late to the party?

@ner0 I'm trying to use your black bar removing patch, but every time I do it, I'm greeted with the error in the screenshot below. Then the Shenmue.exe file vanishes, I have to restore the game files through Steam, rinse and repeat. Same for Shen2. Any idea of what I could be doing wrong? Thanks for your time and double thanks for the patch.

shen.jpg

Boy, aren't I late to the party?

@ner0 I'm trying to use your black bar removing patch, but every time I do it, I'm greeted with the error in the screenshot below. Then the Shenmue.exe file vanishes, I have to restore the game files through Steam, rinse and repeat. Same for Shen2. Any idea of what I could be doing wrong? Thanks for your time and double thanks for the patch.

View attachment 13720
Not sure, but there are already some hints in that window.
It says that the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Try closing Steam before applying the patch; make sure your security solution (anti-virus/anti-malware/sandbox) is not blocking the script and/or tools used to patch the executables (particularly the tool gsar.exe). Also, to prevent from having to restore the executables over and over using Steam just make a copy of them in your Desktop until you get it right.

You might also want to try placing a copy of the executables in the Desktop and patch them there to make sure it's not a pathname issue.

I assume you're doing everything right, but in any case just look at this video to make sure that's a process you're doing:

Last edited:
Not sure, but there are already some hints in that window.
It says that the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Try closing Steam before applying the patch; make sure your security solution (anti-virus/anti-malware/sandbox) is not blocking the script and/or tools used to patch the executables (particularly the tool gsar.exe). Also, to prevent from having to restore the executables over and over using Steam just make a copy of them in your Desktop until you get it right.

You might also want to try placing a copy of the executables in the Desktop and patch them there to make sure it's not a pathname issue.

I assume you're doing everything right, but in any case just look at this video to make sure that's a process you're doing:

Well after closing Steam, disabling AVG and putting the files within the same folder and repeating it a few times, it worked. I couldn't tell ya why it did, but it doesn't matter. Thanks!

Shenmue I and II - 16:9 Widescreen patch
- for any™ PC version -

I decided to adapt to the PC re-release version of Shenmue the script that I initially did for the Dreamcast, which was also based on @Esppiral's work.

The script is universal for both games, and it patches the binaries instead of the memory. One of the immediate advantages is that it is permanent, you don't have to run the program every time you want to play. At this point it works with all releases up until v1.07 of both games. This patch also includes a "fix" dedicated to Shenmue II which allows cut-scenes to be full-screen instead of keeping black borders on the top and bottom. Additionally, I have written custom code that can be injected into the executable to make the subtitles stay on the same lower position during full-screen cut-scenes; optionally you can remove the camera icon that appears during cut-scenes and action sequences in the top-right corner.

Link to the patch: http://tiny.cc/shmwsp

giphy.gif

Just unzip all the ZIP archive's contents anywhere on your disk, then simply drag & drop one of Shenmue's executables, from the sm1 or sm2 folders (Shenmue.exe or Shenmue2.exe, accordingly), over the script named DRAGnDROP Shenmue EXE HERE. When the patch is ready to be applied, a backup of the executable is created for you to be able to roll-back if you need.

NOTE: If you have issues with the patcher opening and closing without any error message at all, try extracting its contents to a folder in your Desktop and copy the intended Shenmue's executable there, then do the drag & drop operation inside that folder and see if that works for you, if it does then just copy the patched executable and backup files back to your Steam installation folder.

Patcher feature demo

Shenmue II
Proper fullscreen cut-scenes

Shenmue II
Proper subtitle positioning in fullscreen cut-scenes

View attachment 1272

NOTE
: The subtitle positioning fix during full-screen cut-scenes will only work if your game UI Display scale is at 100%.

Shenmue II
Proper subtitle positioning in fullscreen cut-scenes (tech demo)

Shenmue II
No camera icon in top-right during fullscreen cut-scenes or action sequences

index.php

Code:
00007FF7E4A18D3E  | jmp 0x7FF7E4C599C1               ->|--|
00007FF7E4A18D43  | mov dword ptr ss:[rbp+0x4C],eax  <-|--|-------|
                                                       |  |       |
00007FF7E4C599C1  | cmp eax,0x44430000               <-|--|       |
00007FF7E4C599C6  | je 0x7FF7E4CA699A                ->|----|     |
00007FF7E4C599CC  | mov rdi,qword ptr ss:[rsp+0x60]  <-|----|--|  |
00007FF7E4C599D1  | jmp 0x7FF7E4A18D43               ->|----|--|--|
                                                       |    |  |
00007FF7E4CA699A  | cmp si,0x198                     <-|----|  |
00007FF7E4CA699F  | jne 0x7FF7E4C599CC               ->|-------|
00007FF7E4CA69A5  | mov eax,0x44638000                 |       |
00007FF7E4CA69AA  | jmp 0x7FF7E4C599CC               ->|-------|
Notes:
  • This code checks if the game is trying to change the position of an UI object to the coordinates 0x44430000, if it is then it checks for the next thing on its list;
  • 0x198 is the value that represents the subtitle object during cut-scenes - when the game is about to change the object position, it checks if it's during a cut-scene, if it is not then the code returns to its original routine;
Hi, made an account just to say I think the link is dead.

1656823321309.png

Back