Shenmue I Re-Release 16:9 Cutscenes Fix

I have tested the last version of patch, everything worked fine. Thanks again for all your great work!
But I don't think I got your reply, may I have your contact information?
Great, glad to hear that... and thanks!
I replied to your initial question where you left it, on my public profile page: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?members/ner0.472/

What kind of contact are you asking for? I just use e-mail, no chat programs at all.
I get notified within minutes if you message me here, through the proper messaging functionality: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?conversations/add

I could give you my personal e-mail address, but I would need a good reason to do that ;)

Great, glad to hear that... and thanks!
I replied to your initial question where you left it, on my public profile page: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?members/ner0.472/

What kind of contact are you asking for? I just use e-mail, no chat programs at all.
I get notified within minutes if you message me here, through the proper messaging functionality: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?conversations/add

I could give you my personal e-mail address, but I would need a good reason to do that ;)
I found a big problem in the last version of patch.
The order of subtitle is reversed. The first line of subtitle is on the bottom, and the second line is on the top.
Even if only one line of subtitle, there is a blank line instead of normal subtitle position.

The order of subtitle is reversed. The first line of subtitle is on the bottom, and the second line is on the top.
Even if only one line of subtitle, there is a blank line instead of normal subtitle position.
That's unexpected.
The patch has not changed at all and works the same as the previous one.

UPDATE: Upon closer inspection it seems that the problem has been present in patches directed at versions below 1.04.
This is due to me basing my tests on resources from one version while using executables from another version.
I'll be fixing it within minutes.

Last edited:
@couyok Thanks again for the bug report, it should now be fixed for v1.00-v1.03, please download the fixed patch and repatch your exe. Fortunately the problem was not that big to sort out. Sorry for the mistake. ;)

My previous Shenmue I & II 16:9 Generic Hex Fix v6 is compatible with Patch 7 for both Shenmue.exe and Shenmue2.exe. You can use it, and I may release a v7 with updated text later on.

Update : v7 with updated text is now available here.

Last edited:
My previous Shenmue I & II 16:9 Generic Hex Fix v6 is compatible with Patch 7 for both Shenmue.exe and Shenmue2.exe. You can use it, and I may release a v7 with updated text later on.
Does it need the Konami Cheat Code to be able to install? lmao
It's as if there is no update available.

EDIT: Had to opt-out of betas, this one went straight to public.

Also, the short list of fixes makes me sad - I think.

Last edited:
Does it need the Konami Cheat Code to be able to install? lmao
It's as if there is no update available.

EDIT: Had to opt-out of betas, this one went straight to public.

Also, the short list of fixes makes me sad - I think.

Yes this one came directly to the public branch as it's more of a hotfix.

Yes this one came directly to the public branch as it's more of a hotfix.
I think that what I meant by saying that the short list of fixes makes me sad is because it gives the feeling that there isn't much more up their sleeves in terms of PC fixing, at least it seems to indicate a significant throttling down from what we previously saw. I don't know, have yet to play the games fully on the PC. Waiting for the controller...

Genuine question: In using this mod, are there instances of unintended off screen loaded stationary models before they become animated on the edge of the cutscenes?

Genuine question: In using this mod, are there instances of unintended off screen loaded stationary models before they become animated on the edge of the cutscenes?
Possibly, but I can't say how often, haven't played through the whole game yet.I don't think it'll be a deal breaker though.So far I've only seen one instance of a character that runs and freezes off-screen, and another one where Ryo is holding a piece of paper with the back of his hand.

I did shenmue 1 ok then moved the patcher into the shenmue 2 folder:
I did it from the game folders to try and avoid any issues from Windows folder permissions /U.A.C.
I also have the game folder excluded from my antivirus scanning which can sometimes interfere with certain tools..

This is what i'm seeing for for the S2 exe:

-> W I D E S C R E E N P A T C H E R <-
========================================================================================
v2.1.7

EXPERIMENTAL: Do you want to remove top/bottom black borders from cut-scenes? [y/N]:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is that the correct version no. for the Shenmue 2 exe ?
I was expecting to see v1.07.
It patched ok ,so no problems in that respect.

I did also verify the game files in steam before patching but i did notice steam has been moving over to a universal set of redists to support all games on steam rather than each game having to download it's own redists .So i've had steam updater running through loads of my old games updating them in a huge download list ,a lot of them are those 0kb updates but things seem really buggy with steam atmo while this is going on .
If someone could confirm that shenmue2.exe v.1.06 is correct ,at least i'll know the game files were verified properly.

Last edited:
I did shenmue 1 ok then moved the patcher into the shenmue 2 folder:
I did it from the game folders to try and avoid any issues from Windows folder permissions /U.A.C.
I also have the game folder excluded from my antivirus scanning which can sometimes interfere with certain tools..

This is what i'm seeing for for the S2 exe:

-> W I D E S C R E E N P A T C H E R <-
========================================================================================
v2.1.7

EXPERIMENTAL: Do you want to remove top/bottom black borders from cut-scenes? [y/N]:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is that the correct version no. for the Shenmue 2 exe ?
I was expecting to see v1.07.
It patched ok ,so no problems in that respect.

I did also verify the game files in steam before patching but i did notice steam has been moving over to a universal set of redists to support all games on steam rather than each game having to download it's own redists .So i've had steam updater running through loads of my old games updating them in a huge download list ,a lot of them are those 0kb updates but things seem really buggy with steam atmo while this is going on .
If someone could confirm that shenmue2.exe v.1.06 is correct ,at least i'll know the game files were verified properly.
You should have seen v1.07 for Shenmue2, try to delete the executable and have Steam perform an integrity check then try again. If you still see v1.06 then, leave another comment here and, if possible, an md5 checksum of the zip file you got with the patch. I'll then take a look and make sure something didn't go wrong on my end.

Hi, I'm hoping for a little clarification- Id like to use the widescreen mod but am fairly confused over which version or such to use. From the initial modding database page, there are 3 widescreen mods available, all linking to this thread on different pages. From what I read, ner0's mod is based on the original work of esspiral and make it permanent with a backup, the other requires a hex editor (which I'm still fuzzy on but will learn). Is there a difference between the three? Do all 3 need to be run? Thanks to anyone who can clear it up for me!

In essence there are only 2 widescreen mods, both based on Esppiral's initial work:
- @ner0 Widescreen patch: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?posts/10013/
- @masterchan777 Generic Hex Fix patch: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/i...ease-16-9-cutscenes-fix.358/page-6#post-10047

Even though one of those is mine, I'll try to describe the essential differences between my patch and masterchan777's.
- Shenmue 1: Both patchers do exactly the same with Shenmue 1, they make cutscenes fullscreen by removing the left/right black borders;
- Shenmue 2: masterchan777's patcher removes the left/right black borders, while preserving top/bottom black border (cinematic effect). My patcher does the exact same thing, but also gives a couple extra options, for example: optionally remove top/bottom black borders (making cut-scenes fullscreen, and adjusting the text position accordingly, as in Shenmue 1), also the ability to remove the nagging snapshot icon from the top-right corner of the screen - these two options can be applied individually or together.

Esppiral's is mentioned because it was the catalyst for both these mods, and is actually the only work that needs manual hex editing; our patchers, mentioned above, were a byproduct of it, none of which need manual hex editing whatsoever.

Last edited:
ah, ok! thanks very much for the explanation- I was wondering if there were a need to install all of them, but it looks like not =) I look forward to using your mod, very much appreciate the work you and others have spent on this =)

In essence there are only 2 widescreen mods, both based on Esppiral's initial work:
- @ner0 Widescreen patch: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?posts/10013/
- @masterchan777 Generic Hex Fix patch: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/i...ease-16-9-cutscenes-fix.358/page-6#post-10047

Even though one of those is mine, I'll try to describe the essential differences between my patch and masterchan777's.
- Shenmue 1: Both patchers do exactly the same with Shenmue 1, they make cutscenes fullscreen by removing the left/right black borders;
- Shenmue 2: masterchan777's patcher removes the left/right black borders, while preserving top/bottom black border (cinematic effect). My patcher does the exact same thing, but also gives a couple extra options, for example: optionally remove top/bottom black borders (making cut-scenes fullscreen, and adjusting the text position accordingly, as in Shenmue 1), also the ability to remove the nagging snapshot icon from the top-right corner of the screen - these two options can be applied individually or together.

Esppiral's is mentioned because it was the catalyst for both these mods, and is actually the only work that needs manual hex editing; our patchers, mentioned above, were a byproduct of it, none of which need manual hex editing whatsoever.
Hello bro, do you remember me?
Do you play Shenmue III?
Can you make a patch to remove logo and intro? They are annoying.
Thank you!

Back