Shenmue I & II regional variants

24Nathan

Okay, so for the collection...are we going to have to buy every regional variant listed at shenmue.sega.com? I'm talking like a French copy and an Italian copy...even though they are both PAL and have the PEGI ratings, the back cover and manual (is there even one included? I forget...) would be translated. Does anyone know how regional variants work for other Xbox One and PS4 games?

I don't understand the question. Why would you need to buy every regional variant? All European PAL copies should be the same anyways. No doubt they will be the same as the NA version too. The Japanese one we're not so certain on, especially as it comes later. The Japanese one might be the most complete/best physical version pre-patch, as it comes later and therefore is likely to come with a lot of the patches up until that point on the disc.

Edit: Oh I just re-read it. So you mean for 'collecting' purposes?

Yes, for collecting. For example, there at least seven copies of Shenmue IIx that I need to get to have what I believe is a complete PAL set.

They could just make the PAL versions cover and manual multi language. The originals of both games did that, a lot of Dreamcast games did.
The Xbox version is a different story, there's a whole bunch of language versions, all having their own catalogue number.

On the Steam page it lists all of these languages.
languages.PNG
https://store.steampowered.com/app/758330/Shenmue_I__II/

What is crazy here is they are literally not counting on ANY Japanese people buying the PC version which is unfathomable... I know that Japanese gamers play mostly on Japanese consoles which right now that is basically PS4 or Switch, but to remove the Kanji from the PC version altogether is pretty criminal. Leaving the audio in is cool, but I guess most Japanese have basic understanding of reading English menu screens to an extent.

PS4 exclusive. Though that shouldn't stop Steam users in Japan from buying the PC version too. I know people think of PC in Asia as a Chinese and Korean thing mostly while ignoring Japan, but I have known quite a few Japanese PC gamers in my years of multiplayer gaming on PC. Met way more Chinese and Koreans, but still...

The fact they included both traditional and simplified Chinese, and Korean speaks volumes.

The other mystery here is why there is no Spanish language option, which ignores a huge number of players. For sure the Spanish translation done by the community on Dreamcast might be able to be ported here to the PC version via mods.

I know that Japanese gamers play mostly on Japanese consoles which right now that is basically PS4 or Switch, but to remove the Kanji from the PC version altogether is pretty criminal.
They aren't removing it if they hadn't added it yet in the first place.

Prior to the Japanese release date even being announced, I speculated on the old forums that they hadn't announced a release date yet because of the additional work that would be needed for release there. Shenmue IIx added a bunch of bonus stuff like the camera feature that was never localized for Japan in the past that will probably need to be reverse-localized in Japanese for the first time. Not to mention the censorship made to the English releases will require some sort of changes. If they're keeping the censored Japanese dub, they'll need to update the Japanese subtitles to match the bits of dialogue that changed instead of just copy/pasting the original. (Or preferably I'm hoping they'll undo the censored stuff for Japan, but who knows.)

Yeah I guess you are absolutely right there. I am just overreacting maybe. It should be possible at least to have them add the language via an update to the PC version one would hope. However pretty sure the community would take care of that if they do not.

i guess it makes sense that Shenmue HD is PS4 exclusive in Japan.
if you look at the japanese top 100 game charts of 2017, you can see that there is not even one PC or Xbox game included.
its all Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch and PS4.
and there is already a list for the first half of 2018 and its exactly the same thing.
pc ports of japanese games are mostly intended for people overseas.

Back