Shenmue I & II: Playing the classics in a classic way

I was thinking of a cool way to play Shenmue I & II in a nostalgic way, like how most of you here played the games on Dreamcast and Xbox (or just Dreamcast for you rebellious people. You're cool). Hooking up your systems to a CRT with AV cables (or VGA on a PC monitor) through a converter and playing the games in 4:3 would give a classic feel to playing. Even better, you could use an original Dreamcast controller through an adapter on PC. I think this would be a cool thing to see in a YouTube video after the game comes out.

The only way I hook my Dreamcast up these days is Dreamcast to VGA cable (not box), VGA cable to upscaler, and upscaler to HDMI port in my HD TV. Looks great.

I've got an Akura box. That takes the vga signal and allows it work on an HD tv without a VGA port. It outputs at 480p and looks great. I had an upscaler before but wasn't a fan.

I have the Kuro and then convert it to an HDMI. Looks fantastic. I may end up buying an Akura someday.
They've just made a slightly cheaper version of the Akura, called the Gekko. The Gekko doesn't have the scanlines feature and some other minor bits from what I can tell.

I've got an Akura box. That takes the vga signal and allows it work on an HD tv without a VGA port. It outputs at 480p and looks great. I had an upscaler before but wasn't a fan.

The upscaler isn't great. The '1080p' mode is very tempremntal - it only seems to work if the wind is blowing in the right direction. Mine is a good little set up without breaking the bank.

The upscaler isn't great. The '1080p' mode is very tempremntal - it only seems to work if the wind is blowing in the right direction. Mine is a good little set up without breaking the bank.
I've never had an issue with it personally though I've heard it's not great for streaming.

What setup do you run if you don't mind my asking?

I've never had an issue with it personally though I've heard it's not great for streaming.

What setup do you run if you don't mind my asking?

See above!

I originally went VGA box to 1080p PC monitor but the VGA box became redundant when I bought my upscaler as it's HDMI output. I ended up having to buy a VGA cable instead.

It's sad, really, as the only games I play on my Dreamcast are Shenmue and Shenmue II. With the games being released on PS4, there's no need for my Dreamcast to be hooked up to my TV.

The fan seems to be busted - it makes a horrible grinding noise after about 30 minutes gameplay - and it occasionally cuts out, so it may not be the worst decision to retire it to the loft. I know the wife would be happy! Dillema.

See above!

I originally went VGA box to 1080p PC monitor but the VGA box became redundant when I bought my upscaler as it's HDMI output. I ended up having to buy a VGA cable instead.

It's sad, really, as the only games I play on my Dreamcast are Shenmue and Shenmue II. With the games being released on PS4, there's no need for my Dreamcast to be hooked up to my TV.

The fan seems to be busted - it makes a horrible grinding noise after about 30 minutes gameplay - and it occasionally cuts out, so it may not be the worst decision to retire it to the loft. I know the wife would be happy! Dillema.

That's not good with the fan and those things are mounted to the board from what I remember so changing it could be a pain. Retirement for it might be the way forward.... or just get a new one lol. Gaming is a way of life lol, my Mrs has finally come to terms with it!

I have the official VGA box back at my family’s home in AZ. My brother has an HD monitor that has a VGA port and we played a lot of DC games on that and it was amazing

My HDTV has a VGA port, so I have pretty much the best picture you can get out of my Dreamcast. I love playing these games on it...

Back