Shenmue I & II Mod Database

Is it a good idea to use all the texture packs for Shen 1 listed above or do you have to choose between one or the other ?

Last edited:
Is it a good idea to use all the texture packs for Shen 1 listed above or do you have to choose between one or the other ?
If it were me I'd only use the ones that Streamer did as they're an easy install job and don't need special k.

If it were me I'd only use the ones that Streamer did as they're an easy install job and don't need special k.
And they're fucking amazing. What a proper remaster (non full remake) should look!

I wanted to thank y'all for working on and putting these mods and guides together!
It all worked out for me (in the end) and it looks unbelievably great! Feels like 5 inches of fog has been removed from my eyes and ears after the 2k texture mods, the clean audio and wide screen transitions!

I did have some challenges so I wanted to share some lessons I learned.

-First lesson, follow the newer video (from 2020, not the 2019).
It has way less mods in that video and the result was amazing!

-Second lesson, test the game after installing each mod individually.
Just in case one of the mods gives you an issue, you can catch it, and troubleshoot easily! (might prevent having to uninstall and re-install like I did and savetime! lol)

Here are my results! I'm super impressed!

I love how much we mod Shenmue 1/2 on pc, but What have we not done yet that we did back on the Dreamcast versions of Sm1/2, Can we use the same techniques that we've learned from than to mod the heck out of the PC releases? Though the pc version does have the same engine as on DC, right? I'd love to try porting the SM1 dev menu from dc prototype to pc, but I know very little about coding, but I can at least swap models. Btw I'm gonna think twice about my grammer before posting from now on.

Hope you are all doing well, To any of you who might be in Ukraine now, Stay safe, Watch your six and keep everyone you love close to you!

I love how much we mod Shenmue 1/2 on pc, but What have we not done yet that we did back on the Dreamcast versions of Sm1/2, Can we use the same techniques that we've learned from than to mod the heck out of the PC releases? Though the pc version does have the same engine as on DC, right? I'd love to try porting the SM1 dev menu from dc prototype to pc, but I know very little about coding, but I can at least swap models. Btw I'm gonna think twice about my grammer before posting from now on.

Hope you are all doing well, To any of you who might be in Ukraine now, Stay safe, Watch your six and keep everyone you love close to you!
MiscTools has the map warping feature which is basically the same thing as the old debug menu :) We can actually mod the PC version more than we can the DC right now in some respects.

Wow, btw I'd like to hack the notebook enteries on shenmue 1 pc, where is the file containing that code? cant find 1st_read.bin

There is something to match the loading times to the Dreamcast ones? Specially in Shenmue 2, there are some times where breaks the rythm, for example if you fail the first QTE when encounter Ren.

You'll run into all sorts of issues with a cracked copy so we can't really help you there. The ultimate solution would be to buy a legitimate copy of the game when you're able to.
Kaldaien's SpecialK may be the reason why that happens.
And often times mods rely on fixed memory pointers which will differ between a cracked and original version of the game.
You can play the cracked game and even use some of the mods, but you'll have to accept the hard fact that @Jibby pointed out, which is that 99% of the modding is done on and for legit copies, not actively against piracy, it's just the way things are, and will run into issues when applied to a cracked version or even the wrong patch. If you can't afford the game by yourself, try to get friends on board and buy the game and then use Steam Family Sharing.
I've bought the game, installed the mod on the original version and now he game wont start :( . How I could resolve it? PLEASE HELP ME

I've bought the game, installed the mod on the original version and now he game wont start :( . How I could resolve it? PLEASE HELP ME
Hi! In Steam, right click on the game, click 'Properties', go to the 'Installed Files' page, and hit the 'Verify integrity of game files' button. Once it's done, check if the game starts again, and if it does you can try reinstalling your mods.

Hi! In Steam, right click on the game, click 'Properties', go to the 'Installed Files' page, and hit the 'Verify integrity of game files' button. Once it's done, check if the game starts again, and if it does you can try reinstalling your mods.
Hi, I solved it deleting the file dxgi.ini and it works!

Hi, I'm going to begin my first playthrough of Shenmue I & II and have been diligently installing these mods, running into the Special K issue.

Why does Special K not work now, when it did before? And what's changed that Forklift is now able to support the mods that previously were recommended to be run through Special K?

Why aren't there any texture mods for Shenmue II that don't use Special K yet? Is Streamer working on a Better Textures for Shenmue II and if not, is there something else we can use?

Hi, I'm going to begin my first playthrough of Shenmue I & II and have been diligently installing these mods, running into the Special K issue.

Why does Special K not work now, when it did before? And what's changed that Forklift is now able to support the mods that previously were recommended to be run through Special K?

Why aren't there any texture mods for Shenmue II that don't use Special K yet? Is Streamer working on a Better Textures for Shenmue II and if not, is there something else we can use?
So the short answer is there's texture mods for Shenmue 1 that run on Forklift.

Special K is a pain in the ass to use and you have to 'see' the textures in game before they truly work.

Forklift is a chuck in and go job and much easier.

As for Shenmue 2 I'd expect whoever was making them got sidetracked. Life and all that.

Special K is a pain in the ass to use and you have to 'see' the textures in game before they truly work.
What I mean is, when I installed Special K, the game would no longer start. This is obviously a common issue, so why does this happen?

What I mean is, when I installed Special K, the game would no longer start. This is obviously a common issue, so why does this happen?
Not a clue - I avoid Special K for the fact it is very unpredictable.

Back