Shenmue 4 Updates?

Telekill

Sega Game Gear Enthusiast
Currently playing
FF7 Rebirth (PS5), Helldivers 2 (PS5), God of War: R (PS5)
Hey all! Hope you're surviving 2020.

I've been absent focusing on other areas of gaming and thought I'd ask if there have been any developments on the Shenmue 4 front?

If not, are we expecting that the virus may have slowed production or maybe even killed it outright? With current political negativity towards China... will that play a role in the development or lack thereof with the sequel?

Are we expecting that the virus may have slowed production or maybe even killed it outright?
It is possible that Suzuki may have been trying to do research and work on his plans to create Shenmue 4 until the virus hit, I remember seeing pictures posted here of him taking pictures in China. I highly doubt this has killed the entire possibility of making the game.

With current political negativity towards China... will that play a role in the development or lack thereof with the sequel?
No. Even when Shenmue 2 and 3 released there has always been political negativity towards China from many. That hasn't affected their release other than mabye China censoring the game due to sensitivity and portrayal of certain locations, especially since Ryo is Japanese. From what I read Chinese version of Shenmue 3 doesn't even take place in China as names of locations have changed.

It's true that Chinese version of Shenmue 3 doesn't take place in China , but I guess it's because of the gambling element didn't pass rather than because Ryo is Japanese.

If you haven’t seen this already, here’s what Yu Suzuki had to say about Shenmue 3 and what he’d like to do for Shenmue 4.

I doubt we would get any announcement on S4 barely 7 months after its release

Yep.
We still have the GOG/Steam release to come as well.
I wouldn't expect to hear anything on Shenmue 4 until 2021 at the earliest.

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking,
I'd like to think this time next year we'd hear something about Shenmue IV, Then around this time the following year we'll be getting Shenmue IV or a release date for within 2022.

Back