Shenmue 4 Rumour on 4Chan

The wording of the leak itself is so strange lol. It reads as if the person knows about Shenmue, but at the same time seems strange that they'd comment on being able to change clothes, as we could do that in S3. Also the way they said that the Like a Dragon team is "not" assisting is such a weird thing to say too. That alone makes me feel like it's just some random dude on a forum who is tired of seeing the "RGG should help make it" opinions, and wants to be able to say "I told you so" if it does come out lol.

I'm assuming the leak isn't real (would love to be wrong of course), but the idea is actually pretty cool. It's paramount that S4 focuses on the story and thus starts wrapping up some of these questions we have had for over 20 years. Going to Shanghai and finally learning about the Chi You Men would be sick!

I just like seeing the rumours tbh. The more the better :D!

Last edited:
I highly doubt there hasn't been any kind of collaboration, even at a casual level as result of friendly discussing ideas and approaches. There's shared respect and admiration between Yu-san and many Dragon Team members. Would Sega allow to it? At formal level, no without some counterpart arrangements... Oh wait there's some consulting in e-sports and a blockchain project lying there.

The rumor seems trolling but the timing is interesting.
So I'm simply gonna listen spud's advice, grain of salt. Thrilling a bit, not falling for it but neither dismissing totally.
TLDR: 40% maybe, 60% fake news

@terry.tsoi yes, It breaks NDA but also in this days, its becoming kind of a stunt. If there's interest in your game, you get hacked and footage leaks. So its not a crazy idea that some of those apparent leaks has been a viral stunt.

It's an odd rumor. It also pegs it as a late 2025 release, which is over two years out.

If one is to assume it has any validity, we could extrapolate ot either just got greenlit or it's production value is higher than we'd expect?

But this person claims to have seen it. Concept art maybe. Maybe this person saw the shopped around build we'd heard about(was it ever confirmed) and is just building a rumor around that.

Ryo won't beat Lan Di? How do you even know that? Seems a reach based on IIIs controversial climax.

i never go on 4chan, i thought that website was bad news? anyway if the game was in full development, wouldn't yu suzuki tell us fans? why would he keep it a secret?

the post doesn't sound that unbelievable, in recent years people have been leaking information about big blockbuster movies which was true. ..but you could cobble together a fake story from old concept art.:cautious:

if this news was 100% real, i imagine an official statement from yu suzuki about shenmue 4 would arrive later this year.

The anime was well received, but a victim of the cutbacks that so many places seem to do these days(especially Netflix and HBO).

Additionally, we have respectable information that both Shenmue I&II and III sold fairly well, not to mention it has one of the larger and more passionate niche fanbases of any series, in my opinion.

I'd say there's a market for the game, but we shall see. We are starting to see a real shift towards higher-end tools, such as Unreal Engine 5 and Metahuman(to name a couple) and a LOT of studios are starting to use UE5 as the pandemic ends and next-gen consoles are far more readily available in stores.

Any of these could be why it looks like a better Shenmue III, but I'd assume Suzuki keeps the trademark style.

The other snag here is a late 2025 release pretty much eliminates a PS4 version, which I'd be surprised by.

But then again, we did go from Dreamcast to Xbox, then it didn't appear again until PS4.

I'm remiss that a rumor regarding it would show up THIS early, as something that far out wouldn't arguably be announced this year.

Sony supposedly has a Showcase coming up prior to E3 wherein they'll bring as many heavy hitters as they can.

I wouldn't put it past them to invest in marketing/exclusivity again to bolster their place, even for something like Shenmue again, as niche as it is.

Rumor has it they have their sights on a LOT of exclusivity agreements and possibly some retaliatory acquisitions due to Microsoft's recent "Fuck you, we're gonna just buy entire publishers out."

Last edited:
Just reading some of those Reddit comments makes me wanna off myself.
Usual Shenmue hate, false information and believing that Yu is a con-artist :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I am trying very hard not to read the comments on reddit because I will lose faith in humanity again. :D

It's an odd rumor. It also pegs it as a late 2025 release, which is over two years out.

If one is to assume it has any validity, we could extrapolate ot either just got greenlit or it's production value is higher than we'd expect?

But this person claims to have seen it. Concept art maybe. Maybe this person saw the shopped around build we'd heard about(was it ever confirmed) and is just building a rumor around that.

Ryo won't beat Lan Di? How do you even know that? Seems a reach based on IIIs controversial climax.
That was one of the most fishy parts imho. Like you imply, only a insider would know that. To be able to see game content to that extent I say publisher minumum, and then developer. Its not proper of those positions to write in that style and revealing a critical moment of the story*. Even for a staged leak viral announce, its too much.
About the production value, thats the concept I tried to put in words many times. Shenmue series has enormous production value. And its creator name signed on covers adds to the formula.
Greenlighting for him, Kojima, Ueda or any of the big names doesn't work the same way that say with us trying to get greenlight.

*Unless the first compasses start with Lan Di and Ryo stand off in some Magic Reconning or time elypse. And so, he doesn't defeat him because some unexpected reason (we've discussed at Hiki's) and becomes the master that teach us the misterious scroll for a greater menace.

Where does that con-artist stuff comes now? @Sonoshee The people don't stop to amuse me. I give that he, Yu-san, is rogue with good-chaotic alignment but never ever "a con".

Sorry @red I missed by skipping your post. At least to me, 4chan is one of the entrances to the deep web. Disturbing in a bad way, toxic and to sum up a place to avoid.

Last edited:
Reactions: red
Got to admit i'm a bit suspicious with the poor grammar. Of course i'd love to be proved wrong!

not gonna even watch the video, not gonna even click on any of the links or check the 4 chan post. i already 100% believe whomever came up with that rumor. s4 will be released in 2025 for me now:sleep::sleep:

not gonna even watch the video, not gonna even click on any of the links or check the 4 chan post. i already 100% believe whomever came up with that rumor. s4 will be released in 2025 for me now:sleep::sleep:
You could be bothered to post, though, so there’s that.

Back