Shenmue 4 2.5D Project.

View attachment 17440
Tring to make a HD-2D game demo, maybe I can make it faster than Yu-San,ha-ha.
Hey hey, its that sprite yours? Its been quite a time since I went into sprite galleries dive, love to check customs above all...
Its neat, counting more or less <16 colors and the shades look like fitting in many scenes light sources.

I dare to predict: at one point, the shenmue lore will restrain your vision, what you want to tell. Along the way some out of Shenmue ideas will surfaces and you will shift from the series. In the line of VFRPG shifting to its own Shenmue universe.

Hey hey, its that sprite yours? Its been quite a time since I went into sprite galleries dive, love to check customs above all...
Its neat, counting more or less <16 colors and the shades look like fitting in many scenes light sources.
I hire a game artist to paint it, I personally want to make a playable game demo first so I did not consider the art style issues too much. If I complete the demo, I will hire him to repaint all assets to make the graphic better.

Absolutely love the HD-2D graphical style that's been on the rise these last few years.

Played Live a Live earlier this year and it was a fantastic experience, very much enhanced by its presentation.

I believe the issue @Seaman is referring to is caused by the dark line work around the zipper area of Ryo's jeans. As a general rule, dark colors tend to lend themselves better for outside linework, while inside details work better with more nuanced tones. In short, a lighter shade as used in the first model will fix the issue.

But of course we're putting hyper focus on details that aren't super important at this stage of the development phase.

Either way good luck with the project. I'll be keeping tabs on its progress.

Absolutely love the HD-2D graphical style that's been on the rise these last few years.

Played Live a Live earlier this year and it was a fantastic experience, very much enhanced by its presentation.

I believe the issue @Seaman is referring to is caused by the dark line work around the zipper area of Ryo's jeans. As a general rule, dark colors tend to lend themselves better for outside linework, while inside details work better with more nuanced tones. In short, a lighter shade as used in the first model will fix the issue.

But of course we're putting hyper focus on details that aren't super important at this stage of the development phase.

Either way good luck with the project. I'll be keeping tabs on its progress.
Definetly you explained a lot better. At least I gave a freudian approach. I bet while Xpointed is polite enough to stop himself from telling me, he thought "oh yeah? That's what you see Seaman? Well, I see..."
There was also a bit of jelaousy for the sprite quality, in alpha stage, must admit

Making the dialogue system now, I did make a primitive dialogue system and could play dialogue now.
I make development videos and put them on Chinese website, but for dojo members, I want to give a development video when I have enough game content to show.
Also I need to earn enough money to hire Mr.Water to paint the sprite asset, I think it will take a long time.🤣

Making the dialogue system now, I did make a primitive dialogue system and could play dialogue now.
I make development videos and put them on Chinese website, but for dojo members, I want to give a development video when I have enough game content to show.
Also I need to earn enough money to hire Mr.Water to paint the sprite asset, I think it will take a long time.🤣
Once you do a video let me know and I can give it a shove on our socials and Youtube etc.

This is looking very cool! I would agree that both sprite proportions look great, but I personally am leaning toward the taller one. Definitely gives me a more ‘Shenmue‘ feel. But ultimately I think it comes down to what kind of story/gameplay it will consist of. I’d say the taller one would lend itself to a more serious, realistic setting, while the shorter works well for a more simplistic feel.

View attachment 17561
Get the primitive run animation from Mr.water, I think it is the best scale.
I was in doubt and afraid to ask if you were going for realist animation or retro small frame rate with "jumps" between some frames. I'm happy to see the latter because that's exactly how I believe videogames should be. Aware of being a game, serves as relief to the player for too much heavy realism or action and for developers to leverage creative restrictions from reality, physics las,etc.
Max Fleischer settled this same thought for cartoons, they shouldn't be 1:1 or move like the real thing but an exageration. The more I look your run cycle the more I like It ♥️
Its evoking me Tintin opening or Lupin III, both masterpieces of limited animation.

I was in doubt and afraid to ask if you were going for realist animation or retro small frame rate with "jumps" between some frames. I'm happy to see the latter because that's exactly how I believe videogames should be. Aware of being a game, serves as relief to the player for too much heavy realism or action and for developers to leverage creative restrictions from reality, physics las,etc.
Max Fleischer settled this same thought for cartoons, they shouldn't be 1:1 or move like the real thing but an exageration. The more I look your run cycle the more I like It ♥️
Its evoking me Tintin opening or Lupin III, both masterpieces of limited animation.
Actually I just give the Shenmue2 Ryo's run video to Mr.Water,and then he gave me this. I don't actually have enough game experience because I am young , so I just trust Mr.Water and believe he could give me great works.
I think Shenmue2 moves are good, my first goal is have Elbow assault animation in Shenmue2 style. For all those animations, I hope them will be like Shenmue 2 .
S3 moves are good too, but needs more frames to show, I don't have enough money to do them.

Feel desperate to make 2D battle system, I don't have enough knowledge to do it.
I don't have any knowledge in Unreal Engine, only unity. But if you need game design advice pm me, I'm currently working on a beat em up game

Feel desperate to make 2D battle system, I don't have enough knowledge to do it.
Don't despair mate, there's no publishing deadline, enjoy the making process.
Because the feeling you experience gets into the creation, or at least if you're a bit freudian that's it.
Remember every game exists first on paper prior to coding part.

Get all the tips that Kenzo its learning along his game making.
Read interviews to prominent fighting games devs, they're spilling about some tricks they've used back then.
A research on fighting gameplay also should serve you as guide as well.

Back