SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis

~ ひかり ~

このまま・・・時間が止まるといい
Site Staff
Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (PS4)
SEGA Mega Drive was how it was in many countries but in US it was known as Genesis. I saw that this console was the most sucessuful SEGA console.

Like i said in the other thread sadly i didn't had SEGA consoles when i was a kid so i don't know much about it but i have plans to buy more SEGA consoles for my collection, right now i only have Dreamcast.

You have Mega Drive/Genesis? you have favorite games? you have dear memories because of this console?

In this thread we can talk everything about SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis, thank you.

1632151177321.png

1632151687044.png

My first SEGA console but not my first exposure to SEGA games. We had a couple on my C64.

I vividly remember seeing Sonic 1 on the TV in toys r us next to Super Mario and thought Sonic looked way better. I was hooked.

Some great games on there, TMNT Hyperstone Heist, SOR, Paperboy, Mortal Kombat, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 + Kunckles. I could go on and on.

My first Sega console (got the Master System later). Not my first exposure to Sega, that was Super Hang-On on Amiga.

So many great games...

Phantasy Star 4
Pirates Gold
Probotector (Contra Hard Corps)
Shinobi 2 and 3
Golden Axe 1, 2, 3
Sonic 2, 3 and Knuckles, CD
Streets of Rage 2
Shining Force 1 and 2
Aladdin
Ristar
and many more

Awesome console with a ton of great games.

I have one although I am super late to the party. I got my Mega Drive plus Mega CD 1 or 2 years ago. I really like the console so far. Back then when it wa relevant I just had a gameboy. Did not got into consoel gaming until my got my n64 in 1997.

I am playing Robocop vs Terminator at the moment on that plattform. A really nice shoot em up but also quite hard. Other games I have in my collection are Aladdin, Lion King, Toy Story.

Games I want to get soon are

Mortal Kombat (not sure in that matter if get the mega drive cart version or the mega cd version though), Turtles Hyperstone Heist, Quckshot, Demolition Man HangOn (after many seaons the arcarde of Shenmue I am really eager to get a original console version for that game ), World of Illusion, Gunstar Heros and version of Road Rash.

I had my Game Gear first but got a Genesis model 2 Lion King edition in... 1994? I still have both and both still work after my Game Gear needed an entirely new motherboard recapped with modern capacitors. My Genesis... still works like a charm. There are some games on Genesis that still absolutely shine and I wish we would see more of. Top favorite Genesis games:

- Jurassic Park
- Sonic series
- Comix Zone
- Streets of Rage series
- Ecco the Dolphin
- TMNT Hyperstone Heist
- Road Rash series

There are many more, but those are my favorites. Then there's the third party games that were fantastic as well. Coupled with the model 2 of the Sega CD.... fantastic design. In fact, I find the model 2 series of Genesis and Sega CD to be one of the sleeker console designs of all time. Keep in mind... not counting the addition of 32X on there; ruins it.

I do think the Genesis was the best Sega console of all time. Of course I also have a bunch of love the Dreamcast and am yet to explore the Saturn library, but the Genesis library is so well rounded and deep in every genre. I think the same goes to Sega developed (first party) games on the console as well.

While I appreciate that Sega took some huge risks on the games they developed for Dreamcast and were really thinking outside of the box at that point, their Genesis output was just really strong and well executed (though of course not without the occasional dud, and I also understand the argument that Dreamcast really only had about 2-3 years before the plug was pulled).

Genesis was my 2nd console, following NES, and I actually skipped the 32-bit generation and went to Dreamcast afterward so I had a pretty long burn playing Genesis games. Of course I was a kid and wanted to play Sonic, so as a Christmas gift I got a model 1 with Sonic 2. Beating Sonic 2 was probably my proudest gaming moment as a kid, took me months to get good enough.

My 5 favorites, subject to always change ;) :
  • Sonic 3 and Knuckles
  • Rocket Knight Adventures
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • NHLPA '93 ('94 is admittedly better and considered an all-time great, but I didn't own it growing up!)

It could be fun to perhaps crowdsource top 5 games by genre? Or maybe post some hidden gems (if possible 25-30 years later!) or games that are otherwise underappreciated.

Although the mega drive is great console I think the best Sega Consoles are the Dreamcast and the Saturn. Because both consoles tried to be different from the competition. Maybe I am bit biased because the Dreamcast was my first sega console but for the Saturn I am neutral because I did not one before 2017 or was it 2018 I am not sure anymore.

Anyway it feels that the Dreamcast and the Saturn (in Japan at least) tried to different then their competition. They had their own unique games. Mega Drive is more of the box and has lots of standard games. Good standard games and there is nothing wrong with standard games but the Saturn and the Dreamcast had more weird japanese stuff that was quite unique.

Mega drive on the other hand just fought the SNES toe on toe so both machines had different games from the then popular genres.

But nothing wrong with the MD. I can see why it is so popular. It is a cool machine with a cool flair and good tech. I am still impressed how good Toy Story looks. Especially in the primite 3 segment in the vending machine.

ps: Sorry for the american folks that I use the term Mega Drive and not Genesis but I do not indentify Genesis with gaming.

Here in Austria we had to church at the beginning of the semester, at the end and before the christmas and easter holidays. There I have heard the term Gensis way too often. Book Genesis. So the term is not conneced with gaming in my brain. And then we have the crapy Terminator Genesis as well. I really do not have good memories with the tem Genesis. So I prefer to use the Japanese/European name.

But actually there is nothing wrong with the US name. Especially in retroperspective. The Sega Genesis was indeed the Genesis of Sega in America. The brand never has been there more popular in that region. It never was that popular again after the Genesis.

But for personal reasons I just do not like the name. But that is just me.

It could be fun to perhaps crowdsource top 5 games by genre? Or maybe post some hidden gems (if possible 25-30 years later!) or games that are otherwise underappreciated.
I'll start this myself!

Post what you feel are games that should replace any of the the top 5's I listed in the following genres (or feel free to post your top 5's! Doesn't have to be in order 1-5). I haven't played all of these so I'm going by reputation on some (I'll "*" those I haven't played), and of course there's some vagueness in WTF "Action Adventure" means. I'll only post multiple games from the same series if they're overwhelmingly good.

Platformers
  • Sonic 3&K
  • Rocket Knight Adventures
  • Sonic 2
  • Ristar
  • Castle of Illusion

Run n' Gun
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Batman and Robin
  • Alien Soldier
  • Contra: Hard Corps
  • Ranger-X*
RPG
  • Phantasy Star IV
  • Shining Force II
  • Phantasy Star II
  • Shadow Run*
  • Landgrisser II*
Action Adventure
  • Crusader of Centy
  • Beyond Oasis
  • Gauntlet IV
  • Landstalker
  • Jungle Strike
Action Platformer
  • Shinobi III
  • Castlevania: Bloodlines
  • Monster World IV
  • Revenge of Shinobi
  • Alisia Dragoon
Schmup
  • Thunder Force IV
  • MUSHA
  • Gaiares*
  • Gleylancer*
  • Steel Empire*
Strategy
  • Herzog Zwei
  • Dune II
  • General Chaos
  • Pirates! Gold* (might be miscategorized)
  • Star Control*
Sports (since they're yearly it's tough to narrow down, I'll probably play through more and update this list)
  • NHL '94
  • Madden '96
  • World Series Baseball '95
  • NBA Live '95
  • One of them FIFA games!
Beat Em Up
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • Bare Knuckle 3
  • Golden Axe II
  • Alien Storm
  • Comix Zone

Haven't played enough of these genres to have more than 1 or 2 entries. Would love to get everyone's thoughts!:

Fighting

• Street Fighter II: Championship Edition
  • Mortal Kombat II
  • Eternal Champions*
  • Yu Yu Hakusho Makyō Tōitsusen* (Treasure game)
Racing
  • Road Rash II
  • Outrun*
  • Super Hang On*

From what I've listed, the game I feel is most underrated is Alisia Dragoon. Really fun action-platformer that has a satisfying amount of exploration in all of the levels. I'm also probably one of the rare folks who didn't really like Strider, just felt that it aged poorly and I'd rather go with the 5 action-platformers I chose, but I'm definitely interested in hearing any rebuttals!

I'd say that Battle Mania Daiginjou is a must-play shmup on the system. You'll probably want to emulate it though, unless you have a spare £500/$700 lying around :eek:

Every time I see this console mentioned, my heart aches for the copy of Ranger-X that I should have purchased...but never did.

*turns away in dramatic fashion

Back