Sega IPs

Was it in a video he said that?
Yes, there is a video game channel on YouTube that is gaining in popularity named SpawnWave. And on Saturday nights they bring on other gaming YouTubers to talk about the week's news. This is called SpawnCast. On last night's SpawnCast (I believe it was #70) they got on the subject of Sega's fiscal earnings and then DreamcastGuy added in the info about the Sega IPs. I can't remember if SpawnWave posts their chats afterwards but you may be able to find last nights stream on YouTube. Also, there is always this awesome user in the comments who timestamps the topics in all of their videos.

Reactions: SCQ
It looks like they may delay posting the video for a few days but it should go up.

Reactions: SCQ
Why doesn't Sega still release those great AAA titles they once did?

Because, as great as they were, they didn't sell. Sega had to put their faith in franchises that would sell. Only in recent years have they started to dig into their vaults and bring back classics we love from the Saturn and Dreamcast era.

With Shenmue back, I'd love to see them revisit some of their other wonderful franchises, like Panzer Dragoon, Skies of Arcadia and Burning Rangers.

Yakuza releases and announcements, Sonic Mania, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Shining Resonance Refrain, Shenmue, games coming to PC and multi platform. Sega has been killing it as of late tbh.

In addition to Yakuza/Ryu ga Gotoku, the Initial D arcade game series isn't all that bad.

But yeah, I'd like to see them make a new Virtua Fighter, Fighting Vipers, Dyamite Deka, Streets of Rage, Daytona USA, Sega Rally and so on.

MAKE SEGA GREAT AGAIN!

100% 0.Its fantastic and set prior to 1.Also they implemented small nods to 0 in the remake of Kiwami 1. Kiwami is much smaller in scope than 0 and the story isn't as good, but still thoroughly enjoyable, just a heads up!

I would say that Kiwami is enjoyable as a Yakuza fan invested in the world and story of Yakuza but wouldn't recommend it to a newcomer as it feels outdated and lacks much of the content and quality of other titles that makes up for that outdated feel. Definitely start with zero, there's a reason why we heard so much about the game but not so much about Kiwami.

*sigh*

Complete and utter fallacy.

Story isn't as good? Subjective. 1's story is still probably the best in the entire series. Just because there is a large emotional aspect to 0's story, doesn't make it "amazing." Its good, VERY good (every game in the series has a great story), but there are a few issues here and there and the plot lags for the majority of the midgame (not my opinion either; the rise and fall of plot situations/devices is not used to great effect, hence the lag).

1 is Kiryu's defining story of all the games; it is brilliant, sets the tone and foundation for the rest of the series and Hase used a proper plot flow with writing, devices and characters, that makes the story brilliant, cohesive and focal. The only other story in the series like this, is 3, but that has a few lagging moments that take some luster out of the brilliant moments.

As for being smaller in scope/"outdated," this is a restored/remade version of the first title in the series, which was:

1. The shortest title in terms of playtime
2. The one with the least amount of features
3. Has a ton of, "early installment weirdness," that later titles would either refine or do without.

Thus, of course it'll be smaller in scope: you can't add 15 hours to a game without completely overhauling almost everything (like REmake).

Anyways, chronologically, it would be best to play them like this:

0, Kiwami, Kiwami 2, Kurohyo: Shinso, 3, Kenzan!, 4, Dead Souls, Kurohyo: Ashura Hen, 5, Ishin!, Hokuto ga Gotoku, 6

That's just my opinion, but it provides a nice bookend for the series as a whole, as well as Kiryu's beginning and end, plus a nice evolution for the series, plot-wise.

EDIT** BTW, the, "small nods to 0," should be reversed; 1 came before 0, not the other way around.

*sigh*

Complete and utter fallacy.

Story isn't as good? Subjective.
A subjective opinion most people tend to agree on, especially newcomers to the series hence why I would recommend 0 over kiwami
As for being smaller in scope/"outdated," this is a restored/remade version of the first title in the series, which was:

1. The shortest title in terms of playtime
2. The one with the least amount of features
3. Has a ton of, "early installment weirdness," that later titles would either refine or do without.
Which is why it's also preferable to recommend 0 over Kiwami as well as it being a prequel of course.

A subjective opinion most people tend to agree on, especially newcomers to the series hence why I would recommend 0 over kiwami

Which is why it's also preferable to recommend 0 over Kiwami as well as it being a prequel of course.

But it still doesn't make it better. :)

As to your second point, exactly; I wasn't wholly disagreeing with you ;)

I was merely pointing out that of course it'll be shorter and smaller; its a game that's 10 years older!

But it still doesn't make it better. :)

As to your second point, exactly; I wasn't wholly disagreeing with you ;)

I was merely pointing out that of course it'll be shorter and smaller; its a game that's 10 years older!
Yeah Zero is definitely the better game all around...

Back